Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Ocarina of Time Level Hacking has officially begun. I know, it sounds crazy. But while a lot of people out there have been concentrating on the latest next-gen games, a collection of people from a forum called ZSO have created development tools to modify Ocarina of Time to a great extent.

Some may recall a pair of hackers known as Jaytheham and Cendamos, who found an Arwing deep within Ocarina of Time, brought into the game using an Actor Hack Gameshark Code. Ever since then, the scene has been developing tools to take that idea and expand on it. Remember such codes like "Green Fog" or "Get Multiple Links", but then remember how they always shut off after you took out the gameshark? Imagine that, but the Green Fog stays. There always Multiple Links. There's always going to an arwing when you enter that specific room.

Remember such hoaxes like "The Light Temple" or "Get the Triforce"? Imagine if you really could get the Triforce, or enter The Light Temple? With the tools in place, it's now possible to create such things. A programmer called cooliscool has created an OoT-Modification tool now called Utility of Time (once called ZAVAP, which stood for Zelda Actor Viewer and Actor Positioner). It allows you to move actors, change actors, view maps, view actors change the colour and thickness of fog and more. In future releases, it will also add the ability to add actors to maps and even edit the map itself!

There's another tool, called Zelda Level Editor, which does what it says on the tin. It's developed by a person called JSA. It's somewhat more basic looking then Utility of Time, however it already has the functionality to add actors and edit the maps themselves using a landscape editor.

But, what good are tools if there's no mods that emerge from them? A hacker called DL77 is working on a project called Project MM OoT, which will bring a lot of elements from MM over to Ocarina of Time. So far, it's going along quite smoothly and much like the new version of Utility of Time, it is scheduled for a beta release soon.

Then there's another on going project, by another ZSO Member called Xu Yuan, who feels that the Master Quest version of Ocarina of Time wasn't quite hard enough to be considered a Quest for Masters, which I'm sure most of you will agree! His plan is to remake the game with an altered story, new quests and much harder fights. I myself still haven't completed the Great Deku Tree yet! This game is so epic and feature filled you get sucked into the game right from the get go. It's like playing through Ocarina of Time for the first time again.

On top of epic remakes, there are also enhancements in standalone hacking too. A Member called Bloodmoon was successfully able to put the Triforce cutscene into another room (the example used was putting the triforce cutscene into a beta testing room called #120. As well as this, we have found the ability to bring up any animation at will in Link, which has found some rather interesting and beta animations. This, coupled with a certain texture found using the Utility of Time, a mini-project has started to try and bring back the Beam Blade attack.

These are just some of the mods and hacks that have come recently to the scene, there are plenty more on the forums. Even if you're slightly interested, come take a look! It's breathing new life into a game that a lot of Nintendo gamers hold close to their hearts.

--------------

Links to Utility of Time, Zelda Level Editor and other such utilities

Youtube Video of the Triforce cutscene being in another room

Project MM OoT Release Thread - Contains download links, pictures, updates, etc

Xu Yuan's Projects Release Thread - Contains his True Master's Quest Mod as well as other earlier mods.
True Master's Quest Video 1
True Master's Quest Video 2: Hyrule Province

ZSO Forums

---------------

I've been part of this community for a while, trust me, a lot of work has been put into this. Enjoy it! By the way, there are no links to the actual ROMs there, only PPF Patches! You'll have to dig out the ROM yourself...

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Good news
ohmy.gif

I hope someone's going to create a full level hack, similar to that Parallel Worlds ALTTP hack...
of course, it'd be a much larger project than making a hack of a 2D game, but then again I bet there are many more people who are eager to make an OoT mod

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
very cool, hopefully we'll see some awesome stuff in a couple months

only thing that kinda sucks is a lot of people will probably be making hoax videos of "the real oot", getting the triforce etc

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The level editor is not that great.
frown.gif

You most likely don't know what you're currently editing.
It is using an Wireframe mode.

Better would be some leveleditor with textured view or untextured.
biggrin.gif

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
very cool, hopefully we'll see some awesome stuff in a couple months

only thing that kinda sucks is a lot of people will probably be making hoax videos of "the real oot", getting the triforce etc

And then we'll just spam them with links on showing how its done...lol.

Gaisuto -- Trust me on this, these modders won't give up on it. They're way too dedicated. And even if they do, by the time they do I feel enough people will know what to do. The thing is though, if someone has some sort of ROM loader for their N64, they'd be able to run this mod directly on their N64.

Vater Unser -- That's essentially what Xu Yuan's mod is. The only problem we have at the moment is that we can't directly texture hack, that can only be done via emulation plugins at the moment. It can be done, but it would be very hard work. Everything we'd like to do hasn't been done yet (create our own enemies, directly import maps from other games, create our own cutscenes, etc). It'll eventually be done (technically, creating enemies and importing maps is more a case of actually getting the compliler coded instead of learning how its done), but it's not available at the moment.

In terms of development tools, keep your eyes on Utility of Time. The developer, cooliscool, actually knows the model file format inside and out. Expect big things.

EDIT: Dominik -- I admit the landscape editing isn't entirely friendly at the moment, however, with this next release of Utility of Time, I think landscape editing is in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Btw it seems like the user dtapple disabled others posting on their profile, either they are...