Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello! Guys I have a weird problem here. From the beginning: brand new switch oled, successfully updated to 16.0.2 before picofly install. Dat0 was soldered with enameled wire via reballing Hynix emmc. I’ve soldered all other wires to it’s places (but not to rp2040) and booted stock FINE, just to test everything works - and it worked :). Flashed 2.66 to rp2040, soldered all wires and booted to raspberry fly boot logo just fine. Assembled back whole console and saw that 2.67 is out. Tried to update, but fw remains the same 2.66 :(. Then I tried to boot stock and got instant purple screen. According to my knowledge it should be a CMD 4.7k resistor, but it was fine, and replacement to working one did not solved the issue. I decided to reball emmc once again and at the same time check continuity from switch board on pad under emmc ic to the point connected to 4.7k resistor and it was OK. After placing back emmc nothing changed. Hekate boots fine and I decided to check emmc info. Here what I got. Seems like corrupted info in user partition :(. Emmc benchmark passes ok, reading speeds are fine and health of emmc ic is 100%.
So my question what have happened? :). I’ve allready made about 15 oleds with rp2040 from initial 2.5 to 2.66 firmwares and it was always fine. It is definitely not the soldering issue, cause I’ve double checked everything and it boots hekate just fine. May a rp2040 ruin user partition on emmc? Data corruption on reballing process is also unlikely, because boot0/1 partitions are alive and I’ve made boot and raw backups just fine (no errors).
And the second question is how to restore this switch back to working order? Seems that I need to generate user partition, or may be there is an option to restore it, may be info is alive, only partition table is broken?
how did you try to update the rp2040 firmware? the toolbox or reflashing?
Did you make the backup before or after trying to boot stock?

achm3t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
sk hynix emmc's are more brittle than others and need a slower temperature rise when removing and reattaching to pcb. what's your heating method and temperature?
300 Celsius for 2 minutes for desoldering, about 1.5 minute for soldering back. But how it can not completely dead? Boot 0/1 are working. And also how it was working immediately after reballing (remember I’ve booted stock before solderin rp2040 and it was working like a charm)

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
300 Celsius for 2 minutes for desoldering, about 1.5 minute for soldering back. But how it can not completely dead? Boot 0/1 are working. And also how it was working immediately after reballing (remember I’ve booted stock before solderin rp2040 and it was working like a charm)
300c straight ahead wow

i would advise u to start with 100 for 60sec then up to 200 for 60 sec and then slowly rise the temp up till the emmc moves

Reactions: ZERO2028

achm3t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Welp RIP the spare. Contacts ripped off. :/
Well, no problem, just use this point instead of ripped traces on the flex :)
Post automatically merged:

how did you try to update the rp2040 firmware? the toolbox or reflashing?
Did you make the backup before or after trying to boot stock?
I’ve tried to update via toolbox, and it shows update done, but version of picofly fw is not changing (may be because of emmc malfunction). Backup successfully made after trying to boot to stock. As soon as I don’t know for sure stock Hynix emmc status, I can easily replace it with 64gb emmc from steam deck, have plenty of those (hope they are compatible).

Well, does somebody know way to restore this switch? Any software to generate missing info? I don’t know where switch is holding its unique info/keys, hope it would be possible to re-create it’s nand, boot0/1 are alive.

Attachments

• D4097040-1753-455A-A004-0699526A5F04.jpeg
    D4097040-1753-455A-A004-0699526A5F04.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by achm3t,
Reactions: FreeLander

rodrigues14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@rehius ypu know something about tegraexplorer systemrestore script not working with picofly? I try it and give error on backup boot0 or on atire boot0, when i put hwfly all works fine. My point is as issue on pico fw or payload/script need update?

Btw Thank you so much for awesome work!

jeka1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
This happens because of interference on eMMC lines. After the logo NS switches to the high speed mode. You can test eMMC benchmark in hekate - in perfect conditions you should get around 200-350 MB/s.

To fix that ensure you have resistors on D0, CMD, CLK, the wires are well soldered, short and aligned the same way

Same here. Show us pictures of your soldering, looks like it is flawed in some way
i am getting 288MB/s. I am on fw.2.67. I resolder it again and nothing :(.

• Sad
Reactions: impeeza

Dandan0404

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
quick question, on updating from 2.65 to 2.67 picofly using toolbox. where is the update.bin?

SD CARD root or bootloader folder? im using hats pack and i have 2 update.bin

jeka1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
put it to make a benchmark send the result here attachment
I uploaded pictures :

Can 'black screen' in OFW and CFW be because of CPU ???

Attachments

• 20230428_165033_HDR.jpg
    20230428_165033_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20230428_165359_HDR.jpg
    20230428_165359_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 67

Dandan0404

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Just a small nitpick since im very much meticulous...

how to fix the missing charging icon when dock/charged on top left. i feel something is not right and it wont show any more

jeka1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova
redoes the entire welding process
does not leave even a residue of flux
I removed everything and borrowed a rcm loader from my friend and it's the same : hekate boot but OFW and CFW showes black screen. Maybe it's hardware or not ? I don't know.

AceCuba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
im stil waiting for the components , im from cuba so the stuff wil get here on july , china - usa - cuba , you know life jaajaj . im just studing and reserching everything

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol