Pikmin 3 enters UK chart at number 2

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by McHaggis, Jul 29, 2013.

1. McHaggis
    OP

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    [​IMG]

For any other game on any other console I'd have just shrugged at this, but for the struggling Wii U I find this rather interesting. The Wii U itself is (was?) barely selling in the UK, so it's surprising to see even a first-party release in the top 5.

If anything, this proves how strong Nintendo's brand is for software. With more 1st party titles on the way over the next few months, do you think this is only the first step in the successful resuscitation of the Wii U?

:arrow: Source

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Of course this does not matter to me as I don't like pikmin but it is good to know that if these first party games can sell a lot then third party companies would be able to open the brains and port good and new ports with full features from there competitors

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Normally we do not go in for sales news but this is an upset of sorts so it counts.

What I do want to ponder though is given we are technically in the middle of the mid year drought might that have troubled things as far as stats go?

4. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    With only a week of sales data unfortunately this doesn't mean anything....the game starvation the Wii U has seen, the sudden promotion of Pikmin 3 on freely available TV channel adverts and the desperation of people for some reason to use their Wii U's could all account for this initial flurry.

The question is will it remain selling at a good rate, because if these figures (Over 5.729 - Under 16.102 according to a guy on Neogaf) disappear it'll be more worrying...it's much better to have a slow burner with sustained sales than a couple of weeks of fame and then nothing. This game alone, especially after one week, is not enough to say anything about the fate of the Wii U other than quite a few people in the UK actually own the console and want games gaems.

(and being beaten by Minecraft would irritate me if I were a U owner.)

[lol] likes this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    well it's obvious they had nothing else to play :creep:

6. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I can't believe people are so eager to play LEMMINGS 3 ;O;

EZ-Megaman and Langin like this.
  7. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    "Holy shit, Sainsbury's are now selling 5 Wii U games".

That was my first thought when I saw this on sale, the other 4 games were Injustice, NSMBU, Some Ubisoft budget sports game and LEGO City Stories. I never saw any other Wii U releases likes RE: Revelations.

The sales are not surprising to me, most places have it for 35 quid (Nintendo could easily charge more what with the drought) and it's not just one of the most anticipated Wii U titles but one of the years, people have been wanting this game for several years.

Dunno if it would have much impact on the sales of the console but it won't hurt and they will rise as Nintendo themselves have at least one big release a month between now and Xmas, there could even be a big spike in sales that'll make the Wii U look like it's doing well but then the Dreamcast had the same thing and then the PS2 came out...

[​IMG]

EZ-Megaman, weavile001, f0rCe and 3 others like this.
  8. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Wait wait wait... It got beaten by a retail release of an already digitally released game that's been out for years?

9. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    This is the only game that I need when I finally buy a WiiU.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    This is definite proof that the Wii U sales aren't as bad as people make them out to be.
    Or every single person with a Wii U bought the game.

11. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    No it's not. If the sales abruptly cease or even rapidly decline next week and those following it's potentially worse news as it's indicative people aren't being spurred to buy new Wii U consoles.

Until we have more data it doesn't mean anything.

12. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    The problem is that this doesn't list how many copies were actually sold, which is kind of important in determining if this is actually a big win or if it reached its position because people are buying less games right now.

The Wii U has only managed to sell 179k units in the UK since January, so it's pretty clear the system's sales are weak in the region. If I had to be a sourpuss, and I do, I'd say that the latter option is closer to the truth. Pikmin 3 is the first high profile exclusive to come out in a long while, and it doesn't really have any competition on the system; if you're a Wii U owner, Pikmin 3 is just about all you have right now. These factors are probably driving the surge in sales more than anything else.

If the game can maintain its sales and spur more people to pick up the system, that will be a success for Nintendo. Until we see that happen, however, it's a bit too early to celebrate.

McHaggis likes this.
  13. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States

Now if Pikmin was significantly low, then people would be quick to say doooooom, but since it's not, every doubt and excuse has to be pulled out of the wazoo.

14. chavosaur

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I think you're the one with every Doubt and Excuse to show the system IS doing well when it's NOT doing well ._.;

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  15. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    Are you implying that Lemmings is a bad game ?

2ndApex and Maxternal like this.
  16. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Am I the only one not particularly impressed that a somewhat high profile release only topped #2 in a dead week and was beaten by a retail release of Minecraft for the Xbox 360?

Like if this was September it'd be a completely different ballgame but alas it's not.

Obveron, Gahars and chavosaur like this.
  17. chavosaur

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Nah just implying I don't see the fanaticism ^_^;

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  18. McHaggis
    OP

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    In some (not all :P) fairness, Pikmin was released on Friday (so it's Minecraft's 7 days vs 3 days), and retail sales could have been hampered by download sales due to the promotion for 30% off The Wonderful 101 you get if you buy Pikmin 3 from the eShop.

FWIW, I'm a Wii U owner and I'm passing on Pikmin 3 right now. I remember enjoying Pikmin, but not enough to buy the sequel or this iteration of the series. I'm just patiently waiting for other games at this point, though I lament being an early adopter of the Wii U. I hope sales keep up for the sake of the console, but I suspect you might be right.

EZ-Megaman, Gahars and chavosaur like this.
  19. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I'm glad the Wii U sold so many copies of a game: but I think it'll have to have another success story with another game before people take a gamble to release other games for the system.

20. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Eh, Minecraft also got third spot in the June NDP. It's still crazy popular.