Status
Not open for further replies.

mlc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the "Gateway isn't responsible because your particular product may have been faulty and therefore triggered Gateway's intentional brick code" and the "Gateway isn't responsible because it was too cold outside" responses. The too cold outside one could literally be parody of some of the Gateway defenders on here; I'm still not certain that it isn't parody.

I'm sorry for your bad luck. It seems like some members here are making progress on unbricking, although it will take an arduino and soldering skills. Personally I would not send my property to Gateway. It's like anonymously hiring the thief who picked your lock to fix it, since he obviously is an expert. There is a very good chance that Gateway will say you were responsible for your brick, and hold your property hostage until you pay them $100.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I love the "Gateway isn't responsible because your particular product may have been faulty and therefore triggered Gateway's intentional brick code" and the "Gateway isn't responsible because it was too cold outside" responses. The too cold outside one could literally be parody of some of the Gateway defenders on here; I'm still not certain that it isn't parody.

I'm sorry for your bad luck. It seems like some members here are making progress on unbricking, although it will take an arduino and soldering skills. Personally I would not send my property to Gateway. It's like anonymously hiring the thief who picked your lock to fix it, since he obviously is an expert. There is a very good chance that Gateway will say you were responsible for your brick, and hold your property hostage until you pay them $100.
Personal responsibility has to come into play at some point, however. From the sounds of it, he knew that 2.0b2 had bricking code in it, but he went ahead and installed it on an SD card/Gateway cart that was having issues with every other firmware version already.

I still feel bad for him, but that was definitely not a smart move and not something I would have done in the same position armed with that knowledge.

mlc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personal responsibility has to come into play at some point, however. From the sounds of it, he knew that 2.0b2 had bricking code in it already, but he went ahead and installed it on an SD card/Gateway cart that was having issues with every other firmware version already.

I still feel bad for him, but that was definitely not a smart move and not something I would have done in the same position armed with that knowledge.

You are quite right. But Gateway hasn't recalled or fixed the firmware: in fact, they still recommend it to their customers. Buyer beware and all that, but Gateway is the "bad guy" in all of this. If you were to trust Gateway, you might very well believe that installing the newest firmware could eliminate some of the bugs you experienced.

Also I don't think that we should necessarily expect every customer to do as much research as you or I might do prior to using a hack, and flashcarts in general have not required users to go to such lengths. This problem was created by malicious code being secretly inserted into an overpriced but popular device. Reputable companies don't do this, both because it violates the law and because it creates more problems than it fixes due to potential bugs or faulty hardware. Gateway doesn't have to worry about the law, user satisfaction, or their reputation (since they can just disappear and rebrand themselves), hence these problems.

And, hilariously, despite being a company, they will do less to help out the victims of their actions than even an individual hacker would do. Of course that is partially due to capitalism's incompatibility with morality.

thecourier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B-BUT GATEWAY DIDN'T DO IT. THEY WERE JUST TRYING TO PROTECT THEMSELVES! I-IT WAS THE CLONES FAULT, THEY DID IT!

Reactions: mlc

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to verify a Gateway as genuine? Is it possible that this and others may have fake Gateways?
There are no known hardware clones at the moment. But Gateway carts can be DOA like any other hardware component you have shipped to you in the mail. Sounds like his SD card may have been failing as well.

AngryRussianKid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
yes, it will help you... just you have to be sure that seller is sending you motherboard with firmvare version between 4.1 and 4.5

I hope that Nintendo Service Center will replace my motherboard for free (took it to them 2 hours ago).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It could be also malfunctioning SD card... It seems the gatewat flashcart worked fine, since it could execute the brick code on your 3DS.
It's not the flashcart which brick the console, it's the software on the SD card.
Bricks can happen with Launcher.dat only, and without flashcart inserted. (Normmatt mod)

Is there any way to verify a Gateway as genuine? Is it possible that this and others may have fake Gateways?
There are no known hardware clones at the moment.
We don't know that, as nobody took a picture of the "faulty" cards yet.

Could AngryRussianKid open his white/red card and took a picture of the internal? (if possible with visible numbers on chipsets etc.)
(oh, and please, turn your signature 90°, height is too big)

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

inian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope that Nintendo Service Center will replace my motherboard for free (took it to them 2 hours ago).

well, your hope is that bricking from flashcard news aren't reached nintendo service in Russia... because in other countries where have been more cases of bricking, Nintendo is refusing to repair consoles under warranty

AngryRussianKid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I hope they will, but if they do, they will update your fw to the latest version.

I have a great russian statement, that describe my thoughts with every detail. But in English, I would say that I dont care, I just want a repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries