Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

FlowerFire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there complete but dont boot into HOS as rehius doesn't support piracy...
He might not support piracy but I guess he likes to support goons selling an overpriced chip used for... Piracy.
Dunno, he could've blocked emunand or something, NOT the whole Atmosphere thing. I just want to use Mario Odyssey and Smash practice mods.
I really, really hate being rude towards someone who gives a huge help to reach a certain goal. However I can't just help to point out that much hypocrisy (and/or stupidity).

MusicCanKill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
there complete but dont boot into HOS as rehius doesn't support piracy...
And he chose the correct way to show that people are hypocrites saying that they don't want it for piracy!
We can already have any emulator we want through linux (and android) , but people keep asking for HOS support..
The only real reason for that is piracy...
So, sorry but personally I m with him on that and his firmware is indeed complete!
Post automatically merged:

He might not support piracy but I guess he likes to support goons selling an overpriced chip used for... Piracy.
Dunno, he could've blocked emunand or something, NOT the whole Atmosphere thing. I just want to use Mario Odyssey and Smash practice mods.
I really, really hate being rude towards someone who gives a huge help to reach a certain goal. However I can't just help to point out that much hypocrisy (and/or stupidity).
Even though i haven't seen any pico based chip on public sale (or even on private apart from here which i m not 100% sure it really works as we only have boot videos till hekate so it could be the same ubuntu firmware), as the firmware he made is not able to boot HOS , there is no way for somebody to take that firmware and make a "product for sale" that boots hos without reversing it..So it is not hypocrisy at all from his side...
To be honest, it is way harder to reverse what he did and decrypt it that to rewrite it from scratch if somebody wants to enable piracy....

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, it is way harder to reverse what he did and decrypt it that to rewrite it from scratch if somebody wants to enable piracy....

Agree this is probably the best way forward.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The whole reason you install a modchip in the first place is to have the freedom to run whatever you want. Restricting it doesn't make you better than Nintendo who implemented the DRM. And no, Atmosphere is not piracy. There are multiple legit use cases like mods and cheats. It's piracy if the user decides to install sigpatches and illegally optained game dumps.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
The whole reason you install a modchip in the first place is to have the freedom to run whatever you want. Restricting it doesn't make you better than Nintendo who implemented the DRM. And no, Atmosphere is not piracy. There are multiple legit use cases like mods and cheats. It's piracy if the user decides to install sigpatches and illegally optained game dumps.
Sigpatches are not piracy dude, none of the code in those are copyright or anything that's illegal in any way. Those patches just patch an instruction at an offset based on a files sha256 value. However downloading game dumps and playing them is. Sigpatches can be used for nro forwarders or installing homebrew nro/xci files or for running those.

FlowerFire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even though i haven't seen any pico based chip on public sale (or even on private apart from here which i m not 100% sure it really works as we only have boot videos till hekate so it could be the same ubuntu firmware), as the firmware he made is not able to boot HOS , there is no way for somebody to take that firmware and make a "product for sale" that boots hos without reversing it..So it is not hypocrisy at all from his side...
I'm clearly talking about the HWFLY, which is still an overpriced clone of a chip from people who literally got arrested.
Just blocking EmuMMC would already cut down piracy by huge deal, since no one is a big fan of getting banned. Blocking the whole Atmosphere CFW is just being stupid and/or oblivious to that.
Those who want to really pirate can do some simple math and reach the conclusion that they'd spend less by buying a 70$ chip once instead of buying even a single game like Zelda.
But sure, I guess it's better to just say "pIrAcy Is bAd!!!" and keep on licking HWFLY's shoes, than actually open your eyes

Mansi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I think he only did it because he can! And he wanted to prove that it was possible. And the download of HOS was blocked intentionally, because. With this firmware, he did not earn anything. If some money had been transferred to him, he would have completed the project and made it possible to boot HOS.

So projects on rp2040 are real and realizable.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only goons here are people like you

Just because the dev won’t help you with “muh piracy”

The dev locking out atmosphere does absolutely nothing for chip manufacturers..especially when it was designed for a $5 readily available raspberry pi lmao

Why block emunand ? That’s just another way for you to say you just want HOS support.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: hi everyone.