General windows maintenance guide.

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Rydian, Jan 3, 2011.

1. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    How do you know he isn't getting a benefit from features available in the Ultimate version?

2. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    That's information we need from HIM, which is why I was asking HIM.

3. Chhotu uttam

Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

Dec 6, 2010
    India
    TEH WORLD
    the cd is new but the key is a master key which allows to upgrade without any problems

EDIT:
    what benift i am not getting from it

4. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Go on, name me a feature that ultimate has and home doesn't that you're making use of.

5. d3monsting

d3monsting GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2010
    United States
    What's this box for
    BitLocker [​IMG]

6. doyama

doyama GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2006
    United States
    Most people don't use BitLocker. Even in major organizations, BitLocker is useless because it has no centralized control mechanism to ensure compliance so even in the one place it's even moderately useful, it's not actually useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Most stuff that's included in the Ultimate editions of Windows 7 aren't useful unless you're in a corporate environment. Group Policies, Windows domain joining, etc. The only other stuff might be XP mode and VHD booting. But really, VMWare Workstation is a superior product. You could get around that by just using VirtualBox as well if you're going on the cheap.

Dynamic disks MIGHT be something you can use... but considering that MS itself doesn't support Dynamic Disks, almost no one uses it in a production environment for fear of data corruption.

7. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    I'm not arguing there's no extra features, I'm arguing there's no extra features he uses (and thus no reason to pirate a non-home version of his os).

I'm not anti-piracy, but your AV and OS are two things you just Don't Fucking Pirate™ for security reasons.

8. Chhotu uttam

Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

Dec 6, 2010
    India
    TEH WORLD
    the reason is i run a legit version of windows home premium on my laptop.
    i thought of upgrading it to ultimate but i wanted to check the difference between them.
    it is mostly same with same extra feature.(it is running good os i don't care of buying one until it gets any error)(also i have a legal one on my laptop also)

9. Satirical

Satirical Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2009
    London
    There are only a few things you need to know, and this is what I've been doing for the past 3 years with absolutely no problem, I've only ever had one infection and it was when I disabled my Antivirus knowing that I'd probably get infected.

So, you have your fresh copy of windows, you're sitting at your desktop with no clutter and big icons. Firstly, you'll want to make the icons the smallest possible, secondly you'll want to right-click your start-bar, click properties and tick "use small icons", thirdly you'll want to pin all of your frequently-used programs to the start-bar, so you just click them whenever you'd like to launch something.

Go to www.ninite.com , tick all the applications you want/need, the MSN in the pack is the old one, before it turned shitty.

You'll want Adblock plus for Firefox/Chrome (it blocks 99% of ads on Firefox, whereas on Chrome it only blocks 85%), Avast Home Edition and Spybot Search and Destroy.

I use Firefox (I've used Opera and Chrome before, for a good amount of time, and I prefer Firefox over them) and Thunderbird for my emails, so look into that. I use Foobar for my music also.

I use iTunes because they have RSS Feeds for Podcasts and you can instantly download them from the client.

To be honest the stupidity of people always annoys me, someone asks for my advice in building a PC/Laptop and they think I'm some kind of idiot who doesn't know what I'm talking about "hurr durr this one has more rems"

10. Mazor

Mazor Z80 master arch

Feb 14, 2008
    You make it sound a bit like this is standard advice, the way to do it, but in reality the choice of how to set these things is highly subjective. Personally I would hide desktop icons since they take longer to locate and double click than pressing a keyboard shortcut, not use small icons because I don't bloat my install with 900 programs to put on my startmenu and thus don't run out of space on it as it is, and not pin any application to take precious space from the taskbar when launching programs from keyboard shortcuts is faster. There's really not much point stating any of this, people will want to have it their own way.

However while on the (off)topic, I'd like to express how underestimated I think having your taskbar at the (either) side of your screen is. Pretty much any monitor there is will be sized to have more horizontal than vertical space (and be set to a resolution accordingly), the ability to trade some of the excess of horizontal space you have for some vertical should thus be very welcome to many people. You get more content visible at once leading to less scrolling needed and also a taskbar that can hold several times the amount of items compared to when set to default horizontal mode. Despite this, it's very uncommon to see taskbars at the side on Windows screenshots. If any defaulter happens to read this, would you care to motivate why you keep your taskbar horizontal?