Hacking [O3DS + B9S + Luma] Black home screen on boot after sleep mode, no sound

mipsasm

OP
Trophies
Website
psychosoma.tech
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hey, all! i've searched around the forum for my issue for a while and found a few slightly similar threads but all seem to be quite old and mine differs a little, so with faith in getting things up and running again if it's possible i'm posting here now (i'm new btw, happy to be here!)

so, I have a black screen upon booting my O3DS on 11.8 firmware.
this was after I've put my console into sleep mode for a little while - upon reopening I found it stuck on that little white screen that says "HOME menu" when you switch back to the home menu from an application (except it was frozen) so I did a hard reboot and found that my home menu was just black. unlike some other threads on here I've seen with a similar issue, I don't have sound on my menu - I'm able to access rosalina via my shortcut (I'm on a recent version of Luma) and I can easily reboot to access my ARM9 payloads and Luma configuration menu.

I have no EmuNAND configuration and I've never had, I've had CFW for nearing two years now on my O3DS (previously through A9LH, switched to B9S way back when). I have NAND backups available, but I want to know 1.) if I'm definitely bricked or... what this is, what causes it exactly and 2.) if there are 'better' ways to recover (hopefully someone understands that I'm hesitant to lose all of my titles, but worst comes to worst I can do it)

doing a system update in recovery mode did not help, rebooting with SD card, without SD card, without gamecart did not help, replacing boot.firm on my sd card (and rewriting luma to ctrnand) did not help. at this point I guess I'm at a loss before I do follow through with a NAND backup. are there any updates as to what I'm experiencing? thanks to all in advance.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remove the battery, press and hold the (Power) button for 30 seconds, press several more times, reinsert the battery, and then turn on the o3DS without the SD card and without a game cart.

Try booting Recovery Mode, GodMode9, Luma3DS configuration, and HOME Menu.

mipsasm

OP
Trophies
Website
psychosoma.tech
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remove the battery, press and hold the (Power) button for 30 seconds, press several more times, reinsert the battery, and then turn on the o3DS without the SD card and without a game cart.

Try booting Recovery Mode, GodMode9, Luma3DS configuration, and HOME Menu.
okay, done all that so far and I'm in recovery mode, do you recommend I try to do a system update or should I continue to try booting gm9 + luma config + home menu?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, done all that so far and I'm in recovery mode, do you recommend I try to do a system update or should I continue to try booting gm9 + luma config + home menu?
Forgo System Update in Recovery Mode. It's just a litmus test to see if your screens are okay. Continue to GM9, luma config, and then finally HOME Menu.

mipsasm

OP
Trophies
Website
psychosoma.tech
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forgo System Update in Recovery Mode. It's just a litmus test to see if your screens are okay. Continue to GM9, luma config, and then finally HOME Menu.
hey you're an angel! it all worked, thank you! I've got back to my home menu, albeit without my SD card so far, but it's definitely something! do you know the magic behind why all of this happened per chance? I guess I won't be using sleep mode again until I know it's safe ;;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey you're an angel! it all worked, thank you! I've got back to my home menu, albeit without my SD card so far, but it's definitely something! do you know the magic behind why all of this happened per chance? I guess I won't be using sleep mode again until I know it's safe ;;
My very technical explanation:
The 2DS/3DS systems are pretty derpy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you're able to boot with SD card, please backup all your saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.

And have a wonderful day.

DoItRight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this thread isn't too old to comment on, but I wanted to post a similar problem in case it could help someone in the future.

After letting my o3ds sleep for ~2 days in my pocket, I went to turn it back on and got a pair of black screens, I followed @TurdPooCharger 's instructions and the issue persisted.

I noticed I could still turn wifi on and off, so I attempted to shut it down "Normally" instead of holding power for 15 seconds to hard cycle the power. After holding the power button for ~3 seconds then releasing for ~3 seconds and repeating that process 3-4 times, I was back on my home screen.

I don't know if @TurdPooCharger 's instructions are necessary, or if in my case you could just use the power button cycle process, if it happens to me again, I will test my theory and edit this post.

emuashui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
i recalled that my 1st us old US 3ds was dead after days of sleeping, into blue screen of brick death.
Of course no solution. (Replaced that motherboard and now it reincarnates as a JP console. )
i would blamed some gw card ever used on that console polluted the nand as the main cause, then i never use gw card again. But i also think sleep mode is the trigger.

Last edited by emuashui,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Hey