Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As for the page structure, I think it would be good if you followed the style and entries of one of the Japanese wikis, they are very thorough.
Even if the actual pages have no info yet, someone could add to it at a later time if they see what is needed.

@Vlad Jester: you should mark that movie as a spoiler and that it's the true ending movie, since it doesn't make that clear at a glance.
Most people probably don't care about spoilers for this game, but some do and might not have seen it yet.

Last edited by Weyu,

Tohmas V. Beoblade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! I finished 99% of the Glossary menu (only Dumans left on the Races section)! You can check them here: http://psp2-infinity.wikia.com/wiki/Glossary
Hope I am helping~

EDIT: Finished adding all missions of PSP2 to the Wikia, you can check it here: http://psp2-infinity.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_Terminal
EDIT 2.0: By the way, can you guys tell me exactly what missions need their area names to be revealed or send me the patch so I can find them myself (optional)? I would like to help by giving a list of them.

Last edited by Tohmas V. Beoblade,
Reactions: Joel16 and IilliI

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice going.

I suggest you make a table of the mission lists and give each mission its own page though, because once the missions get all the monster and drop info in them, a single page with everything on it will become very hard to peruse.
Look how they did it here for example:

http://psp2.psupedia.info/Open_missions.html
http://pspo2.wikiwiki.jp/?i%2F%A5%D5%A5%EA%A1%BC%A5%DF%A5%C3%A5%B7%A5%E7%A5%F3

It's fine to have stuff on the same page in a glossary, but for the full character bios I'd suggest having one page for each with pictures and sections, etc. as well.

Tohmas V. Beoblade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'll create the characters page. Tough I wonder, will it really help if I add information about the Character (more than what's inside the Glossary)? Because I think those type of content wont help much the Translation since they wont appear in the game (unless it is their dialogues, but it is already on DeviFoxx's guide).

Altough... that psp2.psupedia have most useful information of the missions, I would only need to get the drops (would take probably 1 hour or so).

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It won't help the translations directly, but the more worthwhile and interesting info a wiki has, the more reason people have to visit it.
Personally I like reading up on backgrounds and other things for games I enjoy, and having that info there is a bonus.

And I really do suggest that you take a look at the existing wikis for how they formatted it.
You can probably literally copy-paste many things and then just edit the Japanese/English text.
Devising a good plan of attack before beginning often makes things much easier and/or more efficient.

As for whether the drop tables are changed or not, I suppose that they are mostly the same with some potential changes here and there.
It would take comparing the drop tables on the EN/JP wikis to make sure, that's why it would be smartest if the info came from the Japanese wikis.
All this would take time and effort of course, but if you wanna do it right, that's usually the case. ;)

No one needs to slave away on it, but if there were a couple dedicated users spending some minutes here and there on it, I bet we could get something quite decent before long.

Hikaru959

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, i found this forum and am extremely impressed on what you all are doing. I have red most of what yall need done. I currently live in japan right now and picked up the game so i was looking to see if there was a translation, cus i have been a big fan of PSU for a while, so if yall need anything from japan to help out, i can get/send it to you guys cus i want to see this done, haha. So if yall need anything from here while im here just ask an i can probably get it

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello all, i found this forum and am extremely impressed on what you all are doing. I have red most of what yall need done. I currently live in japan right now and picked up the game so i was looking to see if there was a translation, cus i have been a big fan of PSU for a while, so if yall need anything from japan to help out, i can get/send it to you guys cus i want to see this done, haha. So if yall need anything from here while im here just ask an i can probably get it

Thanks for the offer, I don't think we need anything right now though.

j836077

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how reasonable it is but I'd like to make a request.

Japanese PSP2 (original) had all scenes voiced while the English version had VN-like scenes completely silent and only the videos/battle voices were, well, terribly dubbed.
Now that you have all the tools needed to edit PSP2 (those should work on non-Infinity and even the first PSP, as far as I know), I assume it shouldn't be too hard to replace JP version's text files with the ones from an English one.

I apologize if it's not as easy as I think it is. If that's the case, I won't ask for it.
Otherwise, this is pretty much what the request is.

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As far as I know, all of Jam's tools are custom-written by himself, but it's indeed not as easy as copy pasting files from one ISO to another.
I'm not the tech guy, but a quick explanation would be that the text is spread across tens of thousands of files and they don't adhere to the same file names between the versions.
Various things were changed in the US version as well (such as window sizes, some other minor gameplay variables, etc.) that would be broken if the text was able to be "copy pasted" directly somehow.

You'd probably be better off finding someone that can add the Japanese audio to the US version of the game.
Or wait for our patch, which has the entirety of PSP2 built-in.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how reasonable it is but I'd like to make a request.

Japanese PSP2 (original) had all scenes voiced while the English version had VN-like scenes completely silent and only the videos/battle voices were, well, terribly dubbed.
Now that you have all the tools needed to edit PSP2 (those should work on non-Infinity and even the first PSP, as far as I know), I assume it shouldn't be too hard to replace JP version's text files with the ones from an English one.

I apologize if it's not as easy as I think it is. If that's the case, I won't ask for it.
Otherwise, this is pretty much what the request is.

Long story short it would take ages (a year?),
the tools don't even work with unmodified versions of infinity, let alone 2 JP and US which have different structures. Plus considering the cut content I would expect the US version to be somewhat different to the JP version.
And there's all the asm hack stuff mentioned above too.

Last edited by JamRules,
Reactions: Jeffiroi

Xero87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just signed up to say great job on everything so far I read most of this thread and its amazing work and progress. Is this patch able to work on PSP systems or only emulators. which psp emulator is recommended for Mac?

j836077

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, all of Jam's tools are custom-written by himself, but it's indeed not as easy as copy pasting files from one ISO to another.
I'm not the tech guy, but a quick explanation would be that the text is spread across tens of thousands of files and they don't adhere to the same file names between the versions.
Various things were changed in the US version as well (such as window sizes, some other minor gameplay variables, etc.) that would be broken if the text was able to be "copy pasted" directly somehow.

You'd probably be better off finding someone that can add the Japanese audio to the US version of the game.
Or wait for our patch, which has the entirety of PSP2 built-in.
Long story short it would take ages (a year?),
the tools don't even work with unmodified versions of infinity, let alone 2 JP and US which have different structures. Plus considering the cut content I would expect the US version to be somewhat different to the JP version.
And there's all the asm hack stuff mentioned above too.
Should have figured, huh. Thanks for the explanation.

What's that about adding voice files, though? Is that actually possible? Wouldn't it be even harder to do?
Summon Night 5 has the same problem at the moment and I'm not sure if it's even worth anyone's effort to redub it.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should have figured, huh. Thanks for the explanation.

What's that about adding voice files, though? Is that actually possible? Wouldn't it be even harder to do?
Summon Night 5 has the same problem at the moment and I'm not sure if it's even worth anyone's effort to redub it.

I would say it could be harder because it's not an undub replacement since there is no audio to begin with. Probably best to wait for this patch

Ralph Gonzales

Trophies
XP
Country
Some may be familiar with Phantasy Star Portable and Portable 2 which received English releases, however 2 Infinity never did. Personally I really like this game and it's quite a considerable expansion so I thought it was a shame no patch has been released so I decided to take a look.

(The following screens are the first examples of text insertion,
they do not represent the actual patch's quality)

npjh50332_00083_0.jpg

npjh50332_00110_0.jpg

psp2i-suite-2_0.png

*More screens here*

http://gbatemp.net/threads/phantasy...glish-translation.368328/page-37#post-5668740

GROUP MEMBERS

ArasKarasu - Script organisation, typesetting, editing
LoliRam - Script organisation, typesetting, editing
MrFwibbles - Script organisation, typesetting, editing
Weyu - Script organisation, typesetting, editing
JamRules - Romhacking

SPECIAL THANKS

DeviFoxx - for giving permission to use this comprehensive guide
(http://www.devimension.com/dona/psp2i_guide_download.html)
essen – for research into .nbl
fuzziqer – for research into prs encryption
@akiyoruno - for providing extra script resources

EXAMPLE VIDEOS

Example Video - MrFwibbles - Mar 22, 2015

Extended Look - MrFwibbles Sep 14, 2015

Story Demonstration - Weyu - Sep 18, 2015

PROGRESS – Technical

To do:
  • .pmf subs (including timing, encoding, etc) - the game actually uses soft subs so that needs investigating
  • asm hack to widen UI displays - in progress (chat windows done, loads more to do)
  • asm hack to change home menu language on real psps - todo
  • Update tool to support dlc items
  • Removal of install data loading
  • Other technical randomness - loads of fixes, etc. - too much to mention / never-ending
.fpb splitter - DONE
.fpb reimporter - DONE
.fbp (type 3) crypto – DONE - removed by asm hack
.nmll loading – DONE
.nmll crypto (encrypt/decrypt)(type 1) – DONE – ported from essen’s original C code
.nmll decompression – DONE – ported from fuzziqer’s code
.nmll compression – DONE
script dumper (.txt file output) – DONE
look up table exporter and importer (because there are loads of duplicates; ~8000 unique text entries out of ~250,000 for one file set) - DONE
indexed text editor - DONE
script editor with pointer redirection – DONE
automatic script inserter – DONE
file list spreadsheet exporter - so we can track translations - DONE

PROGRESS – Translation

Mission-specific battle chat
-in progress

Mission names and descriptions
-in progress

Area names
-in progress

In-mission tutorials, objective text, etc.
-in progress

Glossary
-in progress

[The above text is mainly from newer version files found in the game (~10000 files, loads of text)]

All story/NPC dialogue translated and inserted (including tutorials and Client Requests)
-initial version translated and inserted

All inventory/Visiphone names and descriptions
-armor
-modules
-items
-costumes
-weapons
-monsters
-photon arts etc.
-initial translation complete and inserted

All Battle Chat (including all variations of MySynth)
-initial translation complete and inserted

Typesetting, Testing and Clean-up
-in progress - this will take quite a while

PROGRESS – Other
-Textures - important textures now mostly replaced
-Testing - Loads todo here

[Note: this post may not be an up-to-date representation of current progress, further progress may have been made - read the forum for the latest]

*Notes about release*

The patch will be released as a full patch, this means it won't be released until it is done.
It will most likely be a .xdelta patch once completed.

No release date has been decided

*DLC*

Once the main game is done I'll try to do the dlc quests (might not be possible / they are available here http://www.psp2infinity.jp/pc/mission/). However I won't be doing any of the psn store paid dlc items, etc. and this is not up for discussion.

There have been many posts relating to DLC already and any future queries relating to it will be ignored at this time, the actual game patch is still in progress.

IS THIS ENGLISH PATCH STILL CONTINUED?

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn't call it slow but YMMV.

Anyway, since there was some discussion about the Rebirth system a while ago, I'd wanted to make a short tutorial about it.
I finally got around to doing it, so consider this my Christmas present to the thread, if you would. ;)

It's very straightforward if you check the explanation, but there are still a few things to consider:

-Whether you want to boost one or two stats greatly, or spread your precious points around to get a more balanced setup, as the earlier upgrades cost much fewer points, but each upgrade increases the same amount of stats.

For example, each ATK upgrade gives +35 ATK, but the first upgrade only costs 20 points while the 10th and final upgrade costs 65.

-The timing of your rebirths: some people like to do quick rebirths at Lv. 50 over and over, others like myself prefer to level to 200 and then rebirth. There are charts out there for efficiency regarding point amount/level, but it's largely up to your own playstyle and preferences.

Last edited by Weyu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock