Hardware Original 3DS shoulder button repair by Nintendo vs upgrade to XL?

xXdeltaXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so my 3DS's shoulder buttons seem to have bitten the dust. I guess I have 2 options, send it to Nintendo (I'm out of warranty) or just buy a new one outright. Will Ninty fix it for free? If not how much will it cost? Would it be better to just upgrade to an XL?

wischmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just ask yourself - are you willing to fix what´s broken for a price which will be somewhat hefty if looked at its percentage of the console´s buying price, or buy the bigger variant of said broken console. That sure is even more hefty in price, but thats what i would do in such a situation. In a time where flashcards start to arise i´d even consider in the firmware versions. Get your hands on a 3DS XL with Firmware <4.5, then you´d have a good deal.

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd say if your considering buying a xl why not try fixing the shoulder buttons yourself and if it doesnt worm then buy the xl

xXdeltaXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice guys, I called Ninty and they quoted $85 plus shipping. I ordered a Nintendo refurbished XL for $150, and I'll be selling my 3DS.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you feel confident with following a guide with pictures, then you really should give it a try.
A tri-wing screwdriver is not even needed.

You have to unscrew 17 screws in total (4 of them don't come off from the plastic) and you only have to remove the back part of the 3DS.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice guys, I called Ninty and they quoted $85 plus shipping. I ordered a Nintendo refurbished XL for $150, and I'll be selling my 3DS.

Why U do dis? It is very easy to swap the shoulder buttons out yourself. and I mean like so easy anybody can do it. replace the shoulder buttons then you can sell the console for even more with it working correctly again.

Here is a link to a eBay auction (with option to Buy it Now) with replacement triggers you can buy for cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251429847960

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd consider waiting until e3, a few sites have rumors saying Nintendo may unveil another new revision to the 3DS hardware. My guess would be a version that include better battery life and possibly CPP feature built in. Its very likely such a thing is not happening at all, but it couldn't hurt to wait a few weeks, unless you really need to play your 3DS.

xXdeltaXx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really foresee a new 3Ds revision, if there were one like that it probably wouldn't be a 3DS. And I still have my original

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really foresee a new 3Ds revision, if there were one like that it probably wouldn't be a 3DS. And I still have my original

Perhaps a 3D 2DS? I remember ninty announcing their intention to break into the developing markets.

Dueler

Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Bigger doesnt always mean better.
3DS XL Requires big pockets or a hand/manbag to carry.
Games are somewhat stretched and can become somewhat jarring.
Plus the XL just doesn't feel as sleek or cool as the original, i just really hate the more pronounced rounded edges.

With all that said tho i still want a 3DS XL, i just wouldnt get rid of my original to get it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill