Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

mlinares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi! Sorry for the flood as I have posted this question aswell on the HWFly RP2040 thread.
I have recently installed one of these RP2040 HWFly Core boards on a Mariko V2 with Samsung EMMC.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EuMhJjZ

It came without preloaded FW, installed 2.73 everything went fine, good solder work and am getting insta boot all times.

Hekate just loads fine but got the EMMC on slow mode while doing the NAND bak which completed successfully two times, but took longer.

It boots with EMMC @400Mhz but after some reads goes into slow mode (backups / benchmark)

Hekate EMMC screens tells me init error counter as 2. No R/W errors and the EMMC goes into slow mode.

Was able to boot HOS just fine but games with the updates installed on the EMMC are crashing almost always.

Do you have any ideas? Defective chip? Badly installed EMMC module on the Pico board?
DAT0/CMD resistors?

Am thinking into buying an SX based HWFly which are still available on AliExpress.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi! Sorry for the flood as I have posted this question aswell on the HWFly RP2040 thread.
I have recently installed one of these RP2040 HWFly Core boards on a Mariko V2 with Samsung EMMC.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EuMhJjZ

It came without preloaded FW, installed 2.73 everything went fine, good solder work and am getting insta boot all times.

Hekate just loads fine but got the EMMC on slow mode while doing the NAND bak which completed successfully two times, but took longer.

It boots with EMMC @400Mhz but after some reads goes into slow mode (backups / benchmark)

Hekate EMMC screens tells me init error counter as 2. No R/W errors and the EMMC goes into slow mode.

Was able to boot HOS just fine but games with the updates installed on the EMMC are crashing almost always.

Do you have any ideas? Defective chip? Badly installed EMMC module on the Pico board?
DAT0/CMD resistors?

Am thinking into buying an SX based HWFly which are still available on AliExpress.

This is no hwfly thread .

Ask ur supplier or in the other thread.
Post automatically merged:

Yep, soldered on fine. Checked with fresh board with original 47 ones on and got the same error code. Might be the batch I got from the seller or something else completely but @twins333 experienced the same thing too.

Thats unfortunate. You could try shortening them but it could be you knocked off a component somewhere. If its not booting normally there's something missing or broken off. But it's a Lite and alot of people, including me, have botched it. I personally think it's more sensitive than others but who knows for sure.

After putting them in, they showed 100.7 and 101 ohms. Roughly. Put pressure on them to see if they were in properly and they were.

Did u buy the original ones or the clones?
I only buy the original ones.
Maybe that's the issue there.
Like I said never had a issue with those tiny boards my future install will only be tinyes since they are already without USB and have resistors in them.

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles

Like I said never had a issue with those tiny boards my future install will only be tinyes since they are already without USB and have resistors in them.
I didn't know up until now about clones or real ones. I thought they were all good to go? Bought from this seller:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.b37e1802Fo8czT

Probably clones then. shit!

Do you have a link to the originals that you bought?

Last edited by Takezo-San,

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all oled need 100ohm, I had only a few times a issue with slow emmc.
I just go straight for 100ohm so I don't run into any issues
Nice. If an OLED gives you slow emmc, does it boot to OFW? (before swapping to 100ohms resistor)?

Yeah not good at all. I'm not sure why you're thinking about 2.74!? I never mentioned anything about that fw. I've been using 2.73 and on this one too. Even tried swapping out for a fresh tiny board and same thing. Never using these boards on an Oled. Might give other versions ago since I have a couple tiny boards now. But I think the nature of the oled, requiring 100ohms etc. Probably wee bit more power full than others. Ordered some normal rp zero locally. Hopefully it glitches. Thing is there was no white light to begin with on this tiny board. Shoddy board.

In conclusion:

ben-stiller-cancel-it.gif
Where did you buy it from though? I got mine from WaveShare directly. Will try it out and see.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice. If an OLED gives you slow emmc, does it boot to OFW? (before swapping to 100ohms resistor)?

Where did you buy it from though? I got mine from WaveShare directly. Will try it out and see.

No gives u a black screen .
After my first black screen I checked the emmc and then it gave me slow mode after the benchmark.
Before benchmark I haven't had a slow emmc message.

I didn't know up until now about clones or real ones. I thought they were all good to go? Bought from this seller:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.b37e1802Fo8czT

Probably clones then. shit!

Do you have a link to the originals that you bought?

I just order them how I need them on amazon.

The last couples order I made at Ali express I had issues , they where never delivered and it was a bitch for me to get a refund.

So that why I try not to order there anymore.

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles

You might be good then.

No gives u a black screen .
After my first black screen I checked the emmc and then it gave me slow mode after the benchmark.
Before benchmark I haven't had a slow emmc message.

I just order them how I need them on amazon.

The last couples order I made at Ali express I had issues , they where never delivered and it was a bitch for me to get a refund.

So that why I try not to order there anymore.
Yeah, I think I got scammed. No more China orders for me. Just takes too long and no guarantee. Thanks again for you guys' input. Atleast it puts one's mind at ease.

O_xTanjax_O

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking to buy a switch lite to try this mod out. Im looking at the pdf for the guide but I am unsure of one thing. Can I do it with 1 mosfet? or do I need two? ($5 is steep for such a small thing ) :).

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Looking to buy a switch lite to try this mod out. Im looking at the pdf for the guide but I am unsure of one thing. Can I do it with 1 mosfet? or do I need two? ($5 is steep for such a small thing ) :).
The mosfet is cheap, in my local is around $1.4 per 10 pcs

Logically speaking one is enough. I always use one.
But theres people said one is not enough.

O_xTanjax_O

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mosfet is cheap, in my local is around $1.4 per 10 pcs

Logically speaking one is enough. I always use one.
But theres people said one is not enough.
Oh wow didn't think id run into you lol. Uhm, Ya I noticed they had you on the guide for the alternate side of the mbo to use 1 mosfet. I think, ill just get the 1 and see what happens :/.

I'm not sure why the ebay seller is selling ONE for 5$. There is a china seller that has 10 for $8 but I am unsure if this one is the right model... the listing name "10 PCS New IRFHS8342TRPBF IRS8342 6-VQFN ic chip" but on the images it has "IRS8342 2NRMP" on the chip

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Oh wow didn't think id run into you lol. Uhm, Ya I noticed they had you on the guide for the alternate side of the mbo to use 1 mosfet. I think, ill just get the 1 and see what happens :/.
Yeah if it didn't work then use 2 mosfet.
Use enough tin and solid soldered.
I'm not sure why the ebay seller is selling ONE for 5$. There is a china seller that has 10 for $8 but I am unsure if this one is the right model... the listing name "10 PCS New IRFHS8342TRPBF IRS8342 6-VQFN ic chip" but on the images it has "IRS8342 2NRMP" on the chip
Buying also skill, which i think i lack. I can't give good advise on it.

So far i bought the cheapest one.
Usually bought 10-20pcs at one time. Since its usually the minimum lot we might buy at one delivery, cause of the cheapness.

I just search on aliexpress, the price is similar
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32697729029.html

Reactions: O_xTanjax_O

O_xTanjax_O

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah if it didn't work then use 2 mosfet.
Use enough tin and solid soldered.

Buying also skill, which i think i lack. I can't give good advise on it.

So far i bought the cheapest one.
Usually bought 10-20pcs at one time. Since its usually the minimum lot we might buy at one delivery, cause of the cheapness.

I just search on aliexpress, the price is similar
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32697729029.html
I cant use aliexpress because my location causes them to give some obscure shipping cost (like 80$+). Also I didn't know if i could send links but looks like i can. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234773650544 Would this mosfet be the same as the ones we are using for the mod? if so id prefer to get these since its better value.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I cant use aliexpress because my location causes them to give some obscure shipping cost (like 80$+). Also I didn't know if i could send links but looks like i can. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234773650544 Would this mosfet be the same as the ones we are using for the mod? if so id prefer to get these since its better value.
Yes it is.

Reactions: O_xTanjax_O

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Great. Finished ordered everything. Now the long itchy wait for everything to get here. Also have any install pics on the lite I can see/get a hold of?
You could just search in this thread and the aio thread, theres ton of picture and video.
You might also see the 'important post' that is the original works from @rehius.
Thanks to him, that the party is go on and on. :D

twins333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
was thinking that too. 2.73. I think the tiny is shoddy. I ran out of normal ones so ordered some of these. Will order a normal one and see what happens. Hope its just the chip. Thanks for the response and glad that someone else went through this. Did going to normal RP2040 work for you?
Yes, switching to the regular one worked on the first try.

I posted a link to the ones I bought, a while back. The tinies should work, maybe bad batch or clones for me?

You might be good then.

Yeah, I think I got scammed. No more China orders for me. Just takes too long and no guarantee. Thanks again for you guys' input. Atleast it puts one's mind at ease.
For me, ordering directly from waveshare is cheaper. I just wish I would have found out it was cheaper (and apparently safer as well) before ordering from aliexpress :)))

Last edited by twins333,
Reactions: Takezo-San

ice2k6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Remove your Dat0 wire from board .clean the pad and upload closeup picture. I guess you ripped Dat0 pad on the left.
You're absolutely right. I did ripped the pad 🤦‍♂️

Is there a way to "fix" this?

Attachments

• IMG-20230820-WA0155.jpg
    IMG-20230820-WA0155.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 18

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You're absolutely right. I did ripped the pad 🤦‍♂️

Is there a way to "fix" this?
Yeah u have to reconstruct the connection try to get some solder sticking to that point.
And then reconnect to the other pad.

Take a 0.1mm wire and add solder on the tip , add flux to the solder point and solder the wire to the dat0 u ripped and to the one its normally connected.

U can also use solder repair pads if u have some

Telling from the picture I see 5 pads all together ripped.
Just do it like u did on the bottum and hope u get a good connection

Reactions: ice2k6

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.