Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty interested in this. You can emulate pretty much PS1 and below, play all of the current Android games (like Mass Effect Infiltrator, GTA3, N.O.V.A etc) and could even use Onlive with it. Hopefully you can extend the storage via the USB port, but I would assume so anyways.

Hell, this could be like a budget Media/Emulation center really.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty interested in this. You can emulate pretty much PS1 and below, play all of the current Android games (like Mass Effect Infiltrator, GTA3, N.O.V.A etc) and could even use Onlive with it. Hopefully you can extend the storage via the USB port, but I would assume so anyways.

android can use onlive? :wtf:

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can see Android based being cool for a few people, but the profits are relatively small in this case. Like it or not, but you probably won't see CoD/BF/ME/Halo/etc type games on the console. Ever. Why you may ask? It takes far too much time and effort to make a game even when using an existing game engine (Unreal, CryEngine, etc). I'd love to see a console open for indie games (open SDK), but that'd probably end up making more problems for the console maker :(

ps. Regardless of people saying CoD: MW3 is a close copy of MW1 (what game isn't a copy of it's predecessor in some way?), it's a quality game gameplay wise. Balancing and game mechanics can be discussed, but the game is still great (otherwise people wouldn't buy it for such a long time).

pps. @[member='BrightNeko']: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onlive.client&hl=en

EDIT: Typo

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

android can use onlive? :wtf:
Yeah, there's an Onlive app. Been out for a while lol. Most games require a controller, but a PS3 one works fine, and some games have touchscreen controls. I remember when they offered a free Lego Batman game when they released it for Android :P

D

Deleted-185407

Is it only using a controller? Because I feel that would cut out an overwhelming majority of the games already made for Android which use touchscreens only.

Then we'd be stuck with a console that is only getting free games developed by people with probably little experience honestly. I doubt we'll be seeing anybody big touching this console with a ten foot pole.

EDIT: And right now I'm seeing that for twice as much (which is a bit of a steep order by $200 is still rather affordable when it comes to electronics like this) I can get either a Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, or Nexus 7, which apparently have decent specs and access to a wider, more established variety of games. But for this statement I'll steal a (citation needed) from iFish.
The whole point is that they want to move away from the touchscreen and mobile devices and move back to the controller and television. If you actually read the Kickstarter page, you would have noticed that. They don't really care if current Android games can't be played, because what they're doing isn't about just bringing another Android device to the market, but instead, a piece of hardware that game developers can specifically develop for that use a traditional controller. It just so happens, that they've decided to use Android as the device's operating system.

They not asking for any big developer to develop for the console, because again, that's not the point. They want indie developers who are working on small budgets to develop for the platform. I assume they have some sort of quality testing system in place to ensure that their dedicated marketplace isn't flooded with poor quality games.

A tablet or phone can't possibly recreate the experience that Ouya is offering. It's a new experience entirely, hence why it's getting a lot of attention. I personally don't think the concept will succeed, mainly because I think they're going to have huge difficulty making themselves attractive to the average consumer. However, we'll see what happens when the time comes.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know what android is capable (I don't have smartphones or tablets), but I'm interested in the console's idea as it's finally what a lot of homebrew developers wants: A console to develop their own games.
Maybe it will be forgotten quickly, or maybe it will raise new developers and new game companies.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that controller looks so nice.
Looks fake to me, a mockup image. Check out the metal texture, it doesn't actually follow the curves of the device (and brushed metal on a curved spot, lolwut?).

it's just a rendering. i had noticed the grain too. in actuality if they were to build that, it would probably be printed :shit: . anyway. a brushed metal controller would be pretty stupid either way.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it only using a controller? Because I feel that would cut out an overwhelming majority of the games already made for Android which use touchscreens only.

Has a touchpad for touch screen activities.

Can the wii emulate android OS?

If I were to buy it, it would be for a cheap Android Device. Maybe it can run netflix? Can it be used as a streaming device? If so, it could compete with other streaming hardware.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just don't feel good about this at all. They promise something that does exist already. An android console without a touch screen? Bleh.
They want hackers to work for them for free? Not gonna happen. Hackers have enough on there hands with existing consoles. Android is the future its not risky for them but its a rather uninteresting project.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't feel good about this at all. They promise something that does exist already. An android console without a touch screen? Bleh.
They want hackers to work for them for free? Not gonna happen. Hackers have enough on there hands with existing consoles. Android is the future its not risky for them but its a rather uninteresting project.

Not all hackers work for money... they work for the fun of it and educational purposes. Being a hacker is not a profession, it's the art of understanding something in such great length to the point where you can exploit it.

Reactions: 3 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sicklyboy, not that bad ig