Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

handsom_tomato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sweeeet! 🤩

Only thing you missed was taking off the 'side-clip-rail' for the two big RAM chips on the left hand side looking under the picofly.
It's what the RAM cover you cut away would have clipped onto (mind the tiny caps around it).
The picofly sits lower then.

Looking good however!
Ant
I think it may be difficult to see in that photo, but I removed it anyway. However, in my case, it still protrudes a little bit. But in the end, the back cover closed properly, so it's okay!

vagenam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can find those low profile buttons in joycons\lites and 3x on pwr\vol button flex cable.
cool, didn't know that. Thanks
Post automatically merged:

Know of anyone doing thermal tests w\ different pastes?
i'd say go for thermal grizzly aeronaut. Its probably the best or at least on of the best thermal pastes for air cooling

i'd say go for thermal grizzly aeronaut. Its probably the best or at least on of the best thermal pastes for air cooling
that's what i buy every time i build a pc and it never let me down, doesn't dry up after a long time also so that's a plus

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no not really but i heard it isnt the best
Personally I don't touch the pink stuff on the copper pipe and metal backplate. I agree it seems like it probably doesn't work well but I also don't like my MX4 gooping everywhere if I open it again.

I'll try to do some testing with the thermal pads I have. I already wanted to test removing the shielding over the RAM (metal backplate too), I think it will guide the air over the RAM and help cool it. Glad I have lots of spare parts.

I really want to buy the puffy stuff that comes in modern consoles now (XbOneX\XbSeries-S|X\PS5). Don't know what it's called though.

Reactions: juanvlc

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just for the image its worth putting it in the oled
IMG_20230405_200444.jpg

vagenam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Personally I don't touch the pink stuff on the copper pipe and metal backplate. I agree it seems like it probably doesn't work well but I also don't like my MX4 gooping everywhere if I open it again.

I'll try to do some testing with the thermal pads I have. I already wanted to test removing the shielding over the RAM (metal backplate too), I think it will guide the air over the RAM and help cool it. Glad I have lots of spare parts.

I really want to buy the puffy stuff that comes in modern consoles now (XbOneX\XbSeries-S|X\PS5). Don't know what it's called though.
If you want to replace thermal pads with goop than the only option I know of is K5 pro viscous thermal paste. Should perform better then any thermal pad also but the cleanup if you decided you don't want it wouldn't be nice I'd guess

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

that's what i buy every time i build a pc and it never let me down, doesn't dry up after a long time also so that's a plus
So expensive though.

I just ordered some MX6 and a 100x100x1mm sheet of TP-3. So, I'll have 2 pastes (MX4\6) and 3 different types (and thicknesses) of thermal pads to test out in various configurations. I've heard you can use thermal paste with pads, and stack pads, but obviously use as little amount of layers as possible. Just more things to test.

Reactions: Dee87

vagenam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So expensive though.

I just ordered some MX6 and a 100x100x1mm sheet of TP-3. So, I'll have 2 pastes (MX4\6) and 3 different types (and thicknesses) of thermal pads to test out in various configurations. I've heard you can use thermal paste with pads, and stack pads, but obviously use as little amount of layers as possible. Just more things to test.
Are you trying to figgure out if better cooling gives better performance or something else?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Xbox one, Xbox Series S/X use thermal paste, while PS5 use liquid metal. As for thermal paste for the switch, MX4 is a good choice.

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to figgure out if better cooling gives better performance or something else?
Just 'best cooling configuration\mod'

IE; What EXACTLY happens to various temperatures when:
1.Cutting the case\frame\backplates\shielding

and\or
2.Replacing paste(s) w\ different paste(s)\pads

I'll be using a thermal cam, IR sensor and the probe on my DMM to verify.

One day...

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Know of anyone doing thermal tests w\ different pastes?
There is a thread here on GBATemp where somebody do several test and temp comparisions, then some others put theirs test and on average, there is no noticeable difference between cheap and high priced pastes on the Switch nor different shapes of put on it, I don't remember the name of the thread but you can find it easy using the search function at top.

• Love
Reactions: LogicalMadness

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments +1