Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No need to ask whether the project is dead or not, I have sunk hundreds of hours in this and Jam probably as well— barring some life-changing experience we have absolutely no reason nor intention to drop it.
I can't speak for him, but I volunteered for this because I wanted to do it, and he most likely does as well.
Heck, even yesterday on a Saturday we were still communicating about this past midnight.

Anyway, work has started on the in-mission text now. That used to be an undecipherable mass of files that was 51 MB of nothing but plain text spread over 8000 files, but Jam did his magic and cut it down to a more manageable 1 MB by removing duplicates.
More importantly, he has managed to merge the 8000 files into an amount you can count on two hands. The former would've been an organizational nightmare (think a warehouse with 8000 paper boxes all with a little something in them) and it would've taken months just to sort them. Now I have a smaller amount of files with many entries in them which is much easier to work with.

This is still a lot of content though, the biggest file has around a quarter million words. For comparison, the same file for the original US version of PSP2 has 39K words. (Without Jam's wizardry the word count for these files would've been many millions.)
These are mostly single words and names without a context, so they take more time and effort to do than dialogues (where you can translate entire sentences at once and you also have a context) so this stuff takes time.
It's just Jam and I right now it seems, but both of us are working hard on this, so worry not. :)

If you want to help, there are several things that could be done:

-Help us set up an English wiki
I mentioned this before, but having a comprehensive English resource for this would be useful. You don't even need to know Japanese probably, you can already make a very good start just by copy pasting item data from the JP wiki which are mostly numbers. And there's the US PSP2 wiki where large chunks can be lifted from.
So if you have time and the motivation to do so and know how to build a wiki, feel free to give it a try.
I can supply you with romanization of names and terms we used if you need them.

-Buy the game
This would probably help in some way and to get future games from SEGA, and it's only like 5-10 bucks nowadays.

-Discuss and share
If you're a lurker or someone who hasn't posted yet, feel free to share your impressions or just talk about the game or the series. More activity is always good. I'm not saying you should mindlessly thank us, but if you have something to contribute, do it!
We're only human after all, and no one wants to work on something that very few people will peruse.
So the more activity we see, the more rewarding it is from our point of view.

And in the same note, if you can generate more activity and publicity for us, that would be appreciated too. For example, if you know a forum where people would probably be interested in this project, or you have your own blog or gaming-related news site, you're welcome to write something about us.
We don't have a lot of publicity outside of this site and the game is pretty old, so it's easy for this to fly under the radar, which would be a shame since this is a worthwhile game.

Of course that doesn't mean you should mindlessly spam other sites with this link though, that helps no one. ;)

Or make your own media related to this game, such as gameplay videos, challenges or try to promote
online play with others in order to increase interest. These are just some ideas, there are many other possibilities you might think of.

ZephyrValgale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heya, just signed up to say that I'm hyped for this, and to mention something re: an English wiki for Infinity. We've got some data as a base thanks to the Infinity English Database - couldn't we do something with that?

Link, for reference: https://sites.google.com/site/psp2iwiki/

EDIT: Upon reread, saw that you already mentioned it. Whoops.

Last edited by ZephyrValgale,

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
quarter million words

I knew that translations were hard, but this is far beyond what I ever expected, and it's only a part. :bow:

@JamRules how did you made this mess readable? I have heard of another projects were those attempting just gave up when faced with such a situation.

Can you use someone's help with typesetting at least? Looks like it's the most painful part, due to how slow it should be if you need to see it in action.

---

I can't create/manage a wiki, but transfering the already available information to it should be easy, if time consuming. With a proofer I wouldn't mind to make new content.

Reactions: JamRules

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually gets a lot worst than 250,000 words,
one file set had 400,000+ scripts.

Where scripts range from はい / いいえ to

[エミリア・パーシバル]

民間軍事会社リトルウィング所属の女の子。
同社に所属するクラウチ・ミュラーは
彼女の保護責任者で、居住を共にしている。

自身の過去についての情報が無く、両親も不明。
そのためか、投げやりな思考が垣間見える。
家でごろごろしているだけだったのを
クラウチに見咎められて、半ば無理矢理
リトルウィング所属の社員となる。

妙に頭が回るときがあるが、本人にとっては
それはあまり好ましくないことのようだ。

But there's an incredible amount of duplication so a lot of work can be cut-out by merging the text into a Look-Up Table for unique entries.
For instance ミッションを中断して シティへ戻りますか?is repeated 8000+ times

This is an example of the result window after exporting a merged .txt file.

lookup_example.png

Trying to translate ~430,000 scripts across 3374 separate files just isn't going to work,
but while still a lot of work ~7200 scripts in one file is actually achievable.

Last edited by JamRules,

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there a "go back" text for every single possible entrance? The hacks hidden on a seemingly working game must be terrifying.

Reactions: JamRules

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a "go back" text for every single possible entrance? The hacks hidden on a seemingly working game must be terrifying.

A far as I can tell the text is bundled with the mission data to help with loading, same goes for textures etc. Performance is probably the focus here, which is fine and they'll likely have proper tools to deal with building the files, unlike us.

Resources seems to be duplicated per mission, per rank (C -> ∞), per difficulty, per game mode (single / multi), etc.

Last edited by JamRules,
Reactions: Fefo and Joel16

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Heya, just signed up to say that I'm hyped for this, and to mention something re: an English wiki for Infinity. We've got some data as a base thanks to the Infinity English Database - couldn't we do something with that?

Link, for reference: https://sites.google.com/site/psp2iwiki/

EDIT: Upon reread, saw that you already mentioned it. Whoops.

Hey there.
And yeah, I was aware of that site but I was hoping for something more comprehensive, and also one that users can add to since it would be too much work for one person to do everything unless he really went all out.
And the more dedicated users work on it, the better it would be.

I knew that translations were hard, but this is far beyond what I ever expected, and it's only a part. :bow:

@JamRules how did you made this mess readable? I have heard of another projects were those attempting just gave up when faced with such a situation.

Can you use someone's help with typesetting at least? Looks like it's the most painful part, due to how slow it should be if you need to see it in action.

---

I can't create/manage a wiki, but transfering the already available information to it should be easy, if time consuming. With a proofer I wouldn't mind to make new content.

I can handle all the typesetting right now since I've done the majority of it already.
And I'm very familiar with the story and the file layout, having more people would just make it more complicated.
As for the wiki, it may be "easy," but someone has to make a start. If everyone thought "someone else will probably do it" then it would never get done. ;)

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So far looks like improving the Google Sites wiki is the best way, if possible. Can it still be edited? There's a lot of data there, not much time would be lost on creation, people are aware of it and it's well-ranked search wise.

Wikia is just a stub at least on Infinity, I dunno how PSO-World deal with this and there's not much outside of it. PSPedia2, was it an option, is closed AFAIK.

Is this the main/most complete Japanese wiki @Weyu? http://kizuna-infinity.net/psp2i/wiki/
I forgot and could only find this.

Shizuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I must say i'm impressed with you guys the amount of the work are insane and even without proper tools you all come
this far. The more i see this project more hyped i feel because it's a big amount of effort are involved on this project.
And about the Wiki i know a person who made one on Evolve for players on the community of Phantasy Star Portable 2
Infinity on PPSSPP and are based on wikis on the google sites and he also have some images of the weapons so i will ask
him if he could share here or something like this. I don't know much about doing wikis but i think him one would be a good
addition because the images i mentioned.

metastase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome stuff guys. I can romanize Hiragana and Katakana if you guys need it but I doubt this is useful with so many Kanjis thrown in the middle.

I dunno what the best apporach is for the wiki but I suppose we should start with Extended Weapon data (this info is available on that JP wiki Fefo linked). That's probably the 1st thing people will want to know in order to create their Char builds or know what/where to hunt stuff and that info isn't available in english in any way as far as I know. I can do that, but we should definitely settle for 1 specific place to edit before doing anything to keep things focused. I do like the format and what's already available at https://sites.google.com/site/psp2iwiki but I fear we may lose the content/ability to edit it in the future. I don't trust google.

@Shizuru @Fefo

Yes, I use Meseta Fever in PSPo2. The main thing about it isn't the fact we don't consume PP while shooting, it's that it allows our PP regen to actually kick in WHILE shooting. There is a BIG difference and coupled with Casts PP regen I can spam Damgrants indefinitely in vanilla. But I've seen a few people say that Damgrants Lv.21+ had its hits per second animation nerfed in Infinity too. Now that can kill my build if it's true. For comparison purposes, Damgrants 21+ can break with 7 hits with a chain of 1 in vanilla. I don't wanna abuse anyone's patience but could someone test this?

Thx for the tests Shizuru. So basically you didn't have many problems hitting 0's even without Zalure and HIT units, is that correct? I don't really care about the DMG. If that's the case, the level difference in infinity doesn't seem as bad as vanilla and I shouldn't have ACC problems with Newman considering that ACC Rebirth bonus, so thx for the good news!

ABOUT RARE ITEM BOOST:

1st things 1st: IIRC, Rare Item Boost actually DECREASED your chance of getting common rares in vanilla. I have no idea if this was fixed on Infinity. That said...

To be completely honest, here's the way I see it: what do you prefer, to have a quality time OR to be as efficient as possible, achieving results faster? That's what Rare Boost VS EXP Boost or other powerful slot customization boils down to. For speed runners, completionists and power grinders, EXP boost or other DPS/ATK improvements are better 100% of the time.

OTOH, this is a video game and it's meant to be fun entertainment. Repeating the same mission over and over and experiencing uneventful gameplay sessions can impact your enjoyment in a negative way. For those reasons, some people prefer novelty and smoother gampelay sessions, enjoying the ride instead of worrying too much about efficiency. Rare Boost provides just that because in the LONG TERM, any RNG discrepancies tend to even out. So for people who prefer experimentation, customization and aesthetics over efficiency Rare Boost is the better option.

I have played PSPo2 with and without Rare Boost for thousands of hours and I know for a fact that the quality of the time I spend with the game is noticeably improved by it. So the argument of "wasting time" goes both ways, some could say power leveling is the real waste of time since in a way it artificially avoids the intended gameplay experience/progression/difficulty for each stage, where you essentially end up killing part of that intended experience for improved efficiency. From this POV, the boredom of repetition is the actual waste of time right?

Just to clarify what I meant by RNG discrepancies conforming to an average in the long term: because computer systems can't generate true randomness without some outside source, item drops in games like this uses priority look up tables and pseudo-RND seeds to generate artificial randomness (like PSPo2 "dynamic memory allocation" is restricted to specific predictable patterns). So while it's true that Rare Boost won't guarantee rare drops every time and you'll have some uneventful sessions with it too, the longer you use it the more it converges to a statistically superior rare drop rate. That is to say, given enough repetition those uneventful sessions will be compensated by things like what happened to my last 7 PSPo2 sessions:

As if my game knew I'm preparing for Infinity, my Rainbow drops went haywire so what were supposed to be short gameplay sessions ended up being stretched because rare drops wouldn't stop dropping on every sequential mission I did. My friend whom I used to play Multimode with was watching my last session and man, his eyes were shining. He thought I was cheating. After seeing that I told him about Infinity with increased Customization Slots and he felt the urge to play it too. So I guess Infinity just got a new player thx to Rare Item Boost (and Sayo). lol

Tohmas V. Beoblade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can help you guys by creating that English Wikia using everything I have from the PSP2 with Mission names and descriptions, Glossary. Mostly the stuff you guys mentioned in the first post. Whaddaya think?

Reactions: Weyu and IilliI

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That would be great.
As for what site you use, it doesn't really matter to me since you guys are the ones that will be using it.

So having something done with a good front page and where users can contribute would be best I feel.
I don't know about that google site, but at a glance I can't see if users can edit it besides the owner.

But the info is basically already all there in both the original English wiki and the Japanese ones, just need someone to put it together.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool