Hacking Planning on Hacking Wii U: Where to Start?

HomebrewJay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been observing the hacking scene for the Wii U ever since its debut; and I think it's time to do so since Nintendo is (slightly) moving off towards the Switch now. I'm mainly doing this for my brother who wants to play standard emulation; but I still want to gather some info before I do anything else:

• Will you get banned? (This is a huge concern for him since he still wants to play online and whatnot with Wii U games)
  • I know that most emulators work fine, but what about DS games/ROMs? If so, what games are compatible?
  • Is homebrew installed through the actual Wii U menu or the vWii?
  • Is the latest update/firmware fine for homebrew? (We currently have 5.5.1 U)
I'd like these questions to be answered before I take action. Also, I'd like a link or site with a simple guide if possible. Thanks.

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. No, provided you don't go online with game cheating hacks, and that varies.
2. There's been a RetroArch port on the works called RetroU. There is also DS Virtual console injection that's been out for a while now, but lot's of games are finicky are don't work at all. You can check the compatibility list here.
3. If I remember correctly, not yet. However, redNAND has been in the works which allows for unsigned games to be installed. Soon we will most likely have installable homebrew. For now, we use Homebrew Launcher, which runs through the browser. vWii hacking is also possible, which allows for permanent homebrew installation. It is extremely similar to regular Wii hacking. Check out the excellent stickied guide.
4. Yes. Don't forget to disable updating!

Reactions: HomebrewJay

HomebrewJay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. No, provided you don't go online with game cheating hacks, and that varies.
2. There's been a RetroArch port on the works called RetroU. There is also DS Virtual console injection that's been out for a while now, but lot's of games are finicky are don't work at all. You can check the compatibility list here.
3. If I remember correctly, not yet. However, redNAND has been in the works which allows for unsigned games to be installed. Soon we will most likely have installable homebrew. For now, we use Homebrew Launcher, which runs through the browser. vWii hacking is also possible, which allows for permanent homebrew installation. It is extremely similar to regular Wii hacking. Check out the excellent stickied guide.
4. Yes. Don't forget to disable updating!
Thank you for replying so quickly. :)

Reactions: 7Robins

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head