OUYA will make its way to Retail Stores

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can't wait for its all of nothing.

$100 Netflix device but I already have a PS3/Xbox 360/Wii/PC/Vita for that.

34410333.jpg

Reactions: 2ndApex

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will bomb hard, I wish them every bit of success but it's not offering anything I can't already get.
Man, someone's even listed them on Wikipedia as a "8th Gen Console" . Oh gawd. The laughters. Can't stop 'em.

Ahem. Anyway, has someone already said that this thing will bomb hard? It will run games that tablets run, without the appeal (for kids) of a tablet.
Just outright bomb? Not even a minimal success? :lol:

All this effort and support put into it, would be a shame if it didn't have at least some success.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quad-Core Smartphones are just around the corner - the OUYA is a "home console" that'll be bested by portable devices within a year or two - that's hardly a good thing.

That didn't matter much to me, and that's why I don't care if the console bombs. $99 for the hardware was a good deal, and it still is. It's hard to find an Android system that has USB, Bluetooth, and Ethernet/Wifi, HDMI out and isn't a smartphone or tablet.

PS3/XBox 360/PC/Vita (in PSP-Mode) have Emulators.

Especially PC.

PC Master Race.

All of those systems aren't the size of a coffee cup, though. Even my small HTPC is 4x the size of an OUYA.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Actually I do. It's called a Laptop and I can connect it to a TV no problemo, even over HDMI.

All that's needed is some wireless Bluetooth controllers or a USB one and you're set.

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

Are you disposed to move your laptop to living room,
connect HDMI and power cables, wait until it boot,
configure the Bluetooth controller and then finally run your emulator
every fucking damn time you want to go oldschool?

It's not handy, and definetly not an elegant, nor a simple solution.

Reactions: IBNobody

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not handy, and definetly not an elegant, nor a simple solution.
This hardly elegant way also plays contemporary games and emulates zillions more systems, including "high-end" ones flawlessly. Don't question it.

All of those systems aren't the size of a coffee cup, though. Even my small HTPC is 4x the size of an OUYA.
...why would I be concerned with the size of a home console? You never move your home console, ever. It could be a High Tower for all I care, it's just going to stand there.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually I do. It's called a Laptop and I can connect it to a TV no problemo, even over HDMI.

All that's needed is some wireless Bluetooth controllers or a USB one and you're set.
Well, not everyone can afford a powerful laptop/PC, so a 100$ machine that can emulate everything up to n64 is quite awesome for them. I also have a beefy laptop and it's quite a pain to connect it to my TV and even if I do connect it, I won't have space for my laptop. The good thing is that I have a phone capable of everything the OUYA can do, so I don't need it.

Reactions: Zantigo

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's not handy, and makes your room fuggly as hell.
Wat?

How is putting a Desktop/Laptop in place of a console fugly? It's just a box.

As for the cheap argument, you get what you pay for, if you catch my drift. If you want a poordroid, fine - I prefere a powerhouse.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is putting a Desktop/Laptop in place of a console fugly? It's just a box.

But the Ouya is a small box. That makes it better!

EDIT: The Ouya is basically a woefully underpowered console or a laughably overpowered paperweight. Take your pick, folks.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That didn't matter much to me, and that's why I don't care if the console bombs. $99 for the hardware was a good deal, and it still is. It's hard to find an Android system that has USB, Bluetooth, and Ethernet/Wifi, HDMI out and isn't a smartphone or tablet.
You can already get a quad-core Exynos Android device, big as the Ouya, which packs a LOT more punch than it and has all those features. Well, pretty much for that sum. Maybe it won't have a nice casing, but it'll be certainly more useful than the Ouya is.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oyua is a simple, elegant, yet cheap solution

How is it ugly? There's a mess of wires (not dissing your room man but that's the only "unsightly" thing) but every room with a lot of electronics has it.

If you want something to emulate, go use a Wii. It's cheap, it emulates well (basically anything from video gaming's start to SNES is fine, N64 games are alright with homebrew emu and fine with VC, PSX games are passable), and it has its own goddamn games. Plus Netflix, plus a web browser, plus a lot of other stuff.

There's already a ton of Android-based emulation devices. Use TV Out. Problem solved.

Also where is this promise of "online play"?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But the Ouya is a small box. That makes it better!
Poordroids gonna Poordroid.

OUYA just has a "cool" factor because it's "Indie" even though it isn't - it's totally corporate just like any other system of its kind. Plus it's Android, and Android is the new iOS as of late - if something runs Android, it's cool by proxy. They're shoving it into everything lately, and I'm not saying it's a bad system - it's just not a gaming-oriented system, it's for portable devices.

Reactions: chyyran

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Oyua is a simple, elegant, yet cheap solution
Actually, once I get around to sorting out the wires, it'll look pretty nice. If I wanted to, I could just hide it behind the TV stand, there's a ton of room back there.

It's very handy, if I want to use a KB+M, I have that laptop rest there, if I want to watch TV, I have an MCE remote, if I want to use a controller, I have an F710. If I wanted to use Dolphin, I have a bluetooth dongle in there as well. It truly is a very elegant solution.

The Desktop of that PC has 3 large icons that are easily selectable with an MCE remote, not to mention it boots straight into XBMC. I can simply start Steam, or any emulator from within XBMC. In fact, I'm currently writing a standalone frontend for my emulators.

If I wanted to play Android games, WindowsAndroid, BlueStacks, are all options, and though the Ouya may be a better alternative for Android living room gaming, I already have a Galaxy Tab 7, and an iPad 2 as well for mobile gaming in general.

I never said the Ouya was bad, but I'm not willing to part with a hundred bucks for it yet. Everything it offers can be had on a PC, and most of the time, it'd be a superior experience. I'd much rather save up for a PS3, which I am currently doing.

Besides, PC emulators are 10x better than Android ones. Let me know when I can play Wii and PS2 games in 1080p on Android.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.