Gaming Nvidia GT200,OC 6600 gt

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i found out , from a reliable source, that the GT200 chip by nvidia will probably come out sooner than RV770.
as ati's card will come out between 15-22 june, and GT 200 will probably come out in young june/late may.
if its old news than my bad.
now for my question:
i have a Nvidia 6600GT NV43, 128MB AGP X8, i want to overclock it with riva-tuner 2.08, i wont to overclock it to a stable condition.
i mean i know that my cpu is 3.ghz so 3.2ghz overclock wont ruin my PC, though i dont know sh*t in gpu's mhz and stuff.
some info/suggestions would be awesome!

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
performance gains vs ease of overclocking is usually something to go by.

Say you game in 1280*1024, your biggest possible performance gain would be 10% and you have 50 fps in your current games now, that would hardly be an improvement.

Newbie sites like anandtech.com spring to mind on the overclocking thing.

1st find out what there is to gain
smile.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
My 6800 Ultra (nv40) (originally an 6800 but I opened up the extra pipelines) is set on 433MHz x 1215 MHz (the first was originally 350, the latter being gddr3 originally set on 1000). Naturally I did install a new cooler (a VF900-CU from Zalman).

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok so what is the default clock, and to what should i overclock it just for fun, not to perform better.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
dweirdo said:
ok so what is the default clock, and to what should i overclock it just for fun, not to perform better.
Not a clue, install riva tuner and check for yourself. Then do a google how far people have been able to get your card to go up to. Then check how hot your card is as you can seriously fry the thing (mine really needed the new cooler, else it was up to around 90 degrees Celcius easy under load. Now it is at a comfy 52 degrees under load). Then it is a task of experimenting how high you can go. Every card is different so there is no "add 50MHz and you'll always be okay" advice. Even adding 5 MHz could make the card unstable. It could also be like mine where you can pull out 23% extra clock, but don't count on it (especially with the stock cooler).

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Scorpei said:
dweirdo said:
Not a clue, install riva tuner and check for yourself. Then do a google how far people have been able to get your card to go up to. Then check how hot your card is as you can seriously fry the thing (mine really needed the new cooler, else it was up to around 90 degrees Celcius easy under load. Now it is at a comfy 52 degrees under load). Then it is a task of experimenting how high you can go. Every card is different so there is no "add 50MHz and you'll always be okay" advice. Even adding 5 MHz could make the card unstable. It could also be like mine where you can pull out 23% extra clock, but don't count on it (especially with the stock cooler).
ok thanks alot
biggrin.gif
btw in riva tuner i just go to gpu settings and change the clock? cause in gpu-z it says its 500\500mhz and in riva tuner 300/1000mhzz
ohmy.gif
WTF?
how do i check gpu temperature?

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
dweirdo said:
Scorpei said:
dweirdo said:
ok thanks alot
biggrin.gif
btw in riva tuner i just go to gpu settings and change the clock? cause in gpu-z it says its 500\500mhz and in riva tuner 300/1000mhzz
ohmy.gif
WTF?
Nvida system tools or the newest GPU-Z under monitor.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Westside said:
dweirdo said:
Scorpei said:
dweirdo said:
ok thanks alot
biggrin.gif
ohmy.gif
WTF?
Nvida system tools or the newest GPU-Z under monitor.
Riva tuner should be able to show it too (I use it as monitor now, it was pretty much similar to the Asus tool that came with the card so I ditched the buggy Asus tool).

=edit=
As for your clock speed thingy, check to see if you are looking at 2D clock speeds or at 3D (performance) clockspeeds.

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
figured it out about the clock speeds, wasnt looking in the right spot as u said XDD
now about my cards temp: neither of the options is actually an option for me XD i read it just now :
"First of all, is there a sensor built into the chip set that is simply not activated by the BIOS? This is the case with the 6600GT."
EDIT:
in rivatuner it says the core temp is 0 Degrees fuc*ing lalz!

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jiggah said:
All of them come with the temp sensor. Some need to be enabled through a modified BIOS.
eeemmmmm............. which i have no clue how to do. could u explain me please?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Never played around with that either (might be an option in riva tuner that does allow it btw, not sure, seen it someplace....). To be frank I would add a better cooler if you really want to OC the card. Stock coolers generally aren't that great.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
dweirdo said:
ill just wait for September to buy a new pc with 4870X2, thank you all for your help.
I would recommend waiting it out and see how well the Geforce GT200 performce comparng to the 4870X2. I hope it does better, cuz then I would have to buy an ATI card for a Nvidia motherboard... it just does not feel right...

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thank yo all and jiggah
biggrin.gif

btw offtopic:
overclocked my cpu from 3 ghz to 3.150 and the pc fu*king crashed all the time, i had to change it back again through bios :X

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i heard about it now.
i have LARGE expectetions from both nvidia and ati, more from ATI.
though its bad time to releasing them cause it will be summer---> no workers, so i think the best time to buy them will be after summer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-