Hardware PC Stutter Crash

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This issue has plagued my computer since I built it. I have waited for the crash to occur again so I could record it and hopefully make it easier for people to know what the problem is.
The video is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHMXJ66L8bA
I was playing Borderlands 2, you can hear the stutter throughout, those random noises are just me hitting random keys and using my mouse to show that nothing responds.

If it's of any use, the following image shows the 3 events which are logged by Windows whenever I get this crash: http://i.imgur.com/98F5e.png

My system specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K OC @ 4.2GHz
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD65
Graphics card: GTX 560 Ti
PSU: Corsair TX-650 ATX Power Supply Unit
HDD : 1TB Western Digital 1002FAEX + 2TB Western Digital WD20EARX

Hoping someone can finally help me properly identify the issue to get rid of this annoyance.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Been a while since I've seen this one. I've completely forgotten the main cause for it.

Possibilities in no specific order:
GPU crash, graphics drivers crash, Memory leak, RAM bad sector read, CPU maths check fail, CPU fail, PSU voltage/amperage drop, HDD stutter, general IO hanging error.

I'm sure FAST and Rydian could name a few more, but my brain is broken today.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My CPU temps should be fine. I reach a max of 40 degrees at idle, reaching around 65 under full load (tested using prime 95).

I've had a SINGLE instance where my PC seemed to recover from the crash, but that gave me no error messages. I have tested RAM extensively, I even swapped out both sticks for my brother's RAM and it still happened eventually. I swapped out my GPU with my old one as well, to no avail. I've run tests on my CPU using prime95 for up to 3 hours and 0 errors popped up.

Right now I am considering swapping my PSU, because that is the only component I purchased from a separate place and all other components have been working with no issues as far as I can tell. Although I'm making this topic just to see what responses I may get as my PC has seen many changes since I first made it last year which were not meant to happen (since the initial build was supposed to be my new computer for a while). However they did, and after having swapped out stuff (my mobo and hdds are different since the initial build for example) I'd rather be more certain of making such a purchase as I have spent a fair bit of money already.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Try restoring the clock rate to normal. Maybe race conditions are screwing up the cpu logic and causing the crashes (and it's a completely separate issue from heat).

Its something you should at least try to rule out the possibility.

@godamit -- alright

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have actually, that was one of the first things I tested. I also installed Windows on my 2nd HDD just to test it, although it eventually crashed as well.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That may be a problem then. My brother isn't an easy person to get along with, it was hard enough getting him to let me borrow his RAM, I doubt I'll have a chance at getting him to put my components in his PC. As I said however, I did replace my mobo once already, so I'd doubt it's that.

EDIT: Might be worth mentioning my PC seemed to reboot on its own for the first time today in a crash. Also, whenever it logs an unexpected crash in the event viewer it always shows the time around the exact moment the crash occurs.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So it seems I've finally solved this... In case someone else happens to encounter the same issue at some point, it turns out my NIC was causing the problem. Started playing games with my NIC disabled with promising results. Installed a new NIC afterwards, playing online and I have not gotten the crash since.

Reactions: plasma dragon007

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.