"OUYA" Android based "open" console funded over $

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Controllers seem to be $30, looking at the Kickstarter page. And I'm hoping they look that nice! One thing first parties seem to always do better than competitors is make controllers. I can't think of a single 3rd party controller that is better than the OEM one. So they better do it right!

Other than the fact that it's not wireless, this has got to be the best Xbox 360 controller ever: http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/onza

Is it only using a controller? Because I feel that would cut out an overwhelming majority of the games already made for Android which use touchscreens only.

Then we'd be stuck with a console that is only getting free games developed by people with probably little experience honestly. I doubt we'll be seeing anybody big touching this console with a ten foot pole.

EDIT: And right now I'm seeing that for twice as much (which is a bit of a steep order by $200 is still rather affordable when it comes to electronics like this) I can get either a Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, or Nexus 7, which apparently have decent specs and access to a wider, more established variety of games. But for this statement I'll steal a (citation needed) from iFish.
Don't forget that OnLive is available for Android too, so there's a large library of games to play even before the Ouya devs really get cracking.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Something feels fishy. It got about $1 million in 8 hours. $2 million in less than two days. Most Kickstarters struggle to scrape together even a couple thousand dollars.

Plus it hasn't been exactly getting overwhelmingly positive press, I've seen a lot of discussion on the intertubes full of people saying this isn't exactly a magical console. That it's going to be not nearly as workable as its claimed to be and lacking a lot.

I just find it suspicious that, even with the publicity it has, that this much money could be raised in this much time without some sort of influence.

I SAY MONEY LAUNDERING.

I'm not saying that it's true, but the concept is just.. there. You know? All of these other "kickstarters" don't give the options this one does. I feel that it appeals to more of the general base rather than a handful. I mean, Open-Source meets gaming. If I had the money, I'd throw it in to support this.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, people are throwing a crazy amount of money at this thing. I'm still a bit more skeptical here; you know, "If something is too good to be true, it probably is," and all that.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
This is very underwhelming, I don't understand who the fuck would support something like this.
I agree. Then again, if people are overfunding shit like this, RPG Maker games, etc., I could post something so bullshit that appeals to everyone in every way possible, and rake in TONS of cash. You don't even need to give any type of proof or anything, and people will literally throw money at you.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guy responsible for the original Xbox is apart of this. I see countless topics pointing this out. People are being draw in by the fact.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
This products basically already exist, minus the controller.Not appealing at all (for me), but who knows, maybe it will evolve to something.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
And also, how can it be hackable if they give you everything there is to know about it. Its called developing.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something feels fishy. It got about $1 million in 8 hours. $2 million in less than two days. Most Kickstarters struggle to scrape together even a couple thousand dollars.

Plus it hasn't been exactly getting overwhelmingly positive press, I've seen a lot of discussion on the intertubes full of people saying this isn't exactly a magical console. That it's going to be not nearly as workable as its claimed to be and lacking a lot.

I just find it suspicious that, even with the publicity it has, that this much money could be raised in this much time without some sort of influence.

I SAY MONEY LAUNDERING.

I'm not saying that it's true, but the concept is just.. there. You know? All of these other "kickstarters" don't give the options this one does. I feel that it appeals to more of the general base rather than a handful. I mean, Open-Source meets gaming. If I had the money, I'd throw it in to support this.
Yeah me too, because this is interesting and can be freed without losing a stupid warranty.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Let's see here, their points...

1. The Android Game Library is Barely Compatible with the OUYA.
Fair enough, touchscreen games can't be played with a gamepad.

However...

2. Android games suck.

3. Indie devs suck (and those that don't will never ever ever port their games to another platform, ever. Ever. Doesn't happen.)

4. This is a unique platform that's not compatible with, or has access to, any existing service, hardware or OS, it starts from zero and all content will have to be created from scratch.

5. Nintendo doesn't have a good online service therefore nobody else should even try.

6. People don't have TVs any more so TV consoles are doomed.

...I disagree.

7. Consoles get obsolete.
Yes. Yes they do. Let's never ever buy anything that can't be upgraded.

Conclusion: This is a scam, and even if the poor, naive, deluded cretins who ordered an OUYA ever get one, it will be completely and utterly worthless.

It will still be a $99 open source box with decent specs. Even if there's not a single exclusive game released for the OUYA and all you get is the hardware, it's still a pretty good deal. I agree, people who backed the project expecting millions of awesome AAA games at launch are pretty naive, but I think most people who ordered one aren't expecting anything other than a hackable Android box.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox