Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, that doesn't mean that I will not add @abal1000x's discovery to the guide, quite the contrary. I plan to add his MOSFET placement and the home button LED mod to the guide in the next revision. I just like to wait several days to see if any issues are going to arise. Let people try the mods and sus out any potential issues (like the joycon reset issues on the home button joycon mod) before posting it to the guide, so I can cover all potential bases of issue an installer might have.

I was just giving further reasons why @abal1000x's idea could be more efficient. No reason to be defensive. I deliberately avoided talking about the guide even.

Reactions: superxoi

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mosfet below?
Well I did try it on my personal Oled did get it running with one MOSFET for the first time on a Oled :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
But with very slow glitching.
I'm gonna do some more testing later
okay i did get it fixed and have faster glitching now i just didnt add enough solder to it i guess :-)

this was a short test , for now ill do some more testing tommorow but i thin its fine now.
getting some more resistors tommorow so ill also do some testing with 100ohm on dat0
and finally add a 1k pulldown on the mosfet Xd

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just kidding bro Xd
just kidding bro Xd
Huh?
i-dont-get-it-clueless.gif

Post automatically merged:

okay i did get it fixed and have faster glitching now i just didnt add enough solder to it i guess :-)

this was a short test , for now ill do some more testing tommorow but i thin its fine now.
getting some more resistors tommorow so ill also do some testing with 100ohm on dat0
and finally add a 1k pulldown on the mosfet Xd

@abal1000x didn't your testing conclude 'bigger than 1k' for pulldown?

Ragna666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Okay so you’re right, I opened up my switch and it looks like there’s a lost connection to the RST and potentially D0. Should I ask my modded to re-do the whole thing? The way he attached the resistors look different from how everyone does it.

Here's my answer, i done today my lil bro v2.
And it's my first install.
There was a little problem with the d0 and mosfet.
The cpu clamp is touched these cables that was the problem.
Don't place cables under the cpu heatsink clamp because it's very sensitive to force and you can get d0 error, mosfet error or big black lazy D.
maybe only this enameled wire like this.

Don't be afraid of that white paste on the chip and solder points, that is uv mask to ensure nothing get sorted and the soldering stay in place.
With the solder masking it takes hours but it's gonna be more stable and reliable.

Attachments

• IMG_20230702_214700.jpg
    IMG_20230702_214700.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 44
  • VID_20230702_235823.mp4
    8.9 MB
Reactions: QuiTim

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
good to know this, could be useful someday, but for now I afraid of bridging pin more than open apu shield, in the pic of oled, the cap is quite close to other component. Pretty sure this kind of installation never appear elsewhere. So if you want to make a video about that. It is ok, but be aware of the risk it could bring.
I don't know why people afraid on bridging on there.

I also experiment on adding cap on the center of the crowded caps in there, to see if it could reduce the glitch time on mariko. Got accidentally bridging cap in there and unbrigde it. The key to unbridge is you must use a very high temperature, in my station i set it to 400 degrees Celsius, lot of flux, low temp solder, and wick to suck the tin out.

For me the risk on modding the cpu is greater than cap in the back. First, the cpu cap is so small, and since its cpu, its designed to suck heat. So soldering in there is difficult with a high risk in broking the cap and/or cpu. While the cap in the back was so big, you could literally use high temperature without worrying gonna destroy the cap, or cpu. You also need not worry some debris will goes to the BGA of the cpu.

In my opinion the risk is lesser than modding the cpu caps.

I don't know a thing about making video on youtube. So i pass on that to other which have the knowledge on it. :D

@abal1000x didn't your testing conclude 'bigger than 1k' for pulldown?
Not yet experiment on it.
By calculation its should be 300k.
But if i do the trial, i will start on 100k then 50k, then 20k, and 10k.
I think 1k is too small.

Last edited by abal1000x,

frozenboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I don't know why people afraid on bridging on there.

I also experiment on adding cap on the center of the crowded caps in there, to see if it could reduce the glitch time on mariko. Got accidentally bridging cap in there and unbrigde it. The key to unbridge is you must use a very high temperature, in my station i set it to 400 degrees Celsius, lot of flux, low temp solder, and wick to suck the tin out.

For me the risk on modding the cpu is greater than cap in the back. First, the cpu cap is so small, and since its cpu, its designed to suck heat. So soldering in there is difficult with a high risk in broking the cap and/or cpu. While the cap in the back was so big, you could literally use high temperature without worrying gonna destroy the cap, or cpu. You also need not worry some debris will goes to the BGA of the cpu.

In my opinion the risk is lesser than modding the cpu caps.

I don't know a thing about making video on youtube. So i pass on that to other which have the knowledge on it. :D

Not yet experiment on it.
By calculation its should be 300k.
But if i do the trial, i will start on 100k then 50k, then 20k, and 10k.
I think 1k is too small.
I've check the cap on oled, it quite good point, avoid open apu shield, clean paste... and just get D point from it could save lot of time. But for the s pin, I won't risk it. S point can get from any gnd pad

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I've check the cap on oled, it quite good point, avoid open apu shield, clean paste... and just get D point from it could save lot of time. But for the s pin, I won't risk it. S point can get from any gnd pad
The first time i experiment i also do that, just solder the D part. The s part using other point.

So if the experiment failed, its easily removed.

But after the experiment successful, its safe to solder both on the caps.
Of course it will be harder to remove, but that the whole point, so no mechanical shake could remove it. Who knows that switch will be used to play some moving activity games.

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I did try it on my personal Oled did get it running with one MOSFET for the first time on a Oled :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Interesting. What's your strategy? ONE mosfet for V2/Lite, and TWO for OLED? Before using this.

LuigiGad

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've done many OLEDs with Flex v1 no boot delay

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_175230.jpg
    IMG_20230630_175230.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've done many OLEDs with Flex v1 no boot delay
Well lucky u :-) I tried a pled first with 1 MOSFET didn't work after that is only went with 2 cause I didn't wanna fuck around with it.
But I did add more solder and that worked also I did it on the back side ;-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3