GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed PeerBlock, and I was visiting some of my main sites to see how the software behaved. For the most part no problems. Sites such as Youtube and various ROM sites load fine. However, GBATemp seemed to get stuck. Of course, once I exited out of the software, the site loaded right up. Anyone know what the conflicts are with that software?

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chances are it is avatars and signatures for people with my second port of call being javascript (I do not think GBAtemp is tied to google analytics (some sites are) but there appears to be nothing else going on here.

I will leave it to others to back me up but generally peerblock is terrible and does little but cause aggro to the user- you are far better off with a custom hosts file and a selection of proper security measures (regular ad blocking, script blocking/control- noscript if you use firefox and the other usual suspects).

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
peerblock is terrible and does little but cause aggro to the user- you are far better off with a custom hosts file and a selection of proper security measures (regular ad blocking, script blocking/control- noscript if you use firefox and the other usual suspects).

Hmm...actually, I'm strictly interested in PeerBlock for use with uTorrent. Not to go too far OT, but do you think it's a poor choice as well for that purpose? If so, why?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.samair.ru/proxy/ip-address-01.htm

^some 330 IP addresses I can essentially appear to be behind and that is just the first page on the site of the first reasonable result for "proxy lists", it gets even easier if you throw away $10 (those seedbox/VPN sites people offer up to download torrents through- same idea). Any half decent law enforcement or copyright detective type will know all this and more- it offers no protection from them.

If you mean bad uploaders- a few badly hashed chunks and they usually get banned by your client anyway (right click on various peer lists and torrent status tabs- there should be an option to clear ban lists somewhere).

If it was purely for torrent purposes it now seems to be doing nothing other than wasting system resources.

Isaac_GS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
Hmm...actually, I'm strictly interested in PeerBlock for use with uTorrent.
In that case, simply click Allow HTTP. This makes GBATemp work for me while offering the same level of protection for p2p.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y