NTR Luma Firmware.bin Download Shows Virus?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Scoreless Pine, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Scoreless Pine
    OP

Scoreless Pine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2015
    United States
    So I have had NTR working before, and at some point, maybe when installing A9LH, I might have deleted the firmware.bin file from the luma folder to make NTR work, however when I go to the github wiki to download the firmware files, when I go to download the .7z from the zippyshare it sends me to, my computer tells me that there is a virus in the download. Now, I'm no idiot, but if my computer tells me it's a virus, I'm not gonna continue the download. Is there a mirror anywhere to the firmware.bin that I need to use NTR or am I just gonna have to tough it out and hope I don't get a Trojan virus?

For reference, here is the page where I got the download link for the firmware files: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade

The link should be near the top where it says "To use NTR, you need firmware.bin from this archive."

Last edited by Scoreless Pine, Aug 15, 2016
  2. Trolling

Trolling This Username is taken. Problem?

Jul 29, 2012
    Netherlands
    Behind you
    I bet you use AVG, am i right?

3. Scoreless Pine
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2015
    United States
    No, actually just the default windows virus scanning software for windows 10.

EDIT: Wow I just realized its one in the morning and I have school in 5 hours. I'm gonna have to go and I hope you guys can help me with a solution. Thanks!

Last edited by Scoreless Pine, Aug 15, 2016
  4. Thunder Hawk

Thunder Hawk Firefox Master Race

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    That's the problem. I recommend you get different antivirus such as Avast or something. I also recommend you download Malwarebytes while you're at it.

Last edited by Thunder Hawk, Aug 15, 2016 - Reason: cleaned it up
  5. Tenshi_Okami

Tenshi_Okami GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Eww, there's really no reason to have another antivirus rather than Windows Defender and Malwarebytes

Other's take a shit ton of RAM memory, CPU usage and HDD memory

If you really want another antivirus, there's always HitmanPro3

KapuDaKoopa likes this.
  6. Zanoab

Zanoab GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    Are you sure you are clicking the right download button? It is a common problem for ad infested download sites.

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    This. Or it's most likely a false positive. BIN files can't infect you anyway as there's no way to execute them. Malware doesn't just automatically execute when extracted either. Also, use BootNTR. It supports the latest firmware and makes the firmware.bin file obsolete.

8. Scoreless Pine
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2015
    United States
    I'm sure its clicking the right button because it downloads the file entirely and then windows defender tells me its bad, and I have adblock as well so I know which button is the right one.

I believe it is a false positive. What do you mean? I thought that BootNTR was the only way to start up NTR CFW, and I thought that needed the firmware.bin file in luma. Is there a different way that I don't know about or something? Also the reason I'm trying to download this file in the first place is because when I try to load NTR through BootNTR, it tells me something about an invalid home menu version or something like that which I'm assuming will be fixed by adding the file to the luma folder.

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The latest BootNTR supports 11.0 FIRM so you should not need the firmware.bin file, if it says the home menu version is unsupported that means your BootNTR is outdated and using the firmware.bin won't fix it because firmware.bin is not related to the home menu.
    That's not always true, there could be an exploit in the compression software you're using, or if it's a self-extracting SFX archive it could be infected, in this case it's most likely a false positive though.

10. Scoreless Pine
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2015
    United States
    I could have sworn I've updated to the latest version recently. I'll try again and see if it makes a difference.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Nope, I've now updated Luma3ds, BootNTR, and tried to see if there was a 3ds firmware update (there wasn't) and tried it again and it still does not work.

11. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I was thinking of mentioning that about SFX archives but decided against it. And if you're referring to something like what happened to WinRAR 4.2 then that only works by double clicking the file while it's still in the archive, and even then, the extension of the file is technically spoofed.

12. SirBeethoven

SirBeethoven 3.145.... something. E=mc2

Nov 26, 2015
    United States
    Hmm... I just believe that zippy share is not SUPER trustworthy... The archive is probably not infected, but you should use google chrome and Ad Block (the original safe one) to make sure zippy share doesn't do anything bad to you