1. 11,089

Front-page
    zucculus.PNG
    Oculus, a Facebook-owned company, has announced today that it will terminate support for signing in its devices with Oculus accounts in favor of Facebook accounts. But don't fret as these changes don't get into effect immediately. Starting this October 2020, first time log-ins on an Oculus device will need to do so with a Facebook account. Existing users will have the option to merge their Oculus and Facebook accounts, or continue using their Oculus accounts for a period of two years. After January 1, 2023, support for Oculus accounts will completely end. Those who don't merge their accounts by that time can still continue using their Oculus device, but will require a Facebook account for full functionality.

Of note, the company mentions that "all future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account."

This move appears to be made to streamline Facebook’s management across its platforms. The announcement reads that rather than having a separate Oculus Code of Conduct, Oculus will adopt Facebook’s Community Standards as well as a new additional VR-focused policy. Another reason given is that a single login will make it "easier to find, connect and play with friends in VR" as well as allow Oculus device owners to try "Facebook-powered social experiences" such as live streaming gameplay on your Facebook timeline, making calls with parties and joining events. It could also help the company ban spam accounts.

This decision also goes against what Palmer Luckey, the creator of the original Oculus, said upon the acquisition: "You will not need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift".

What do you think of this announcement? Will it make you reconsider before purchasing a new Oculus device?

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Discussion (150 replies)

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Total shit move, not buying

4. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I'm not surprised by this at all and really no one should be. My Rift has been collecting dust and as excited as I was for VR, I feel like most of how its gone has made me ice cold to it these days.

5. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    The only surprising thing about this is that they didn't require it sooner. Precisely the reason I went with Vive for gen1 and Valve/Pimax for gen2. Well, this and the superior room-scale support, anyway.

6. diggeloid

diggeloid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So glad I went with SteamVR. How can anyone feel comfortable in their own home with an internet-connected Facebook spy device with cameras and a microphone?

7. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Never on Facebook, never gonna be. No sale, Zuckerberg.

8. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator
    Administrator

United Kingdom
    I love all the angry reactions on the article from linked Facebook accounts on their comments system lol

Screenshot_20200818-202555.png

Dick move though. As a Quest owner it doesn't really bother me personally but I can see how some would be against it.

Nothing against making a fake account solely for Oculus use though.

9. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    That's awful. I'm so glad I went with the Samsung O+.

I feel bad for all the Oculus owners though. I just don't trust Facebook with any data, and having cameras and microphone linked to Facebook creeps me out.

Anyone else remember reading about Oculus taking pictures and sending them in automated bug reports? It was never confirmed to be true, but I wouldn't be surprised. Lol, the guy that claimed to work for them said he saw several of his co-workers nude thanks to those pictures. Hopefully it's not true.

Edit: great idea to use a fake account shaunj66!

weatMod and SuzieJoeBob like this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

oof luckily, when i was in the market for a vr set, i decided to go for the og vive

weatMod likes this.
  11. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    look at the brighter side, this puts a bullseye on hacking up the oculus so it can circumvent/sideload. And this is pissing off pretty much literally the entire planet of Earth.

12. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

afaik the quest can easily sideload apps as it's based on Android.

13. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yeah but the oculus PC install has crappy auto-update measures etc, and same with the gear vr/go/quest ecosystem (hopefully an autoupdate won't screw people out of sideloading/alvr/other useful VR crap

14. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Fan

Angola
    But my face isn't a book.

Coolsonickirby likes this.
  15. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    What do you mean puts a bullseye on hacking? We've had methods to bypass Oculus DRM for years now. And Sideloading has been a thing for a while.

If you mean hacking it to remove the Facebook login requirement, we'll see how that works out. Pretty sure you can still block Oculus program in windows firewall to prevent the auto-updates. My install for Oculus games have never seen the internet. Of course that means you can't buy/download games from their store though..

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  16. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

United States
    Dear Facebook
    Fuck you!

17. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I'm not surprised. I just hoped they wouldn't force it. I was wanting to buy their next Quest variant. Ughhhhhh

18. CPG

CPG C RING P OOP G UY

Canada
    this is why i don't use vr
    not because im broke or anything

hehe

19. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Fan

Me too it's not like I've been a Facebook addict for years.

20. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  21. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Gamer Professional Deluxe
    Supervisor

Croatia
    Sweet, will use my rift s until 2023 and then trade it in and get something else.

Fuck facebook :)

felix.200, Foxi4, weatMod and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - announces, Facebook, devices