General windows maintenance guide.

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Rydian, Jan 3, 2011.

Jan 3, 2011
  1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    General Windows Speedup / Maintenance Guide

A computer does not degrade in performance over time, but not keeping track of how things are running on the software-side can simulate it as things get "clogged". They're like cars, 20 years later they'll run just as fast as the day you got them as long as you give them proper maintenance every so often.

Image somebody bought a Ford Model T and "suped it up" to race other Model T's, they could win the race with it. Then, 100 years later (the original Model T was released in 1908 ), they take it to a race of today. It fails spectacularly, it has no chance of winning. Does that mean it got slower? No. The tasks expected of it grew until they exceeded it's ability. While a web page 10 years ago might have involved some color and a few images, web pages today can have dynamically styled content, videos, even custom programming that runs within the page itself (sometimes multiple instances).

Doing a little checkup every so often can keep your machine running as well as the day you got it, and this guide will show you how. In addition many computer problem are easy to fix once you know what the actual cause is, and this guide will show you common methods of spotting the cause of a problem.

Gathering general information.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Software updates.

Driver updates.

Checking processes.

Common issues.

F.A.Q.

2. Rydian
    OP

United States
    If I messed up some bbcode, or if some html entities slipped in (regarding percentages and parenthesis particularly), please tell me.

If you can name any other common issues or find a way to explain something that's easier for non-nerds to understand, I'm willing to put it in.

3. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Which benefits do you see (as in I'm not saying that there are no benefits but instead specifically asking which benefits you see and why/whether you advocate doing the stuff in this and your other stickied guide on this board) in doing the stuff listed here and in your other stickied guide rather than just reformat for all (or almost all*) maintenance (including Spyware/Adware/Virus/Trojan/Rootkit/Keylogger removal) under these conditions:

1. Windows is on a partition with nothing but the OS on it, everything else is stored on other partitions.

2. You have an idea of what the fuck you are doing.

*If you find specific procedures in your guides more useful than others under the above conditions, please specify them.

I am not questioning whether your guides should be stickied as the vast majority of users on this forum couldn't possibly be operating under these two conditions, I am simply curious for how useful you find the procedures in your guides for a person operating under them (which actually would not include myself as I rarely use Windows).

Edit: Typo in my typo (I'll edit while I edit).

4. Rydian
    OP

United States
    If those two conditions are met and there's a serious problem where reformatting and then doing all the windows updates and software reinstalls that are needed would take less time than manually fixing the problem, then yes, I'd suggest a reformat instead.

The average person doesn't even know what a partition is, though. This guide is for the average person.

5. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    You might consider adding some sample (example) programs for utility functions like defragging, for example, Smart Defrag. It's also worth telling people to stay away from programs like "Driver Genius" as, generally, they don't really seem to have any idea what they're doing; and it's better to install stuff for which you know has an actual purpose.

You should probably also specify the importance of removing video/graphics drivers before installing new ones. My latest technical problems have been solved by doing Custom "Clean" installs for my nVidia drivers. Installing drivers over one another can cause some nasty conflicts and crashes, earlier this week I was having lots of trouble with video playback & flash-playback (online) / stuttering freezing, because drivers weren't uninstalled properly.

As a last note, it's probably worth adding a few temperature monitor programs Rydian, since most average users don't really think about cleaning their computer or keeping it well ventilated. For example, now that I'm running my GPU, I like seeing speedfan's red "42" in the bottom right of my screen to keep an eye on the temperatures. The reason I suggest adding a temperature monitoring program is because it's an easily diagnosed problem that can be remedied fairly easily by someone with experience.

There's also the importance of backups & cloud storage (for documents, school work, etc, but I won't get into that).

6. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Awesome suggestions, thank you.

7. Mazor

Sweden
    Yes, as I said I don't question your guides being stickied and think they can be useful for the majority of users on this forum.

8. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    Wow, great guide! [​IMG] I actually approve of one of your posts for once! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rydian
    OP

United States
    The registry says hi. [​IMG]

10. kingcold9

Newcomer kingcold9 Member

United States
    I've found that Malwarebytes is a terrific program for removing all sorts of malcious malware, I've used it several times to fix a hijacked system and even an average user shouldnt have a problem using it, just install it and run a full scan then follow the directions.

11. Rydian
    OP

United States
    The actual removal of infections is in the other sticky.

12. Mazor

Sweden
    Not really. Many applications don't use the registry in the first place (in a relevant manner), there are portable versions for many applications that normally do use it and you can still store any registry keys you would happen to want to preserve on said other partition(s) and optionally also automatically add them during install.

Anyway, you've already answered my question adequately thx etc.

13. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I'm confused, we post here if we would like help making sure our computer is top shape? Or am I just misunderstanding..

14. Rydian
    OP

United States
    It's partially a guide on fixing common issues, and partially a reference for the forum (we can refer them to a specific section in the guide).

15. Chhotu uttam

Member Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

India
    how to maintain your windows if it is not genuin(without genuining it)

16. Rydian
    OP

United States
    No idea. I don't condone pirated operating systems.

17. Chhotu uttam

Member Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

India
    ya the pirated version are not good enough so i brought a new pirated version of windows 7 ultimate for free.

saved $ 119.9

18. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Why ultimate over a home version?

19. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Also, why not?
    If he's pirating it, he might as well get the best version.

20. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Disc space and memory/CPU used for features he's not getting a benefit from.