Homebrew Not64 Update

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
https://archive.org/details/portal-64

Worth testing if Portal 64 works.

portal v0.12.0.z64 is the most recent version.

Apparently it works just fine on Deadelus which is a comparatively primitive emulator, chances are good it works on Not64.

On a similar but unrelated note I tried the Perfect Dark High Performance mod and counter factor 1 and it runs perfectly! Unfortunately I don't know where the development is happening but here's the patch I used:

https://web.archive.org/web/2023100...2538/Perfect_Dark_-_High_Performance_PDHP.bps

I highly recommend trying it out!

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Apparently it works just fine on Deadelus which is a comparatively primitive emulator, chances are good it works on Not64.

On a similar but unrelated note I tried the Perfect Dark High Performance mod and counter factor 1 and it runs perfectly! Unfortunately I don't know where the development is happening but here's the patch I used:

https://web.archive.org/web/2023100...2538/Perfect_Dark_-_High_Performance_PDHP.bps

I highly recommend trying it out!
You could try it too with older versions of Wii64, which i've recompiled for include the controller and header fixes from Not64:

Mupen64GC-FIX94 (based on Wii64 1.1) - saulfabreg MOD: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/Mupen64GC-FIX94/releases/tag/r2-sfgMOD1.1
Wii64 1.2 (glN64 & Rice) FIX94 - saulfabreg MOD: https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/Wii64/releases/tag/wii64-fix94-1.2-sfgMOD1.1

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could somebody give a quick refresher on the state of N64 emulators?

I’ve been using Not64 and Wii64 for a while. Between the 2, compatibility is pretty good. I use Not64 for any Glide game since I have better results than with Wii64, and I use Wii64 for any Rice game because Not64 doesn’t work with Rice.

The Rice plugin is a .ini file that goes on the SD card and isn’t directly compiled into the emulator .dol. Sometimes it gets improved and updated, in which case I can replace the ini with the newer better one, and that is how the Rice plugin is improved.

But the latest Not64 update mentions Rice; so it actually can use Rice?

Somebody let me know if I’m understanding this correctly.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Could somebody give a quick refresher on the state of N64 emulators?

I’ve been using Not64 and Wii64 for a while. Between the 2, compatibility is pretty good. I use Not64 for any Glide game since I have better results than with Wii64, and I use Wii64 for any Rice game because Not64 doesn’t work with Rice.

The Rice plugin is a .ini file that goes on the SD card and isn’t directly compiled into the emulator .dol. Sometimes it gets improved and updated, in which case I can replace the ini with the newer better one, and that is how the Rice plugin is improved.

no you cant use rice, its just a devkit name, i dont know if extrems will do a rice version in the future but i doubt it.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador

No, Not64 still uses glN64 as graphics plugin.

Not64 when tells about "Rice" is because Not64 is being compiled using a private toolchain made by Extrems called "devkitRice", a custom devkitPPC with changes from him.
I'm pretty sure the custom libOGC by Extrems for devkitRice, called "libogc-rice", also is called by Extrems for refer to custom huge changes from original libOGC, but only works on devkitRice.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
What exactly does the "N64 pad" option do in Not64? In the controller settings you can choose to manually assign controllers and besides the Wii controller and the Gamecube controller you can also set it to N64 pad. What is this feature for? Can you actually use a real N64 controller? The joybus on the N64 and Gamecube/Wii are both very similar and there's a gamecube diagnostic disc that actually detects N64 controllers too, it's the reason I ask.

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Does this mean things like the VMU and the densha controller also work on Not64?
He said any accessory which was made for the Nintendo 64 itself.

VMU is a memory card with screen for Sega Dreamcast
And i'm not sure if the Densha controller works there.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Apologies, I meant the VRU, the microphone used on hey you pikachu.
lol of course not... because the microphone is not emulated... he just said it will read nintendo 64 controller inputs if you have an adapter that is passive. microphone is not an n64 controller but an accessory you insert into n64 controller that needs to be emulated and coded in.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few questions, out of sheer curiosity not overly important, but interesting to me.

In the notes on the latest release of wii64 EmuKidid says
"GlideN64 plugin improvements/bugfixes"
But it's stated everywhere that it uses glN64.. is this a mistype or..? I understand that the GLideN64 is based off glN64 is it that there is code from GLideN64 being used on top of the glN64 source?

What prevents Wii64 from being compiled with both RiceGFX and glN64 and having a setting to switch between the two? Are the two builds significantly different as a result of the two different plugins?

Is Wii64 likely to continue being developed with both plugins or is it likely that glN64 will be dropped and the project focus on it's RiceGFX implementation? Since, Not64 runs glN64 and is apparently more stable 'due to more testing' according to emukidid (again on the wii64 release page)

Are Wii64 and Not64 different enough in the source code to consider each a completely different emulator? I ask this because the compatibility lists are littered with a mix of both as if Wii64 and Not64 are interchangeable terms for the same thing. If they can't be merged they must be very different.

What pro's does Wii64 have over Not 64 besides the RiceGFX plugin build?

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What prevents Wii64 from being compiled with both RiceGFX and glN64 and having a setting to switch between the two? Are the two builds significantly different as a result of the two different plugins?
My guess is that minimizing the size of the compiled program is relevant - and maybe even necessary here. A major Wii bottleneck is memory. The leading Wii N64 emulators already make use of pagefiles because loading larger games + the emulator overrun the Wii's memory.

Is Wii64 likely to continue being developed with both plugins or is it likely that glN64 will be dropped and the project focus on it's RiceGFX implementation? Since, Not64 runs glN64 and is apparently more stable 'due to more testing' according to emukidid (again on the wii64 release page)
Wii64 had a long period of time without updates, which is partly why Not64 became prominent. The Wii64 update a couple years ago was a very pleasant surprise.

Are Wii64 and Not64 different enough in the source code to consider each a completely different emulator? I ask this because the compatibility lists are littered with a mix of both as if Wii64 and Not64 are interchangeable terms for the same thing. If they can't be merged they must be very different.

What pro's does Wii64 have over Not 64 besides the RiceGFX plugin build?
They forked apart a long time ago. "completely" different would be overselling it though. Wii64 (glN64) and Not64 have similar compatibility/features , but Not64 has received more development attention. In my setup I use a combination of Not64 and Wii64 (rice only).

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My guess is that minimizing the size of the compiled program is relevant - and maybe even necessary here. A major Wii bottleneck is memory. The leading Wii N64 emulators already make use of pagefiles because loading larger games + the emulator overrun the Wii's memory.
I've seen that with some emulators on the Wii (and many on other less powerful systems) one way to combat the system limitations is to opt for a more simplistic GUI (at least that's what I've read), I wonder how feasible a build would be that integrates both graphics plugins as a switchable setting would be, by reducing the GUI, if you are correct in suggesting it to be a memory problem. Of course, when I say system limitations it wasn't made clear in what I had read, whether it as referring to CPU power GPU power or memory. Suffice to say, if it was possible, I would certainly take a simplified GUI to improve the likelihood of switchable video plugins. Of course, it probably isn't as simple as this. Since you mention page files though, I wonder if a reduced GUI would help to reduce the reliance on page files though and make rom loading faster, I imagine that would be a more likely improvement that would become possible as a result of slashing the GUI.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've seen that with some emulators on the Wii (and many on other less powerful systems) one way to combat the system limitations is to opt for a more simplistic GUI (at least that's what I've read), I wonder how feasible a build would be that integrates both graphics plugins as a switchable setting would be, by reducing the GUI, if you are correct in suggesting it to be a memory problem. Of course, when I say system limitations it wasn't made clear in what I had read, whether it as referring to CPU power GPU power or memory. Suffice to say, if it was possible, I would certainly take a simplified GUI to improve the likelihood of switchable video plugins. Of course, it probably isn't as simple as this. Since you mention page files though, I wonder if a reduced GUI would help to reduce the reliance on page files though and make rom loading faster, I imagine that would be a more likely improvement that would become possible as a result of slashing the GUI.
gui has little effect, the problem is there isnt enough ram to even load the code plus roms, when games are running the gui isnt taking any space you cant even fit a 32mb rom into ram let alone a 64mb like conker in there...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo