Gaming Only 11% of Wii games score above 80%

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I for my part buy the games, I want...if there is a way, I'll test the games beforehand (i.e. rent the game for weekend) if it's good, I gonna buy it.

so the 11% over 80% games are still much more games, anybody would buy.
So there is no point in such comparision as long you are not going to buy 100% of all available games!

And for piracy...what about if the soccer mom buys the shovelware games but the good games are pirated be the haxor l33t gamers (and not many buy 'em)...what do you think is gonna happen?
a) companies know about the piracy and are satisfied developing a good game everybody wants?
b) companies develop more shovelware as the earn money with it for their hard work?

psd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
that are all just statistics don't just pay to much attention to them.

If we would had believed the statistics the wii would never had been a big hit and ps3 was the oblivious winner allready after 3 months after its release.

It might be true there are on wii a lot more crappy games but that doesn't make you need them to buy them. And for kids well if they want them to play why should that bother you? Not all games are mainly ment for an audience of 16-28 year old men only. Its basicly great that nintendo has such a big varity in its collection. And even who knows if the sales of the crappy games even go up that other will start to take the people who aint 16-28 year old men serious.

Also don't forget that a lot of kids collect money (wich take them a few weeks probally) just to buy a specific game they like. And so they might not sell maybe that well then on the first week but in the longer run thoose games might just sell pretty well.

About the ratings of games well thats an hard 1. imho it looks like that fps and race game all aimt on the main audience is always rated higher. Maybe thats probally thoose people are also the main visitors of thoose sites. For example thoose bigger games(metal gear solid and gta) even allready got rated a perfect score before they really did play it that well to give a fair opinion, not to say that they might not worth there ratings but its not really a fair rating it just get.

Annyway its just me rambling on, just buy the games you like and keep in mind not all games in store are mainly aimed for your desire only.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I think they'll want to follow PS2's lead, and reposition Wii as the console for niche and budget games later on.

I've been grabbing Wii games that have a good ratio of price/quality. Mainly $20 ones like Elebits, Dewy's Adventure, Mercury Meltdown Revolution...

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how much I agree with these statistics, as I don't currently own a XBOX360 or PS3. All I know is that every system I have ever owned, and it is pretty much all of them, have had a lot of bad games.

I think that in the scheme of things there is only between 10-20% of games out there that are good. It's the same in the movie business. Also, it should also be considered that a lot of games are judged on graphics alone, which is just dumb. I am not one of those that always says "I bought a Wii for fun, not graphics". But the PS3 and XBOX360 both look much better then the Wii, and some reviewers bump up the score just because of that. Doom3 for instance.

In addition, some reviews consider the depth of the game, time to complete, etc. The average Wii gamer doesn't care about these things. They want to play a quick fun game against their friends. They don't want a 70 hour adventure. Look at the review for Carnival games, most people agree here that the game is really fun, but it got a 4.5 from Gamespot. The actual review reads "The trouble with all of these games is that none of them are much fun beyond a couple of plays." They are missing the point.

As for the shovel ware. The fact is that no company thought that the Wii was going to succeed except a few. So when it took off like hot cakes, companies needed to respond quickly and throw games at it to make money. Considering that the Wii has completely different user base, they threw crap at the system. In some instance it stuck. So why not throw more crap at it?

It most be remembered that Nintendo was ready to go the route of Sega if the Wii didn't suceed. So why would a game company support them. The PS3 was being touted as the biggest thing ever. So it makes sense that those games would be considered "quality". People were deving those games for years, as opposed to months for the Wii. This still does not mean that those games are "quality", it just means some review likes the game. This is not taking into account how companies pay for reviews now a days as well.

So all these come into account.

XeonZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alucard77 said:
It most be remembered that Nintendo was ready to go the route of Sega if the Wii didn't suceed. So why would a game company support them. The PS3 was being touted as the biggest thing ever. So it makes sense that those games would be considered "quality". People were deving those games for years, as opposed to months for the Wii. This still does not mean that those games are "quality", it just means some review likes the game. This is not taking into account how companies pay for reviews now a days as well.

Funny how things change oh so quickly.
tongue.gif

The thing that irks me is that how companies want to throw Wii owners all these crappy games and get pissed when they don't sell. How hard is it to figure out if you put a little effort into games you'll receive some praise from the fans?

I didn't really read the entire article following the chart but I'd guess it didn't take in account that number of games on each system, which makes it a little misleading I think. The Wii has a lot of crap on it, I think that's pretty common knowledge and we don't need a chart to really demonstrate that.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but from where are we getting all of these ratings? If say from GameSpot, who has been noted to have a particular bias against Nintendo or so says people on the site, then yes of course the Wii is obviously the worst system ever made and Nintendo is going to hell for releasing it. Also, Nintendo sorta has a reputation for being kiddy, whereas Sony and Microsoft are more for the mature audiences or so are claimed. I personally don't see it, but whatever, it's mostly fanboys promoting and denying all of this.

Also, review scores != sales. If I had a nickel for every time I've read a topic like "I bought this game and it sucks OMG!" then that's definite proof that nobody reads reviews anymore so they're a needless thing in our society, eh? =P On the flip side, some of the "posthumously" rated best games are cult-classics that didn't strike it so well when they were originally released, if they were even popular to begin with.

Give me a chart with game sales and then maybe it'll be relevant.

Edit: Oh yeah, and alucard77 touched on this too. Review scores can be bought, so take them with a grain of salt here. Don't forget the Kane & Lynch scandal at GameSpot last year.
rolleyes.gif

XeonZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well it says it's getting it's ratings from Gamerankings, which is where the above 80% comes in. I take review scores and sales with a grain of salt and just read the actual review personally. 'Cause no matter what the score is it won't change my opinion of a game and sales don't equal quality all the time.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
XeonZ said:
Well it says it's getting it's ratings from Gamerankings, which is where the above 80% comes in. I take review scores and sales with a grain of salt and just read the actual review personally. 'Cause no matter what the score is it won't change my opinion of a game and sales don't equal quality all the time.

Exactly.
Most of the time, pros/cons mentioned in reviews I actually experience when I play the games.

Numbers mean very little, as different magazines have different reviewing standards and different "affiliations" also taste in games.

For example, Famitsu loves Gundams. Operation Troy receiving 7/6/6/6 actually should be taken as 6/5/5/5 tops.
EDGE doesn't give out above 80s that frequently, GOTY materials still receive 80%, so EDGE's 80% actually means "The game is totally AWESOME, but the company didn't bribe us enough"

All with the bribing and firing (like, everyone knew $ = better review scores, but Gamespot's new CEO was stupid enough to publically announce that he thinks money is more important than review integrity) I would skip a 10/10 game, but don't mind playing 2.5/10 game.

The thing is though, if I read the 2.5/10 game review and compare it with my experience, the review content is true. Camera sucks, graphics suck, no save during battles suck, etc.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100% of reviews are 80% shit. Welcome to the gaming review world, has nothing to do with gaming, and little to do with reviewing.

It's just another magazine aimed to get you to get money by appealing to your basic desire for gore and sex.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
MC DUI said:
thebobevil said:
It's not just unsuspecting parents who fork out for the licensed stuff and the animal games, it's us informed parents, too ...

Kids want what they want ... simple as that ... and if you have girls who are into animals, then animal games is what you buy them ...

This is a situation where piracy solves issues.

Make better games and I'll buy them, else I'll just download the shovelware for my kids.
No, here's where piracy has a negative influence on the game quality. "Serious" titles are aimed at the same demographic that knows how to pirate software. Shovelware is aimed at kids and their mothers, i.e. people who buy games. As a result, shovelware get sold, while "serious" titles get pirated, thus reducing profitability and removing the incentive to make more of serous titles. The math is simple: invest a lot of money and effort in making a good game, and get a small return, or invest little to no money and effort in churning out crap, and get a good return. And so, the focus of the industry shifts to general shovelware.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Veho said:
No, here's where piracy has a negative influence on the game quality. "Serious" titles are aimed at the same demographic that knows how to pirate software. Shovelware is aimed at kids and their mothers, i.e. people who buy games. As a result, shovelware get sold, while "serious" titles get pirated, thus reducing profitability and removing the incentive to make more of serous titles. The math is simple: invest a lot of money and effort in making a good game, and get a small return, or invest little to no money and effort in churning out crap, and get a good return. And so, the focus of the industry shifts to general shovelware.

I think to differ. If the game is well-made, people will buy it, period.
Compare the sales of GTA4 on PS3 and 360. While one has virtually no pirates and the other has at least a third, the game sales ratio between the two reflect the number of console sold ratio. (Because, number of 360 sold =/= number of 360 operational, especially the ones owned by pirates. So that take into account a little bit as well too)

Apply that to any console.
Monster Hunter Portable 2G sold a lot. People who enjoy MH series are mainly adults -opposed to kids and moms-. And personally I'd say installing custom firmware is dozen times easier than installing a modchip.

Certainly not all game creaters are obsessed with money to compromise quality for reduced production cost.

I only buy good games. Yes pirating them are easy as 1-2-3 but that doesn't stop me from buying games.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
A lot of the commercial failures are far from bad, but are kinds of games the majority just doesn't find interesting enough. No amount of advertising or bundles with consoles would've made Earthbound sell at SMB3 levels. It simply isn't going to happen.

Launch titles however, tend to sell well because there's little else to choose from.

Dedale

Trophies
Website
my.opera.com
XP
Country
Canada
deathfisaro said:
Monster Hunter Portable 2G sold a lot. People who enjoy MH series are mainly adults -opposed to kids and moms-. And personally I'd say installing custom firmware is dozen times easier than installing a modchip.

It sold well even in US ? Coz in Japan... Yeah it's very impressive ! But in Japan, they buy games
wink.gif

I think it's more complicate. There's a lot of factors.
You have the fact that the dev kit of the wii is cheaper than others and that is apparently friendly use, so you can make a game with a reduced team.
After, the fact that the console is pirated, it's concerned adult (18-40) who modchip their console so maybe dev focus on the youngers and casual gamers to make money.
Anyway, if you check the release list of the Wii... yes there's a lot of crap
wacko.gif
and it's logical that MC gives us this rate !

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dedale said:
deathfisaro said:

It sold well even in US ? Coz in Japan... Yeah it's very impressive ! But in Japan, they buy games
wink.gif

I think it's more complicate. There's a lot of factors.
You have the fact that the dev kit of the wii is cheaper than others and that is apparently friendly use, so you can make a game with a reduced team.
After, the fact that the console is pirated, it's concerned adult (18-40) who modchip their console so maybe dev focus on the youngers and casual gamers to make money.
Anyway, if you check the release list of the Wii... yes there's a lot of crap
wacko.gif
and it's logical that MC gives us this rate !
No. I read from Famitsu that MHP2G was the most sold game in Japan in 2008's first half.
(Actually really impressive since PSP sales is no match for DS, and also installing custom firmware is more cost-efficient than buying a flashcart.)

And well, I don't think piracy rate in Japan and US are much different. Really depends on where you hang out.
Wii console sales ratio of Japan and US are almost the same as Brawl (X) sales ratio.
Certainly US Brawl sales is too high to say Japanese people buy games and Americans don't.

That's all. I'm not denying piracy is hurting game sales, but it's also hurting shovelware sales.
Can't blame piracy for shovelware. While Wii gets shovelware that poorly utilizes its control scheme, PS3 gets shovelware like Agarest Senki. I'm so gald it didn't sell well. Tears to Tiara is by no means a good either. mediocre SRPG the sells by its adventure (and pronounced dating) part.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His argument is crap. I love how little things like the facts of how the Wii launch was viewed by most 3rd parties combined with the year after with people being hosed by the popularity and having to shovel in mass to get a piece of the action before the A game could start showing. That's why it's 11%...stupid 3rd parties mixed with some select true shovelware bs (like Ninjabread Man.)

Dedale

Trophies
Website
my.opera.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think you have shovelware on every console. Especially on Nintendo consoles. Made it clear, I'm a Nintendo Fanboy and I had all the consoles (except the 64...!) but when you see the games on DS and Wii, you have not so much alternative. It's explains the SSBB phenomenon. A great game, everybody get it. It's the same for GTA IV on 360 and PS3.

For the pircacy in Japan, I know only for Tokyo and it's very hard to find a modchip here, on the other hand, you can find R4 and DSTT everywhere in Akihabara ! Surely more expensive that with Gameyeeeah or others but the point is the piracy is not as well developped as in Europe, US or China (lol) and even if there are linkers, DS Sales are still very good.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Same in North America. If you buy flashcarts offline, they're well overpriced and hard to find modchips except in Chinatown.

DS sales is pretty good here (I had to phone literally two dozen stores to find a DS Lite), gameshops like EBGames are always crowded and when I post DS game for sale on craigslist, I get an-email in less than 2 hours usually. And Vancouver isn't really a big city.

GBATemp is like an extreme outlier when it comes to group of gamers IMO.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying a bad game and realizing it after you've made the permanent purchase sucks alot.
Wich is why a good amount of poeple pirate. Cause they don't wanna waste their cash on a crap game and videos and reviews simply don't cut it.
You gotta play the game to know if its good enough for your cash.

I disagree with the Wii having only twenty games that are "good"
Wich would mean more than half of my Wii game collection is all junk cuase its not entirely Nintendo games.
Not all my games are "good" but they certainly aren't junk. At the very least decent.

Still, the point I was wanting to get at is that if there was a "pay a quarter play the game for a bit" mechanizim then we wouldn't be having these quality and pirating issues so much.
An arcade game can't survive if no one plays it.
They fall into obscurity cause its only tried once rather than twice.

Today, its just the one that makes the most sales. This method is not based on how good a game is or how favored the actual game is by the people. Just how well the name sells.
Wich is why shovelware sells. Even if its a picture flipbook program disguised as a game, as long as it has that kitten on the front and says its playable, then it'll get the sales.

So ya, a way to play quaters to try a game or just more demo solutions would be nice.
Also demos shouldn't be such a burden to developers.
Maybe some incentive would be nice.
I wouldnt mind paying a quarter or two for a demo just to help show the devs the interest in the game and warrent the time used to make the demo.
Though then theres the shovel ware jumping in and ruining that too.

Just better to play the failing console for better overall quality in percentage or just stick to homebrew amd remind yourself its free.

Personally, I'm happy with the Wii and my carefully picked out first party, third party, and ported games.

QUOTE said:
What exactly do you mean by "Outier"?

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
shadow1w2 said:
QUOTE said:

By outlier I mean the exceptional high percentage of flashcart owners (regardless of purpose).
There's no way GBATemp can represent general public's flashcart usage. Piracy is actually not as bad as it might seem here.
In fact, you might be surprised how many Tempers buy DS games even when they have flashcarts.

I brought it up to say piracy doesn't encourage shovelware and just hurt good games.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
deathfisaro said:
shadow1w2 said:
QUOTE said:

By outlier I mean the exceptional high percentage of flashcart owners (regardless of purpose).
There's no way GBATemp can represent general public's flashcart usage. Piracy is actually not as bad as it might seem here.
In fact, you might be surprised how many Tempers buy DS games even when they have flashcarts.

I brought it up to say piracy doesn't encourage shovelware and just hurt good games.
C'mon, speak your mind, all you REALLY wanted to say is that most tempers are spoilt brats!
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__