Objective-Based FPS With Good Community

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after playing Battlefield 3 for around 4 hours total, I'm getting really fucking sick of it. Sure, the engine is good and it feels good, nothing about the game itself is bad for me, but the community is just so fucking retarded. I don't play deathmatch gametypes ever, because I like actually having direction. I like acting as a member of a team. Sadly, even on objective-based game modes, most people just run around trying to kill anything they can. So what are some objective-based FPS's where teams actually act like a team? Where the majority of players actually know how to play the game

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So after playing Battlefield 3 for around 4 hours total, I'm getting really fucking sick of it. Sure, the engine is good and it feels good, nothing about the game itself is bad for me, but the community is just so fucking retarded. I don't play deathmatch gametypes ever, because I like actually having direction. I like acting as a member of a team. Sadly, even on objective-based game modes, most people just run around trying to kill anything they can. So what are some objective-based FPS's where teams actually act like a team? Where the majority of players actually know how to play the game
Maybe Nuclear Dawn? It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it plays like an FPS if you're not commander and you pretty much NEED to act as a team afaik or you will lose. Not sure how the community is though; I'm not even sure if it still has active players.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Nuclear Dawn? It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it plays like an FPS if you're not commander and you pretty much NEED to act as a team afaik or you will lose. Not sure how the community is though; I'm not even sure if it still has active players.
well i'm open to non-fps games i guess. mobas or dota clones would work but I prefer something more action-y, not letting stats determine the winner

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well i'm open to non-fps games i guess. mobas or dota clones would work but I prefer something more action-y, not letting stats determine the winner
It isn't. It's like an FPS where one person controls and gives missions like an RTS.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To make battlefield fun, you need to be playing with a good squad. Usually i would play with my friends and fill up like 1 or 2 squards, but it your team suck and you cant find a good squad its not that great.

Reactions: 1 person

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

do you have BF2 ? if so you could try FH2 mod the people that play that are all about teamplay
i seen good community in BF2142

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think you should get used to the fact that a great majority of gamers are d*cks, plain and simple. You can look all you want and there will always be griefing, trolling, cursing and other immature conduct, unless the game is considered so indie that its community becomes closed and very selective, elitist, even. In 95% of the cases it also means that the game is s*it, in 5% that it requires a very specific, acquired taste.
Entering a clan and restricting yourself to matches that are "serious business", aka "laddering" may prevent this in a limited scope, but it requires commitment which often takes away some of the fun factor.

Believe it or not, one of the games I found to be quite great was... Counter Strike. And no, I don't mean the global servers or the NonSteam private ones with little protection - I mean proper private NonSteam that usually requires registration that are heavily modded and geared towards AntiCheating. If the server is marked as TP (team play) and you can see that some users are dropped automatically (instaban/kick) for not meeting the requirements or using cheating software, it's a good sign. Most of CS is literally plagued with crappy servers, but if you look on google, you will find those bastions of the game's original purpose eventually.

Reactions: 2 people

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Try Tribes: Ascend(F2P FPS). I don't know what the community is like now, but back when I first played it it was an absolutely amazing experience, the community at the time was great as well.
Again, note that this could be completely different now.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Tribes: Ascend(F2P FPS). I don't know what the community is like now, but back when I first played it it was an absolutely amazing experience, the community at the time was great as well.
I played a bit of tribes: ascend, to me it didn't seem very team-based at all. not saying it's a bad game, it's just not the type of thing i'm looking for

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Try Team Fortress 2. That game is built around teamwork and it is free to play on steam. Plus, there are thousands of mods that keep the game refreshing :)
i've tried playing tf2 a few times but i can't get into it. and i hesitate to believe there's a great community, it being a f2p game, where any 12 year old can get on and be stupid
Age does not have anything to do with being stupid, there are perfectly stupid adults as well.

The thing about Team Fortress 2 is that you might have to find a community containing nice people for it to be an enjoyable experience. Randomly server-hopping usually isn't quite as fun as it is playing with people you somewhat know.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most online communities for most games suck in general. That's the long and the short of it.

You don't have to abandon BF3 just because of this fact, though. Find some friends to play with, or spend a little time in Team Deathmatch (even if you don't like it) to find good players and see if if they'd be interested in objective based gaming sessions.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Try Team Fortress 2. That game is built around teamwork and it is free to play on steam. Plus, there are thousands of mods that keep the game refreshing :)

Ugh, I can't stand that game. It just feels so broken to me. Everything is a hectic mess and everything.

The hectic nature of that game is what makes it enjoyable. I find myself not giving a fuck about a thing when playing it, unlike other FPS. In short, it is less rage inducing than other FPS IMO

I played a bit of tribes: ascend, to me it didn't seem very team-based at all. not saying it's a bad game, it's just not the type of thing i'm looking for

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i've tried playing tf2 a few times but i can't get into it. and i hesitate to believe there's a great community, it being a f2p game, where any 12 year old can get on and be stupid
Age does not have anything to do with being stupid, there are perfectly stupid adults as well.

The thing about Team Fortress 2 is that you might have to find a community containing nice people for it to be an enjoyable experience. Randomly server-hopping usually isn't quite as fun as it is playing with people you somewhat know.
QFT. I liked TF2 before and I have my occasional TF2 addiction, but I really got addicted for 2 months straight when I found a great server with a SUPERB community, very funny guys and it was just an incredible experience. The Crazy GFL, loads of sounds/songs implemented in the server, some great admins, a ranking system that gave you experience every time you played on their server, ....
Excellent game, and it's really team dependent too. Else, if you want teamplay, LoL with people you know in RL!

DoomKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"Objective-Based FPS With Good Community"
how about arma 2? game is very good, very good community and its fun. but it has a great learning curve

besides, why dont you try Insurgency? its a free half life 2 mod, you can get it from steam.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9pwfLTaW8J8?si=FaKUzB-OBP92LnUD