tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Source.

I am not one for trying to rewrite the article to make myself a redundant publisher, but I think this lawsuit is a good thing.

Japanese media has the habit of profiting off of the artwork/music of others and rarely being called out on it or acknowledging that they are doing it. It's annoying. I hope this suit sends a shockwave throughout that complex, and they start creating more content or crediting artists, instead of relying too much on copy/paste for a fake sense of depth.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Polygon actually doing an act of journalism? Bit of a shocker there.

Anyway rarely see texture forensics work go this far*. Not sure how even with punitive (willing and malicious infringement of registered copyrights can get you some higher money than unregistered and debatable stuff) they can get to 12 million but I suppose that is the number to raise the eventual "go away now" offer. I am also not sure of too many cases of such things so far -- seen plenty of photo cases over the years (got pretty popular on youtube at one point, especially the big image sellers) but that is usually of whole photos and involves other parties effectively usurping a market where this is a harder sell in many ways. This is also before the "copyrightable or not" debates some of these might have (see the dentist tooth photo copyright case). Might even have to look more at something like music samples to get an idea of how things might play out.

*you do have fun like

and of course

Wonder how many other companies are having panicked discussions and checking things from their wild west "image search is surely free" days. Also wonder what might do for the little remastering trend and the fun it could cause there, especially if old assets are still in some version control and someone just pressed go on higher res stuff that is now quite identifiable.
Guess I will continue to add CC0 to my image searches for textures for things I do.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I hear the x-files theme song 5 times a night if I leave the tv on, for some something as dumb as "where did the egg go?".

So many jingles and songs are blatantly ripped off, even within the music industry, here.

Granted, some of these situations may have licensing agreements behind them. I have my doubts!

D

Deleted User

... This low-intellect level of Kitbashing, or Photobashing if one's pedantic, I'd expect from less profitable Companies; even I don't ever go this basic on 3D Textures.

Has nobody in CAPCOM ever heard of Procedural Textures.

Grasshopper for Rhino isn't a complicated Plugin and I'd expect someone in their 3D Department to have at least dabbled in it. Even the old Alien Skin suite can still be used. And then there's just painting on Textures on newer Applications such as Substance or ZBrush.

All of these would've cost less than a lawsuit, but I'm quite sure none of the Executive-level people understand any of this. So here we are.

Last edited by , , Reason: Typo.
Reactions: tabzer and Xzi

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
"It was originally published in 1996. The collection comes with a CD-ROM of the images — but Juracek said she requires people to license images from her for commercial use by contacting her directly."

I'm now curious what happened, presuming she's right, was it a case of someone deliberately ignoring this, not understanding the legal issues or something like it ended up being shared and others not knowing the license?

I know other companies such as Nintendo and Sega (at least for music) have used libraries for their games, so it will be interesting to see if/how many more companies are caught up in lawsuits.

I know from when I've looked at libraries in the past, it was buried in the T&C about commercial use.

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: tabzer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
... This low-intellect level of Kitbashing, or Photobashing if one's pedantic, I'd expect from less profitable Companies; even I don't ever go this basic on 3D Textures.

Has nobody in CAPCOM ever heard of Procedural Textures.

Grasshopper for Rhino isn't a complicated Plugin and I'd expect someone in their 3D Department to have at least dabbled in it. Even the old Alien Skin suite can still be used. And then there's just painting on Textures on newer Applications such as Substance or ZBrush.

All of these would've cost less than a lawsuit, but I'm quite sure none of the Executive-level people understand any of this. So here we are.

Going by various "devs talk about making game" stuff over the years then if they do then they don't employ it. Procedural generation is also seemingly something of a dirty word (got to make sure your night sky texture team stays employed and the boss has 40 people under him rather than 5).

Granted I would have gone the halfway approach and note I have been playing with image morphing since... I probably still have the floppy disc it was given to me on and Windows 95 was the hotness in all the magazines, and stuff like terragen ( https://planetside.co.uk/ ) for not much less.

For those newer to this procedural texture lark then I think I am going to suggest

It was done to solve a problem/challenge in that rather than dodge copyright but covers some good stuff there.

Equally if this is going to be a 2004 timeframe (if not earlier) rather than current space year where textures having their own depth layered on top of models is seriously old news (and theoretical magic to 2004) then that also changes a bit for me.

I'm now curious what happened, presuming she's right, was it a case of someone deliberately ignoring this, not understanding the legal issues or something like it ended up being shared and others not knowing the license?

I know other companies such as Nintendo and Sega (at least for music) have used libraries for their games, so it will be interesting to see if/how many more companies are caught up in lawsuits.

I know from when I've looked at libraries in the past, it was buried in the T&C about commercial use.

I doubt we will ever know* -- the lawsuit will probably not proceed too far, and I would hate to have to do discovery/disclosure after this long (2005 game, can't be bothered to look for a logo announcement but I imagine it was earlier still and if Capcom's IT is as dubious as the leaks that presumably caused this to become investigated then... yeah, though if they do have source bundles, and given how much RE4 has been ported then I doubt it is in the "lost source era" then maybe).

I was curious about it myself, and yeah the usual guesses are "we know, use it anyway as nobody will ever find out, I mean look how different it is", to "well it is on the server so must be cleared for use" and "surely if we own the disc...". That said it was the 80s when music sampling controversies kicked off (1987 what the fuck is going on for a UK take), and I think by the early 90s (if Biz Markie could release an album called all samples cleared in 1993 following a noted lawsuit then fairly established on derivative works). That said it is probably largely irrelevant as they would probably be said to have a duty of care to clear things, possibly even if they hired external artists (doubt they would for their logo but stranger things have happened).

*about the only ways I see that happening is if Capcom attempt some kind of copyright destruction defence -- https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2019/11/...ginality-dentist-photographer-case/id=115873/ (granted this case is in Connecticut and that case was Florida circuit so I don't think they overlap) would seem to indicate that originality/creative threshold is actually quite high and while the picture of a cracked glass pane might be nice if that case is going to be a standard then I could see Capcom go that far. Though I doubt courts would be too keen to go along with that one.
The other being if she wins/settles in some manner, does not get slapped with a non disclosure and then proceeds to talk about it or maybe breaks silence. Breaking tends to only happen with those that have nothing to lose (why we see the odd hacker do it after being slapped down) and there is likely a chunk of change riding on that so maybe not, and non disclosures of settlement agreements tend to be utterly standard in these cases. Someone might infer something from financial statements later but that is a path fraught with difficulty (likely have about half a hundred active cases and lawyer involved stuff at any one time after all).
If it somehow does make it to a court, never mind a verdict, then we might get some fun like the stuff the Epic-Apple case has been bringing to light.

As far as being buried in terms... these are arguably sophisticated buyers/users and it (commercial use and derivatives) is very much a known variable in such worlds.

Reactions: tech3475
D

Deleted User

(got to make sure your night sky texture team stays employed and the boss has 40 people under him rather than 5).

Shikata ga nai.
To be fair, 40 in the Office After-Hours Drinking Session is always more fun than 5 ...

Maybe one day they'll come around.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Copyright lawyer whose channel commonly deals with games and related things has an initial go over of the case, including some more detail on likely paths of attack and things that might trip things up.

The Nintendo case referenced at one point during that is presumably

and could be of passing relevance too.

Reactions: tabzer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They are insane. Why not giving permision of using a simple photo?
I am not sure where you are coming from here.

The original author of the photograph seemingly makes a living from travelling around taking/compiling photographs of interesting items/textures and selling those on to interested parties. I am sure she would also claim it was her keen artistic eye and camera skills that made it as good as it was as well -- could be tricky if that dentist case I mentioned above* is anything to go by but it would almost certainly be part of the claim. Even now, never mind back then, having a pro do things can make all the difference; you taking a picture of your table for wood grain on a phone is probably going to come out nowhere near as nice as me finding a choice piece of burl and taking a photo in a light box with my DSLR and fancy lens before doing all the colour correction, and maybe even making it seamless (though that would be a further work).
As your code slaves need to be spending their days coding and not going to was it a random mansion somewhere to take the perfect pictures of broken glass (never mind the thousand other images they might not even know about/ever otherwise encounter that look cool) you see art based companies choose to buy in such texture packs instead, in this case it appears you can have the work to look at for one price but going on to use it in a commercial/further work required a further round of negotiations (common enough back then and to this day -- the obvious start would be creative commons where you can vary whether you require attribution, allow remixing or other things https://creativecommons.org/about/cclicenses/ but you can also see things like stock photography only allowing works in positive stories or something).
Capcom appear to, or at least the photograph author/owner claim that Capcom, have not done the further negotiations and just used it, maybe never expecting the original author to find out (and it is quite changed from the original) or maybe just not doing their job and neglecting to clear the image. Ignoring copyright vs negligence maybe changing how much money they pay -- if the discovery/disclosure process reveals a Capcom exec saying "nah just use it as they will never find out" then that is going to be a very bad day for them vs it maybe slipping through the cracks, or maybe some third party art house having done the deed, where there is more leeway for things.
This is all a bit different from many other copyright cases we normally see in games, youtube copyright claims, hacking things and whatever else we normally discuss as it pertains to copyright around here but it is still a fairly established part of the law (above I mentioned a lot of music cases in the 80s and 90s where samples**, this being very much akin to music samples, were used).
Most of the big filing document was then establishing her as the owner, the general business setup being established when Capcom was doing their thing back when, dodging the claim that Capcom could have made it independently (private mansion in America or whatever it was) in addition to it lining up too perfectly with the stuff in the logos for someone else even standing at similar angle and the leaks from Capcom showing them using similar file names to what she made. 12 million seems a bit large for such a claim, even if said Capcom exec was rubbing their hands together in an evil manner whilst writing the email, but it is likely done to raise the counter offer from "we will pay your fee in retrospect and a bit more to say sorry" to something more like "even after lawyer fees then might even be able to retire on this if I do it right".

*short version was a dentist restored someone's teeth. Took before and after photos. Used them on his website or something as advertising (look at my work and all that). A competitor took the after photo and used it on their banner or something. However it was ultimately ruled, and at fairly high level, the original one that did the work and took the photo did not have a copyright claim as the original work did not meet the standard for a creative work (what you need for copyright) i.e. it is just a picture of teeth and we all know what they look like. I can see something similar happening here; spiderweb cracking of a piece of glass is part of physics really (engineers and forensics will know to look for it and analyse it to determine how something failed it is that fundamental) and if it is found in a random mansion somewhere then not like she broke 1000 sheets of glass to get the best one, and edited the image to be perfect. Capcom's use of it also did not mean she could not continue to sell the work (see usurpation of the market part of copyright claims) but that is probably a different matter and samples/stock photos in general is fairly clear here anyway.
From where I sit it would be a massive change in the stock photography world if it was ruled as not copyrightable material but stranger things have happened.

**marginally related at this point but one of my absolute favourite videos on the topic in general (nobody I have ever shown this to has not sat through to the end) so I am going it. History of the amen break (a sound I can almost guarantee you know but probably never knew the story of).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was checking up on it but it slipped my mind it seems at one point and the recent news of RE4 getting the modern remake treatment had me curious.

Seems they settled privately back in February with undisclosed terms (though amicably so presumably not some legal quirk or defence). Usual result for this sort of thing really so we are going to have to wait for another capcom leak, hope forensic accounting from public statements yields something (doubtful but might be worth checking the quarterly results or yearly results), leak from the lawyers or leak from the photographer (unlikely as there is probably going to be a serious NDA involved here).
https://www.eurogamer.net/capcom-lawsuit-over-stolen-resident-evil-photos-resolved
https://www.ssjr.com/news/st-onge-ip-resolves-dispute-with-capcom/ for the statement from the photographer's lawyers.

Will also have to look up what happens to the resulting logo and textures in the claim as well for this remake or any new releases.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was checking up on it but it slipped my mind it seems at one point and the recent news of RE4 getting the modern remake treatment had me curious.

Seems they settled privately back in February with undisclosed terms (though amicably so presumably not some legal quirk or defence). Usual result for this sort of thing really so we are going to have to wait for another capcom leak, hope forensic accounting from public statements yields something (doubtful but might be worth checking the quarterly results or yearly results), leak from the lawyers or leak from the photographer (unlikely as there is probably going to be a serious NDA involved here).
https://www.eurogamer.net/capcom-lawsuit-over-stolen-resident-evil-photos-resolved
https://www.ssjr.com/news/st-onge-ip-resolves-dispute-with-capcom/ for the statement from the photographer's lawyers.

Will also have to look up what happens to the resulting logo and textures in the claim as well for this remake or any new releases.
Nice follow through! It's frustrating and hilarious at the same time. I'd like to know how much her work was worth to them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei5hC8ahLoc