"OUYA" Android based "open" console funded over $

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Foie, Jul 11, 2012.

Jul 11, 2012
  1. Foie
    OP

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    [​IMG]

source: http://www.maximumpc...needs_direction

If you wanna check out OUYA's Kickstarter funding page, here it is.

What do you guys think? Pretty amazing the support they have received already. It's already up past $3 million now, two days later. I don't think this will produce massive, photorealistic games the likes of which we saw at E3, but I'm hoping it will flourish with smaller scale development. I love the focus they are putting into creating a great controller. Hopefully it will lead to an evolution and maturing in mobile game development. At the very least, it should be hacked into a very nice emulation, streaming, multimedia device of sorts.

If you want a good read and more details on the Ouya, check out this article. (Courtesy of Qtis)

2. BrightNeko

Member BrightNeko Popcorn ball

United States
    that controller looks so nice.

3. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

but for 99 bucks you wont get anything like it. unless the box is 99 and the controller 50

4. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    But since it has USB ports, can't you just use your own?

5. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Those are there for external storage most likely.

6. Foie
    OP

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    Controllers seem to be $30, looking at the Kickstarter page. And I'm hoping they look that nice! One thing first parties seem to always do better than competitors is make controllers. I can't think of a single 3rd party controller that is better than the OEM one. So they better do it right!

7. BrightNeko

United States
    These are bluetooth controllers compatible with PS3, android, and whatever else uses bluetooth
    http://img.gawkerass...pg/original.jpg
    http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/9/2012/06/playpadpro.jpg
    They are very comfy to use :)

8. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    I still hate the name of this thing.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

6 people like this.
  9. Foie
    OP

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    Interesting! Is that 2nd one better than the original PS3 controller? Nyko is definitely one of the better 3rd party manufacturers.

10. BrightNeko

United States
    I like it more than the original PS3 controller since it feels nicer, and fits my hands almost perfectly. The D-pad is certainly the best part about it.

11. iFish
    This message by iFish has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Jul 11, 2012
  12. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Something feels fishy. It got about $1 million in 8 hours. $2 million in less than two days. Most Kickstarters struggle to scrape together even a couple thousand dollars.

Plus it hasn't been exactly getting overwhelmingly positive press, I've seen a lot of discussion on the intertubes full of people saying this isn't exactly a magical console. That it's going to be not nearly as workable as its claimed to be and lacking a lot.

I just find it suspicious that, even with the publicity it has, that this much money could be raised in this much time without some sort of influence.

I SAY MONEY LAUNDERING.

2 people like this.
  13. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    It says in the monkeyfighting OP post that it uses a tegra 3 processor, has 1gb of ram and 8gb of internal flash memory.

2 people like this.
  14. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    So it does have a Tegra 3? Fuck yes I'm buying one. (I have other things that need to be bought first, but I WILL get this.)

Not only does it have its own games, this thing will likely be able to play OnLive with ease.

Other than the fact that it's not wireless, this has got to be the best Xbox 360 controller ever: http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/onza

15. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    The idea is interesting and this could be used for a lot of different things. Only thing that bothers me here is the "upgradeable console" idea in general. Sure the basic design is nice and all, but what happens when the tech starts to let you down and you aren't able to play the games with the best graphics like those that upgrade it? I see the $$!

@iFish and everyone more interested in the specs/hardware in general:

Source: http://arstechnica.c...walled-gardens/

EDIT: Ninja'd regarding the specs, but otherwise the article is a good read. It also mentions the part about upgradeable hardware (ie. pop open the box and change parts). It has both good things and bad things to offer.

16. troydude6

Newcomer troydude6 Advanced Member

United States
    I can't tell if sarcasm, but this project comes from some well known people in the industry. This isn't some sort of scam.

17. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Is it only using a controller? Because I feel that would cut out an overwhelming majority of the games already made for Android which use touchscreens only.

Then we'd be stuck with a console that is only getting free games developed by people with probably little experience honestly. I doubt we'll be seeing anybody big touching this console with a ten foot pole.

EDIT: And right now I'm seeing that for twice as much (which is a bit of a steep order by $200 is still rather affordable when it comes to electronics like this) I can get either a Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, or Nexus 7, which apparently have decent specs and access to a wider, more established variety of games. But for this statement I'll steal a (citation needed) from iFish.

1 person likes this.
  18. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Yes yes yes I saw the specs and I'm apparently REALLY blind. But I got it.

The specs seem to be cool. I will likely be picking one up.

It really reminds me of the Nexus Q. Except with better(*citation needed*) specs. And a different UI compared to no UI on the Nexus Q. Both can be hacked so I really look forward to seeing what this can do(or what it can't do).

19. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Most good, most good indeed...

20. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I don't get it. Consoles not only need decent games...they need AWESOME games to sell. But by the looks of it, it'll just be android apps. Not that there aren't good ones among them, but why would anyone pay for it?

My only real guess is that the ones paying for it are expecting some decent emulators for it. But that seems rather unlikely...

21. Guild McCommunist

United States
    TBH if you wanted a dedicated home console for emulation, you can probably just buy a Wii and easily rig it for that and also gain access to Wii/Gamecube libraries.

Or hook up a relatively affordable computer or mobile device to the TV with a controller for the same effect. I mean probably not at a $100 price point but the few extra bucks buy you a lot more in terms of games, applications, and quality of devices.

1 person likes this.