Hacking NTR Luma Firmware.bin Download Shows Virus?

Scoreless Pine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have had NTR working before, and at some point, maybe when installing A9LH, I might have deleted the firmware.bin file from the luma folder to make NTR work, however when I go to the github wiki to download the firmware files, when I go to download the .7z from the zippyshare it sends me to, my computer tells me that there is a virus in the download. Now, I'm no idiot, but if my computer tells me it's a virus, I'm not gonna continue the download. Is there a mirror anywhere to the firmware.bin that I need to use NTR or am I just gonna have to tough it out and hope I don't get a Trojan virus?

For reference, here is the page where I got the download link for the firmware files: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade

The link should be near the top where it says "To use NTR, you need firmware.bin from this archive."

Last edited by Scoreless Pine,

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, actually just the default windows virus scanning software for windows 10.

EDIT: Wow I just realized its one in the morning and I have school in 5 hours. I'm gonna have to go and I hope you guys can help me with a solution. Thanks!
That's the problem. I recommend you get different antivirus such as Avast or something. I also recommend you download Malwarebytes while you're at it.

Last edited by Thunder Hawk, , Reason: cleaned it up

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
That's the problem. Get a real antivirus such as Avast or something. Also download Malwarebytes while you're at it.
Eww, there's really no reason to have another antivirus rather than Windows Defender and Malwarebytes

Other's take a shit ton of RAM memory, CPU usage and HDD memory

If you really want another antivirus, there's always HitmanPro3

Reactions: KapuDaKoopa

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure you are clicking the right download button? It is a common problem for ad infested download sites.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure you are clicking the right download button? It is a common problem for ad infested download sites.
This. Or it's most likely a false positive. BIN files can't infect you anyway as there's no way to execute them. Malware doesn't just automatically execute when extracted either. Also, use BootNTR. It supports the latest firmware and makes the firmware.bin file obsolete.

Scoreless Pine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure its clicking the right button because it downloads the file entirely and then windows defender tells me its bad, and I have adblock as well so I know which button is the right one.

This. Or it's most likely a false positive. BIN files can't infect you anyway as there's no way to execute them. Malware doesn't just automatically execute when extracted either. Also, use BootNTR. It supports the latest firmware and makes the firmware.bin file obsolete.
I believe it is a false positive. What do you mean? I thought that BootNTR was the only way to start up NTR CFW, and I thought that needed the firmware.bin file in luma. Is there a different way that I don't know about or something? Also the reason I'm trying to download this file in the first place is because when I try to load NTR through BootNTR, it tells me something about an invalid home menu version or something like that which I'm assuming will be fixed by adding the file to the luma folder.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm sure its clicking the right button because it downloads the file entirely and then windows defender tells me its bad, and I have adblock as well so I know which button is the right one.

I believe it is a false positive. What do you mean? I thought that BootNTR was the only way to start up NTR CFW, and I thought that needed the firmware.bin file in luma. Is there a different way that I don't know about or something? Also the reason I'm trying to download this file in the first place is because when I try to load NTR through BootNTR, it tells me something about an invalid home menu version or something like that which I'm assuming will be fixed by adding the file to the luma folder.
The latest BootNTR supports 11.0 FIRM so you should not need the firmware.bin file, if it says the home menu version is unsupported that means your BootNTR is outdated and using the firmware.bin won't fix it because firmware.bin is not related to the home menu.
That's not always true, there could be an exploit in the compression software you're using, or if it's a self-extracting SFX archive it could be infected, in this case it's most likely a false positive though.

Scoreless Pine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest BootNTR supports 11.0 FIRM so you should not need the firmware.bin file, if it says the home menu version is unsupported that means your BootNTR is outdated and using the firmware.bin won't fix it because firmware.bin is not related to the home menu.
I could have sworn I've updated to the latest version recently. I'll try again and see if it makes a difference.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nope, I've now updated Luma3ds, BootNTR, and tried to see if there was a 3ds firmware update (there wasn't) and tried it again and it still does not work.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
That's not always true, there could be an exploit in the compression software you're using, or if it's a self-extracting SFX archive it could be infected, in this case it's most likely a false positive though.
Yeah, I was thinking of mentioning that about SFX archives but decided against it. And if you're referring to something like what happened to WinRAR 4.2 then that only works by double clicking the file while it's still in the archive, and even then, the extension of the file is technically spoofed.

D

Deleted User

Hmm... I just believe that zippy share is not SUPER trustworthy... The archive is probably not infected, but you should use google chrome and Ad Block (the original safe one) to make sure zippy share doesn't do anything bad to you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end