Pikmin 3 enters UK chart at number 2

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Am I the only one not particularly impressed that a somewhat high profile release only topped #2 in a dead week and was beaten by a retail release of Minecraft for the Xbox 360?
No. I'm thinking that exact same thing here. Along with "I thought that sales figures weren't news?".

Worse: there's no link to actual sales numbers or even a freakin' top 10 of sold games. Result: this isn't even not news just by gbatemp standards, but it's not even news by any standards. That link is a blog of someone who actually saw a sales chart.

EDIT: sorry...I was wrong about that last one. :shy:

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No. I'm thinking that exact same thing here. Along with "I thought that sales figures weren't news?".

Worse: there's no link to actual sales numbers or even a freakin' top 10 of sold games. Result: this isn't even not news just by gbatemp standards, but it's not even news by any standards. That link is a blog of someone who actually saw a sales chart.

A) Almost all European-based gaming sites have published these results.
B) The source I linked to links to UKIE, which quotes GFK Chart-Track as the source. Don't complain you weren't able to "verify" just because you can't be arsed to follow more than one link. :tpi:
C)
Normally we do not go in for sales news but this is an upset of sorts so it counts.
I posted it in order to spark a discussion, and chose USN because it's current and I figured a mod would move it if they thought it wasn't relevant or newsworthy enough.

Also... waaaaaah! :cry:

Reactions: eyes

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Am I the only one not particularly impressed that a somewhat high profile release only topped #2 in a dead week and was beaten by a retail release of Minecraft for the Xbox 360?

Like if this was September it'd be a completely different ballgame but alas it's not.

Yes you are. Don't see that the Wii U is almost dead? A game topping to #2 is exactly like the image in the OP

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Wait wait wait... It got beaten by a retail release of an already digitally released game that's been out for years?

You really try hard to sound stupid, don't you?

Try comparing the console installed base of the one and the other... There is no comparison between 77.2 million of Xboxes vs 3.45 million of Wii U, is there?

Nintendo bashing is the new national pastime...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Here's how I see it:
  1. The couple hundred thousand WiiU users in the UK (no idea what the actual figure is - can't be arsed to check) who previously enjoyed nogaems saw that a gaem was released, immediately creamed their pants and stormed stores to buy it
  2. Soon all WiiU gamers even remotely interested in "Pikimin 3" will buy it
  3. The game will drop to the bottom of the chart like a raging boner of a virgin going flacid after the first stroke
Sorry to be the party pooper, but seeing that I don't see the appeal of Pikimin and mind you, I never have even back in the Gamecube days, I'm going to assume that early adopters jumped it because hey, there's nothing else out there for them.
To be fair though, "Pikimin 3" is advertised in the area I'm in right now. I even saw a Pikimin-themed phonebooth today while traveling through Cardiff - neat stuff.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really try hard to sound stupid, don't you?

Try comparing the console installed base of the one and the other... There is no comparison between 77.2 million of Xboxes vs 3.45 million of Wii U, is there?

Nintendo bashing is the new national pastime...
The comparison of a brand new supposed triple A title, to a game that was already released for over a year, and is now released again as a physical title beating out that "triple A title" is the point here.
Doesn't matter how big the console userbase is, fact is, a BRAND NEW GAME got outsold by a Game that was ALREADY out for a year, and is now the SAME game released on a disc.
Shut up with the Nintendo Victim crap, it's ridiculous.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
people bitching about no games on wii u (and btw I'm more sick about people saying gaems instead of games than people bashing the wii u) and when they release a game that a bunch of people did want it and buy it people still bitch about it

D

Deleted_171835

The comparison of a brand new supposed triple A title, to a game that was already released for over a year, and is now released again as a physical title beating out that "triple A title" is the point here.
Doesn't matter how big the console userbase is, fact is, a BRAND NEW GAME got outsold by a Game that was ALREADY out for a year, and is now the SAME game released on a disc.
Shut up with the Nintendo Victim crap, it's ridiculous.
Pikmin 3 is an AAA game now?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
First, I've never doubted Nintendo's ability to survive off of their first party titles alone.

However, a few reasons to doubt the importance of this.
1. Nintendo was extremely optimistic about the number of pre-orders on the console itself. After that, sales dropped off significantly. Those of us who do buy Nintendo stuff apparently buy it the first chance we get or don't buy it at all. We'll have to see these numbers in another month and see what's really happening here.

2. The figures could also be skewed by the fact that, IIRC, Nintendo of Europe is based in UK so they might have accidentally included the eShop sales from all of Europe as UK sales.

3. Kinda goes along with #1 but many who have a Wii U and also have either a PS3 or a 360, only have it with hopes of getting hold of some of those rare Wii U exclusives. Seeing that this qualifies both as exclusive AND first party, all the more reason to jump on the chance. They might run out of UK Wii U owners quickly, though.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
people bitching about no games on wii u (and btw I'm more sick about people saying gaems instead of games than people bashing the wii u) and when they release a game that a bunch of people did want it and buy it people still bitch about it

Don't hate the playa, hate the gaem. Or in the case of the WiiU, hate the no gaems.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I was one of the buyers! :D - and not because of 'no gaems' either, I've always enjoyed Pikmin, and am enjoying this one too up to now! Not exactly GOTY material, but still a worthy play.
Alas this #2, in game-drought time, means next to nothing really.... maybe even classed as a disappointment! Certainly nothing here that screams complete turnaround anyway, but Pikmin isn't a big hitter either. Think we've gotta wait for Super Mario 3D World - if that gets #2 or higher on release then it's something for Nin to shout about: if it bombs, well... the haters will have a fukkin field day! That's the big 'un either way!

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have to confess, I'm actually considering to buy a WiiU just for Pikmin 3. I just love those games so much.

2. The figures could also be skewed by the fact that, IIRC, Nintendo of Europe is based in UK so they might have accidentally included the eShop sales from all of Europe as UK sales.
NoE is based in Germany. In Großostheim, to be precise.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a bit of an update, following up on the discussion here...

Minecraft still number one, as Pikmin 3 crashes out of UK top 10

With four separate games in the individual formats top 10 you might expect Nintendo to be well pleased with this week’s chart results, but there’s unlikely to be too much champagne flowing given the second week performance of Pikmin 3.

The game only just missed out on the number one spot in its debut last week, but despite Nintendo titles traditionally doing better in their second week the game fell to number five in the individual formats chart and all the way to number 15 in the all formats.

That left the budget-priced Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition to enjoy its second week at number one in both charts, with only a 9 per cent drop in sales. Chart-Track has not revealed the size of Pikmin 3’s drop but The Last Of Us went down by only 2 per cent, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf showed no change at all.

Um, Ninten-year-olds, ;o;, etc. etc.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a bit of an update, following up on the discussion here...

Minecraft still number one, as Pikmin 3 crashes out of UK top 10

Um, Ninten-year-olds, ;o;, etc. etc.

Really though, charts are kind of a skewed thing to take into consideration.

You have this game that's been out for such a long time, and is only 10 bucks, against a title in a franchise which it's prequel came out 8 years ago. And to be frank, while Pikmin might help sell a million consoles or so globally, the franchise isn't as widely known as Minecraft or Nintendo's other franchises.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really though, charts are kind of a skewed thing to take into consideration.

You have this game that's been out for such a long time, and is only 10 bucks, against a title in a franchise which it's prequel came out 8 years ago. And to be frank, while Pikmin might help sell a million consoles or so globally, the franchise isn't as widely known as Minecraft or Nintendo's other franchises.

Minecraft is still a fair comparison since, while it is cheap, it's also been out for ages by this point. Plus, you can definitely compare it to something like The Last of Us, which is both an entirely new IP in a not-terrifically popular genre and already months old at this point.

Pikmin 3 may be a fine game, but it's becoming obvious that it won't be moving many consoles off store shelves (even that "million" prediction seems overly optimistic). Those hoping for a Wii U-turn will have to put their hopes elsewhere.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Minecraft is still a fair comparison since, while it is cheap, it's also been out for ages by this point. Plus, you can definitely compare it to something like The Last of Us, which is both an entirely new IP in a not-terrifically popular genre and already months old at this point.

Pikmin 3 may be a fine game, but it's becoming obvious that it won't be moving many consoles off store shelves (even that "million" prediction seems overly optimistic). Those hoping for a Wii U-turn will have to put their hopes elsewhere.

But Minecraft and Last of Us get A LOT more coverage than Pikmin. Which brings it to the main point, that Nintendo has to get on the ball with the advertising and start showing this game off. Last of Us got a lot of advertising and word of it spread like wildfire through the internet.

Same with Minecraft with so many gaming sites writing daily articles about it, that and it's also on a 7 year old console that has like a 73 million install base so the chance of sales being higher is easy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1