CaseyOmah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.caseyomah.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry guys, I've been busy yet again, I've been in college classes, I should (I hope) be able to get the update done a little way into the Summer. Did I see another patch/release since 1.06? if so, which are you guys using at this point?

EDIT: In that vein, I'm studying Java and wonder whether I should spend the time to lookup how to write a full GUI for the patcher, or just continue to update the batch.

EDIT2: I have been reading back on the history of this thread and noticed a few spin-off projects, it shouldn't be hard to integrate them (if they ever worked right) into this patcher, any interest?

Reactions: MassiveRican

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CaseyOmah said:
If you're still around, I'm starting work on the save banner feature of NSMBW ISO Patcher v1.07 and would like to discuss with you about implementation.

I am still around indeed, though it's been a while since I messed about with this- if you'd like to see all the changed code bits- just do a Ctrl+F for "CheatFreak47!" in the "Build ISO Patched.bat" Included in my download for NSMB 1.03 mod.

messages.arc swaps fix various issues present in the games that wrote to the save files oddly or something and the save_banner.arc swaps contain modified icons for the saves. Each of the different regions for ISOs require their own changes for the save_banners- and the locations in the ISO for messages changed seems to vary depending on the region and mod- I can't remember what exactly that's dependent on.

The implementation from 2shirt seems to be all "If A then B else C" stuff, so it's not too complicated.

CaseyOmah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.caseyomah.com
XP
Country
United States
The real question I had was if the messages and save banners should be independent or dependent (each their own toggle, or all-or-nothing) and if there is any reason not to combine the two folders (MessagePatches,SaveBanners) for release. I know how to put them in, it's the optional part that's the issue.

I am still around indeed, though it's been a while since I messed about with this- if you'd like to see all the changed code bits- just do a Ctrl+F for "CheatFreak47!" in the "Build ISO Patched.bat" Included in my download for NSMB 1.03 mod.

messages.arc swaps fix various issues present in the games that wrote to the save files oddly or something and the save_banner.arc swaps contain modified icons for the saves. Each of the different regions for ISOs require their own changes for the save_banners- and the locations in the ISO for messages changed seems to vary depending on the region and mod- I can't remember what exactly that's dependent on.

The implementation from 2shirt seems to be all "If A then B else C" stuff, so it's not too complicated.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real question I had was if the messages and save banners should be independent or dependent (each their own toggle, or all-or-nothing) and if there is any reason not to combine the two folders (MessagePatches,SaveBanners) for release. I know how to put them in, it's the optional part that's the issue.

Personally I'd say the message patches should be there no matter what- because the default ones do weird things like stick strings into the save file that are too long.
Message patches change the title of the save and the flavor text for the save on the Wii Save menu- at least they do if I recall correctly- I can't really remember- it's been a while- the banners themselves are just the icons I think.

CaseyOmah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.caseyomah.com
XP
Country
United States
So, you're saying that the MessagePatches apply the text of the save and SaveBanners apply the graphical portions. So they should be all-or-nothing because shared you may not want to update either. If you made a Messages with Internal text patched but save reverted to NSMBW I would make it the default (non-save banner) implementation. (Not a request per se, just a comment)

EDIT: Or is Messages.arc ONLY for savebanner text?

UPDATE: For those interested, I have also begun work on the Riivolution XML converter which will be a separate utility as previously stated.

Reactions: tmv_josue

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you're saying that the MessagePatches apply the text of the save and SaveBanners apply the graphical portions. So they should be all-or-nothing because shared you may not want to update either. If you made a Messages with Internal text patched but save reverted to NSMBW I would make it the default (non-save banner) implementation. (Not a request per se, just a comment)

EDIT: Or is Messages.arc ONLY for savebanner text?

UPDATE: For those interested, I have also begun work on the Riivolution XML converter which will be a separate utility as previously stated.

Presumably- yeah- there was also some minor issues with text I think I mentioned that I corrected to fit the wii system management.
Basically, yes they should go together or not at all- in fact- if you ask me- the games absolutely must have their own save files no matter what to prevent conflicting save files with the original game. But for all intended purposes- yes- the text and image should always go together.

Any new progress on the thing?

CaseyOmah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.caseyomah.com
XP
Country
United States
Presumably- yeah- there was also some minor issues with text I think I mentioned that I corrected to fit the wii system management.
Basically, yes they should go together or not at all- in fact- if you ask me- the games absolutely must have their own save files no matter what to prevent conflicting save files with the original game. But for all intended purposes- yes- the text and image should always go together.

Any new progress on the thing?
Honestly, I have a feeling that batch is too weak for XML parsing, and having trouble getting started on messages.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I still look into this thread every so often since interest is still piqued for me but u 2 guys working together sounds exciting. I also like the idea of the spin-offs projects getting integrated. I know u ran into a bit of a bump in development but keep us posted if anything.

CaseyOmah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.caseyomah.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm still alive, just haven't had time to work on the project. I'll see if I still have the message pack on my computer and whip up a update to include it sometime relatively soon. If anyone has a link to the pack I wouldn't mind getting a fresh copy.

ochentay4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi everyone, which one is the latest version? I downloaded some time ago 1.06 and now I go to 1st post and see 1.04, Im lost. Im trying to get on my hands latest version so I can integrate all custom versions to play on my beloved Wii.

gburgue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi everyone, which one is the latest version? I downloaded some time ago 1.06 and now I go to 1st post and see 1.04, Im lost. Im trying to get on my hands latest version so I can integrate all custom versions to play on my beloved Wii.
AFAIK v1.06

CaseyOmah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.caseyomah.com
XP
Country
United States
I am not the OP (original poster) but I am the most recent updater. At this point 1.06 from the permalinks found here are the newest. I soon plan to release a 1.07 adding the messages patches and more plugins. V1.06 will offer to autoupdate to 1.07 when I have finished it.

P.S. If anyone has created their own PLG files, feel free to pm them to me for review and inclusion.

P.P.S. I'm starting to have hope for the Riivolution parser, but I'm not sure how clean I can make it. The syntax is really quite robust.

Last edited by CaseyOmah,
Reactions: ochentay4

ochentay4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I am not the OP (original poster) but I am the most recent updater. At this point 1.06 from the permalinks found here are the newest. I soon plan to release a 1.07 adding the messages patches and more plugins. V1.06 will offer to autoupdate to 1.07 when I have finished it.

P.S. If anyone has created their own PLG files, feel free to pm them to me for review and inclusion.

P.P.S. I'm starting to have hope for the Riivolution parser, but I'm not sure how clean I can make it. The syntax is really quite robust.
Fantastic, thanks!

CaseyOmah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.caseyomah.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm still not really in the mood, but beginning work on v1.07. I've been working on versitility throughout this project, as such I feel banners should be a seperate main menu item, the question I pose to my faithful followers is should I just add it as option 7 (when present) or should it be 5 or 6 moving down the existing entries?

ochentay4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm still not really in the mood, but beginning work on v1.07. I've been working on versitility throughout this project, as such I feel banners should be a seperate main menu item, the question I pose to my faithful followers is should I just add it as option 7 (when present) or should it be 5 or 6 moving down the existing entries?
Add as option 7, as I find myself pressing buttons fast by memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny