Homebrew Not64 Update

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. If the modern pc port would be available for the Wii U... it would be so great!! I don't have such a "great" pc.
Will try multiplayer later this week 😎
Post automatically merged:

Thank you for your answer! Will check this out (on youtube I think). Although I think the gamecube controllers are not much of use for me, as I am playing on a Wii U. I do own the mayflash adapters, so this might do the trick, will need to think things over I guess. I am not familair with cutting cables, so will need to do some homework first..
Don't do it if you're not on Wii hardware, it definitely won't work over an adapter. This is something only for Wiis with Gamecube ports.

Reactions: L0w

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't do it if you're not on Wii hardware, it definitely won't work over an adapter. This is something only for Wiis with Gamecube ports.

Thank you for the warning, this saves me a lot of time! If NOT64 could only support usb on the Wii u, it would make things much easier. I think I'll give up for now and will keep on following any new developments on the emulator(s). Thanks again for responding, really appreciate that!

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Google: "Perfect Dark - High Performance (PDHP) N64"

It runs at a steady frame rate in both Not64 and Wii64 Rice.
Tested it on Not64, and it's awesome. Runs very well.

BUT there's an emulation gamebreaking bug: when using the CamSpy, the screen is black (only the CamSpy green hud is displayed).
So basically, it's not possible to pass the 2nd level.
Turning on FB textures changes nothing. :(

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

BUT there's an emulation gamebreaking bug: when using the CamSpy, the screen is black (only the CamSpy green hud is displayed).
That visual bug has been present since the early days of NOT64... even before NOT64 wasn't called like that.

I was there 🤤

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country

Wii64/Not64 don't emulate framebuffer effects yet, someone would have to recompile the game or make a patch to remove the camspy's FB effects, and potentially others like the "dizzyness" effect which IIRC is also broken on emulators that don't have framebuffer effect emulation

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Didn't look at multiplayer. If you want to do multiplayer, it'd be better to use the modern PC port.
Tried multiplayer in Wii64 Rice, Complex with explosives, 4 players and 8 (!!) sims (with Wii U overclock). There were no hick ups or what so ever, all looked very good. I had to mess with the controls a little, as it seems there was a difference there, but I am very happy with this rom.
Didn't try single player yet, multiplayer in NOT64 gives a lot of glitches, not worth playing for me.

Is there a chance that this rom can be used as a base for Goldeneye X as well? That game is very good, but still has some hick ups, so this rom could possibly do a better job...

Reactions: HandsomeJack

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried multiplayer in Wii64 Rice, Complex with explosives, 4 players and 8 (!!) sims (with Wii U overclock). There were no hick ups or what so ever, all looked very good. I had to mess with the controls a little, as it seems there was a difference there, but I am very happy with this rom.
Didn't try single player yet, multiplayer in NOT64 gives a lot of glitches, not worth playing for me.

Is there a chance that this rom can be used as a base for Goldeneye X as well? That game is very good, but still has some hick ups, so this rom could possibly do a better job...
I think the ROM hacking tools would need to be updated.
Post automatically merged:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/quake-2...-in-both-not64-and-wii64.645535/post-10325685

There are a lot of forked builds of Wii64 at the moment. I noticed this one correctly handled the Doom 64 XE 1.1 map, whilst Not64 doesn't.

https://github.com/Immorpher/doom64xe/releases/tag/1.1

Last edited by HandsomeJack,
Reactions: SaulFabre

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country

there's no reason perfect dark mods shouldn't work with the improved performance mod, although you'd have to apply both to see if they're compatible with each other.

Reactions: SaulFabre and L0w

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
OK, tested Perfect Dark High Performance.

Clock Divider: 1 ; FB textures ON ; Solo mode

- Wii 64 1.3 Saulfabre test build with FIX94 FB hacks (Jan 4, 2024)

Aaaannd the CamSpy.... doesn't work.
At the difference of Rice and Not 64, the eyefish is drawn as a plain black circle :yay: (whereas it's a full black screen in the two others). The Night Vision works though. The IR scanner works too, but it doesn't show the hidden things... lol
Performance-wise, there's some framerate hiccups, sound has many crackles, and the SFX are garbled (guns and voices).
The game crashed (DSI error) during a Fire Range session.

- Wii 64 Rice (Saulfabre build - Nov 2, 2023)
Better performance, slight hiccups, but nothing bad. FB textures ON does nothing.

- Not 64 (release 20231102)
Performance is top notch. FB textures ON does nothing. When using a GC controller, the possibility to bind buttons to R-Mid and L-Mid is very convenient. No need to fully press the triggers to shoot or aim (not possible on Rice).

So, let's hope someday someone finally tackles the FB emulation on Not 64. ^^
Or someone makes a Wii Port of PD PC (is it even possible ?)
Or just install Perfect Dark PC (which runs PERFECTly), my old generic PS3 controller is even detected.

Also tested Doom 64-XE.
Textured map is displayed in Wii64 1.3 FB (not the wireframe one though), but in-game performance is awful compared to Not64 (on which it runs very well, except the map is not displayed).
Well, no map adds some additional spice to an already hard game. ^^

Last edited by Ouaz,

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK, tested Perfect Dark High Performance.

Clock Divider: 1 ; FB textures ON ; Solo mode

- Wii 64 1.3 Saulfabre test build with FIX94 FB hacks (Jan 4, 2024)

Aaaannd the CamSpy.... doesn't work.
At the difference of Rice and Not 64, the eyefish is drawn as a plain black circle :yay: (whereas it's a full black screen in the two others). The Night Vision works though. The IR scanner works too, but it doesn't show the hidden things... lol
Performance-wise, there's some framerate hiccups, sound has many crackles, and the SFX are garbled (guns and voices).
The game crashed (DSI error) during a Fire Range session.

- Wii 64 Rice (Saulfabre build - Nov 2, 2023)
Better performance, slight hiccups, but nothing bad. FB textures ON does nothing.

- Not 64 (release 20231102)
Performance is top notch. FB textures ON does nothing. When using a GC controller, the possibility to bind buttons to R-Mid and L-Mid is very convenient. No need to fully press the triggers to shoot or aim (not possible on Rice).

So, let's hope someday someone finally tackles the FB emulation on Not 64. ^^
Or someone makes a Wii Port of PD PC (is it even possible ?)
Or just install Perfect Dark PC (which runs PERFECTly), my old generic PS3 controller is even detected.

Also tested Doom 64-XE.
Textured map is displayed in Wii64 1.3 FB (not the wireframe one though), but in-game performance is awful compared to Not64 (on which it runs very well, except the map is not displayed).
Well, no map adds some additional spice to an already hard game. ^^
Thanks for looking at this!

In Doom 64 XE there's an option to turn off filtering. It turns the game into a pixel art game (like the original PC game). Doing this seems to improve performance a little.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed something while playing the "Peach's Fury" hack on Not64.

No AA, or is it bi-linear filtering? Why is that? How can it be disabled on this hack, but when I use u64aap to disable the AA filter for other games nothing is any different?

I would like to be able to disable the AA and/or bi-linear filter, and use three-point filtering but there is no option for it.

(As a side note, not for the hack mentioned, but some hacks of SM64 have stopped working on newer Not64 versions. For those ROM hacks, use the 2019-04-10 version)

Last edited by _47iscool,

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^^

I believe the creator of Peach’s Fury made it so it doesn’t have AA. It’s one of the big techniques he uses to increase performance so his hacks can run at full speed on N64 consoles. At least that’s what I remember him saying on his YouTube channel (Kaze Emanuar).

Reactions: _47iscool

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I noticed something while playing the "Peach's Fury" hack on Not64.

No AA, or is it bi-linear filtering? Why is that? How can it be disabled on this hack, but when I use u64aap to disable the AA filter for other games nothing is any different?

I would like to be able to disable the AA and/or bi-linear filter, and use three-point filtering but there is no option for it.

(As a side note, not for the hack mentioned, but some hacks of SM64 have stopped working on newer Not64 versions. For those ROM hacks, use the 2019-04-10 version)

Not64/Wii64 and even the virtual console emulator don't emulate the N64's anti aliasing features nor even the bilinear filtering features, it's passing along rendering instructions to the GPU of the Wii and rendering things that way, it's the primary reason why compatibility is low and inaccurate.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not64/Wii64 and even the virtual console emulator don't emulate the N64's anti aliasing features nor even the bilinear filtering features, it's passing along rendering instructions to the GPU of the Wii and rendering things that way, it's the primary reason why compatibility is low and inaccurate.

If you play the aforementioned hack, you will see what I mean. It looks like 3-point filtering.

I wish there was a generic N64 ROM patcher for such a thing. And if it isn't using bi-linear filtering, what is it using? Because 3-point filtering looks like a 'raw' or 'nearest' filter. In other words, it looks like rendering without any filtering at all.
/
@Kirby6417 Interesting. And yes, I know of Kaze. Currently, probably the best N64 ROM hacker. The Missing Link is ROM hack is good. I just wish it wouldn't freeze on Not64.

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you play the aforementioned hack, you will see what I mean. It looks like 3-point filtering.

I wish there was a generic N64 ROM patcher for such a thing. And if it isn't using bi-linear filtering, what is it using? Because 3-point filtering looks like a 'raw' or 'nearest' filter. In other words, it looks like rendering without any filtering at all.
/
@Kirby6417 Interesting. And yes, I know of Kaze. Currently, probably the best N64 ROM hacker. The Missing Link is ROM hack is good. I just wish it wouldn't freeze on Not64.
https://github.com/Immorpher/DOOM64XE

This has an internal feature which allows you to turn off filtering, turning Doom 64 into a pixel art game. You can then turn on 2xSai to see that in action, in terms of what it does to textures.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country

/

Do you have a link to this hack so I can see for myself? Either way it's not 3-point filtering. I believe extrems has talked about this in the past as to the difficulty in emulating accurate N64 bilinear filtering due to the way the rendering pipeline on the Wii works in regards to what you can do with how the final image is filtered. If even Nintendo's emulator which does many other effects like framebuffer effects doesn't accurately emulate the texture filtering, I'd say it's either hard or impossible with the Wii's hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?