Oculus devices will require Facebook logins, the company announces

zucculus.PNG
Oculus, a Facebook-owned company, has announced today that it will terminate support for signing in its devices with Oculus accounts in favor of Facebook accounts. But don't fret as these changes don't get into effect immediately. Starting this October 2020, first time log-ins on an Oculus device will need to do so with a Facebook account. Existing users will have the option to merge their Oculus and Facebook accounts, or continue using their Oculus accounts for a period of two years. After January 1, 2023, support for Oculus accounts will completely end. Those who don't merge their accounts by that time can still continue using their Oculus device, but will require a Facebook account for full functionality.

Of note, the company mentions that "all future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account."

This move appears to be made to streamline Facebook’s management across its platforms. The announcement reads that rather than having a separate Oculus Code of Conduct, Oculus will adopt Facebook’s Community Standards as well as a new additional VR-focused policy. Another reason given is that a single login will make it "easier to find, connect and play with friends in VR" as well as allow Oculus device owners to try "Facebook-powered social experiences" such as live streaming gameplay on your Facebook timeline, making calls with parties and joining events. It could also help the company ban spam accounts.

This decision also goes against what Palmer Luckey, the creator of the original Oculus, said upon the acquisition: "You will not need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift".

What do you think of this announcement? Will it make you reconsider before purchasing a new Oculus device?

:arrow: SOURCE

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not surprised by this at all and really no one should be. My Rift has been collecting dust and as excited as I was for VR, I feel like most of how its gone has made me ice cold to it these days.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love all the angry reactions on the article from linked Facebook accounts on their comments system lol

Screenshot_20200818-202555.png

Dick move though. As a Quest owner it doesn't really bother me personally but I can see how some would be against it.

Nothing against making a fake account solely for Oculus use though.

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's awful. I'm so glad I went with the Samsung O+.

I feel bad for all the Oculus owners though. I just don't trust Facebook with any data, and having cameras and microphone linked to Facebook creeps me out.

Anyone else remember reading about Oculus taking pictures and sending them in automated bug reports? It was never confirmed to be true, but I wouldn't be surprised. Lol, the guy that claimed to work for them said he saw several of his co-workers nude thanks to those pictures. Hopefully it's not true.

Edit: great idea to use a fake account shaunj66!

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
look at the brighter side, this puts a bullseye on hacking up the oculus so it can circumvent/sideload. And this is pissing off pretty much literally the entire planet of Earth.
afaik the quest can easily sideload apps as it's based on Android.

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
look at the brighter side, this puts a bullseye on hacking up the oculus so it can circumvent/sideload. And this is pissing off pretty much literally the entire planet of Earth.
What do you mean puts a bullseye on hacking? We've had methods to bypass Oculus DRM for years now. And Sideloading has been a thing for a while.

If you mean hacking it to remove the Facebook login requirement, we'll see how that works out. Pretty sure you can still block Oculus program in windows firewall to prevent the auto-updates. My install for Oculus games have never seen the internet. Of course that means you can't buy/download games from their store though..

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work