Parental Block/Web Block software?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,349
  • Replies 4
D

Deleted User

OP
Hi all, I need some advice on something here.

So I'm getting a new gaming laptop either today or tomorrow (Acer Predator Helios 300 2018) and I'm giving my old Dell XPS-420 to my younger brother.

So comes the problem, blocking websites and other content, use your imagination.

We don't want things like keyloggers or anything like that, which requires us to be active constantly watching, instead we're looking for something more preventitive, ala: NetNanny.

Does anyone know of a program, preferably free, that I can put on this computer and have, atleast some, peace of mind?

Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Use the hosts file to sinkhole any sites that you don't want him visiting and don't give him an administrative account. Easy as that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If blocking really is for you then
https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/#familyshield
Is a good start and being DNS it is not immediately obvious and works on all devices that don't VPN out or otherwise bypass at DNS level. Anybody that does need whatever they like can also be allowed it fairly easily.

For what it is worth though youtube, facebook, twitter, tumblr... has loads of what you might dub adult content, not necessarily as hardcore and linked up as your *tube sites but not too hard to find. To that end I don't think there is a passive fire and forget solution that is not a whitelist.

Similarly blocks are there to be worked around -- ask any number of tech inclined people today how they got their start and working around such things at home or school probably was it (internet went widespread long after I was in school and had learned computers but bypassing their security before then had taught me what I needed to know once it did).

My parents went with "watch whatever you want, if you don't understand something then come speak to me". I don't know that it is the best way but it has its merits over blocking.

D

Deleted User

OP
If blocking really is for you then
https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/#familyshield
Is a good start and being DNS it is not immediately obvious and works on all devices that don't VPN out or otherwise bypass at DNS level. Anybody that does need whatever they like can also be allowed it fairly easily.

For what it is worth though youtube, facebook, twitter, tumblr... has loads of what you might dub adult content, not necessarily as hardcore and linked up as your *tube sites but not too hard to find. To that end I don't think there is a passive fire and forget solution that is not a whitelist.

Similarly blocks are there to be worked around -- ask any number of tech inclined people today how they got their start and working around such things at home or school probably was it (internet went widespread long after I was in school and had learned computers but bypassing their security before then had taught me what I needed to know once it did).

My parents went with "watch whatever you want, if you don't understand something then come speak to me". I don't know that it is the best way but it has its merits over blocking.
I won't go into too many details, but I'll say he's an autistic "child" who doesn't understand a whole lot on when, or what, he's doing wrong. So if he tries to google something that HE REALLY REALLY SHOULD NOT BE GOOGLING then he doesn't understand why. So we're taking precautions.

I'll have a look at OpenDNS and see what I can do for it. Thanks for that tip.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Use the hosts file to sinkhole any sites that you don't want him visiting and don't give him an administrative account. Easy as that.
hosts, while powerful, doesn't allow me to control things like searches, just direct blocking sites, which is unfortuntely not enough in this case.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Much as I hate to do the TED talk thing I will

I do not actually agree with most of his conclusions or underlying reasoning but the data he brings up along the way does work for me.

Were you a client I would still have to wonder if blocking like this is the best way and what you aim to achieve and why you wish to achieve it. Something getting into the higher functioning autism world, especially one without as many filters, probably necessitating a slightly different approach to typical 13 year old. In this case I would possibly say rip the wireless out, load it up with games, videos and whatever else you have already vetted* and go from there, for any internet stuff give them something you can readily monitor with them (the classic computer in the sitting/family/whatever you want to call it room).

*if they want the newest online shiny then redirect them -- I have never played an online game I could not get just as good from offline, and certainly more consistently. Might mean you or your parents have to do multiplayer with them at times too. I should also note I have met several autistic people that don't actually respond that positively to computer games (to the point where they are blocked) but gain far more from real world board/card games, especially if you are trying to promote certain behaviours. I don't know why it is but it definitely is in those cases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: there a bunch of good games missing, one of them (which makes a lot of sense for this type of...