Oculus devices will require Facebook logins, the company announces

zucculus.PNG
Oculus, a Facebook-owned company, has announced today that it will terminate support for signing in its devices with Oculus accounts in favor of Facebook accounts. But don't fret as these changes don't get into effect immediately. Starting this October 2020, first time log-ins on an Oculus device will need to do so with a Facebook account. Existing users will have the option to merge their Oculus and Facebook accounts, or continue using their Oculus accounts for a period of two years. After January 1, 2023, support for Oculus accounts will completely end. Those who don't merge their accounts by that time can still continue using their Oculus device, but will require a Facebook account for full functionality.

Of note, the company mentions that "all future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account."

This move appears to be made to streamline Facebook’s management across its platforms. The announcement reads that rather than having a separate Oculus Code of Conduct, Oculus will adopt Facebook’s Community Standards as well as a new additional VR-focused policy. Another reason given is that a single login will make it "easier to find, connect and play with friends in VR" as well as allow Oculus device owners to try "Facebook-powered social experiences" such as live streaming gameplay on your Facebook timeline, making calls with parties and joining events. It could also help the company ban spam accounts.

This decision also goes against what Palmer Luckey, the creator of the original Oculus, said upon the acquisition: "You will not need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift".

What do you think of this announcement? Will it make you reconsider before purchasing a new Oculus device?

:arrow: SOURCE

ChimpBoiBoi

Newcomer
Trophies
420 uhh no rd, nothing, nowhere, US, 00000
XP
Country
United States
I dont know why people are upset... they specifically said "for full functionality" this is the same thing as Sony , Nintendo, or Microsoft you have to make an account and buy subscription for "full functionality"
Seems to me you just need to make a fake Facebook account or merge your oculous account with a dummy Facebook account.

Shouldn't surprise anyone by now. Sony told us in PS3 are that we don't "own" our hardware despite paying for it lol
Difference is, this is facebook did nintendo tell us to sign up for a social media platform to use our device.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Difference is, this is facebook did nintendo tell us to sign up for a social media platform to use our device.
Yes. Your NNID was also your Miiverse account, and Miiverse was bundled on both 3DS and Wii U.
No one is forcing you to actually use Facebook. In fact you can disable your Facebook account after making it and still use it for Messenger and I assume use it for Oculus as well.

ChimpBoiBoi

Newcomer
Trophies
420 uhh no rd, nothing, nowhere, US, 00000
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Your NNID was also your Miiverse account, and Miiverse was bundled on both 3DS and Wii U.
No one is forcing you to actually use Facebook. In fact you can disable your Facebook account after making it and still use it for Messenger and I assume use it for Oculus as well.
Miiverse was a feature of nnid, its not like have to sign up for a full on social media platform to use nnid. But you do for Oculus.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I dont really see a difference. Just make a fake account and use the services they arent requiring you to use your real account so i dont see the big deal. A gaming console you are forced to use an account for full functionality of your device AND you have to pay a fee for subscription to access online servers.

It shouldn't be that way but that's the way things are now.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this should have been a requirement at launch and not so long after launch. I don't really care that they added it, I am just shocked that they did it this late.
Likely the only reason they didn't make it a requirement at launch is because they knew it would negatively impact sales. At this point the Oculus brand has probably paid for itself and then some, plus they know a lot of casual consumers won't see or care about this news, so any slight amount of financial damage it causes can be mitigated by selling Oculus user data.

Just make a fake account and use the services they arent requiring you to use your real account so i dont see the big deal.
Unless you're using a different computer from a different location and with a different browser history, Facebook can easily tie your fake account data back to your real account on their end. Facebook cookies, trackers, and plugins are nearly omnipresent across the web.

Last edited by Xzi,

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Facebook will scan your eyes with the oculus and make cyborgs with your data than can hack all your stuff with iris scan in the future

Reactions: yuyuyup
D

Deleted User

Fuck this. I'm gonna have to wait until another company comes out with a completely wireless headset because I'm too used to playing my PCVR games without cables now

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I dont really see a difference. Just make a fake account and use the services they arent requiring you to use your real account so i dont see the big deal. A gaming console you are forced to use an account for full functionality of your device AND you have to pay a fee for subscription to access online servers.

It shouldn't be that way but that's the way things are now.

With the trend of Facebook deleting "fake" profiles, or ones that simply don't supply them with enough bio data--you might be having a hard time creating a fake Facebook account in 2023.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I dont know why people are upset... they specifically said "for full functionality" this is the same thing as Sony , Nintendo, or Microsoft you have to make an account and buy subscription for "full functionality"
Seems to me you just need to make a fake Facebook account or merge your oculous account with a dummy Facebook account.

Shouldn't surprise anyone by now. Sony told us in PS3 are that we don't "own" our hardware despite paying for it lol
You apparently aren't aware of Facebook essentially being spyware. Any time you make an account on it, you forego practically all privacy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?