Ok so I got a job...

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since August of last year I have been trying to find a job, don't care what or where, just so long as it wasn't some dump like McDonalds where I would have to work with illiterate people who just got off the boat or dumbass teenagers and highschool dropouts. Anyway, I got a job with a company that sells kitchenware, they have been around since 1941 and mainly target students as employees, they offered me the job on the spot and I figured even if I am not the best salesman, I could at least make some income out of it. Yet after 11 months of having my parents bitch at me constantly to get a job and despite dropping off over 200 resumes over the course of 11 months, I only ever got two interviews and none of the employment agencies I am registered with could find me work. I have a lot of determination and have always been a competitor, which is one of the reasons why I was offered the job and so I took it yet even though it is based around commission, I can still make an hourly wage for meeting with customers. But it pisses me off that my parents have to bitch about me taking a job that does not require me to have a vehicle, despite having part time access to one (hell if I get good enough I will just buy my own damn car!) my parents seem to think that I will need it all the time, when in fact I don't give a rats ass if I have to take the bus to meet clients sometimes, not to mention at least I can build a schedule that fits around my college courses and allows me to work when I am available instead of having to try and book time off all the time due to tests and exams.

Yeah, I have no sales experience, at least I get to learn something new instead of having to work in shithole restaurants and in hot smelly factories with garbage but it drives me absolutely nuts that my parents have a problem with me doing something different just because I may have to get around once and awhile by car, but instead they could be encouraging me to be successful.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, even if it is a scam, might as well make some money
tongue.gif

Deadmon

A Temper
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Congrats to you man, but DeMoN may have nailed it.

I remember hearing about a company that gives jobs to students on the spot during a ECON102 lecture, and this sounds awfully simliar to how my prof described it. Unforuntately I don't remember the company name or how the scam went down...but be very careful, it's common these days.
Read this: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/services/colt...mpanies-eng.htm

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't make money with that. You need to buy a demo set first, before you can even start making sales. And who is going to be buying expensive equipment in this economy?

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Are you working for a company called Vector marketing by any chance? It's a scam fyi.

Otherwise, good luck.
haha thats too rich. Me and all the friends I know from school got that letter from vector. We all knew it was a scam. FYI you can't get money from a scam.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Deadmon said:
Congrats to you man, but DeMoN may have nailed it.

I remember hearing about a company that gives jobs to students on the spot during a ECON102 lecture, and this sounds awfully simliar to how my prof described it. Unforuntately I don't remember the company name or how the scam went down...but be very careful, it's common these days.
Read this: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/services/colt...mpanies-eng.htm
Considering there isn't any telemarketing involved, I can't really see how this is a scam, not to mention the company has been in business since 1981 and their parent company has existed for decades, they would have long since been shut down and their business methods would not be taught at universities and had their products published in Consumer Digest magazine. Obviously I am wary and any suspicious activity and I will be out quick.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The company itself is not fake. Hell, some people say it can't really be considered a scam (though it is, since it's a Pyramid Scheme).

What I don't like about this company is that it promises a hourly wage even though there is none. And you only find this out after the very long training session, so be glad we warned you here.

But the clincher is that you have to buy their god damn knife set for demonstrations. Now, I have no clue but some people say it's refundable, and others say it isn't (there's a FML about this too). Either way, you should never work for a company that makes you pay them. If you have to pay for expenses, you tell them to take it out of your paycheck. But obviously this does not apply here since there is no paycheck.

In the end, what really matters is how well you sell the knives. If you could mind control every client you meet with to buy the things, you could make a fortune from this supposedly "scam" company. But in reality, very few people will buy knives from strangers, especially in this economy. I know people in real life who did make some money, though not a lot and definitely not worth the time or effort (you'll probably be better off doing those stupid online surveys). The knives are very expensive, and you'll probably only be able to sell them to your parents or close relatives. I don't know how many sets you need to sell to break even from paying for the demo set, but an article I read said that 50% of the sellers surveyed say they either lost money or didn't make any profit from this company. 50% actually seems high in my opinion, but you don't know exactly how much money the average person makes from this.

DSgamer64, you did not seem bothered by the fact that you have to do door-to-door selling. I know for a fact that I could never do such a thing because I'm too shy. I suggest you give this company a chance if you want, because your personality seems to be right for the job.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haha I told em I don't want to work for them but I wound up getting called for an interview at Futureshop tommorow. Despite the fact that some people who work there are dumb and don't know shit about computers, I figure I could put what I know to good use.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be surprised if with that arrogant attitude you could land an actual job anywhere.

Everyone starts at 'shithole' places like mcdonalds, you can't avoid it. That's how you climb up the ladder.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
I'd be surprised if with that arrogant attitude you could land an actual job anywhere.

Everyone starts at 'shithole' places like mcdonalds, you can't avoid it. That's how you climb up the ladder.
Sometimes you get stuck in the "shitholes," though...
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: hiiii sisters