Noob question, problem installing/using any USB loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by cxerophim, Feb 22, 2015.

1. cxerophim
    OP

cxerophim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    Hello everyone,
    I'm fairly new to messing around with the internals of the Wii, but I have hacked other systems before no problem and I've been doing fine up until this point. Some specifics before I get into the problem so any possible conflicts are identified up front. I have a Black Wii that came with 4.3U firmware, used LetterBomb to softmod, installed the homebrew channel and later on BootMii and Priiloader for safety measures. I have successfully installed numerous homebrew games and emulators for all the antique Nintendo systems and all of that works just fine, but I hadn't done any work with IOS's until tonight.

I've been extensively reading over the tutorials on http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader and thought I could do it no problem, but I think I'm missing something crucial. So, since I did this all rather backwards, it's important to understand, I think, that I already had the loaders installed before I attempted to patch the IOS's. Also, if it matters, I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 16GB SDHC card, but the target application USB Loader GX says it is capable of reading from those devices. Anyway, so I installed IOS236 first, then I used Hermes' IOS 222/223 (because that was part of a different tutorial, but it said that you could have both no problem) then I installed d2x 3.1 in both places where instructed in the guide.

At every point after installing a new IOS I tested to see if the loader was working, and it always comes back with "USB device not found, switching to list mode" or something similar. I would really like to make USBLGX work since it has the best feature set of all the other loaders I've read up on. I also have WiiFlow installed on my HBC but can't get it to see any files on the SD either. So my question is this: is it just the SD card I'm using? And if so, then why does my other homebrew work and not the loader? Or am I missing another crucial IOS that bypasses something or allows the SD to be read? (For the record, in the readme for USBLGX it does state that "To use the channel version of the loader or the forwarder channel it is required that you install IOS58 on your Wii. You can use Tantric's safe IOS58 Installer for that."

However, when I went to download the IOS58 installer, it said "IOS58 is required for USB 2.0 support in homebrew applications and is the default IOS used by HBC 1.0.8+. It is included in System Menu 4.3, but those who do not wish to update to 4.3 can just run this installer to get the benefits of IOS58" but I already have 4.3 so I should not need this.

My ultimate goal is to have all my virtual console games on my SD card and access them through the Loader, but I've been hitting roadblocks on this all night long. Any information to help me get this resolved would be greatly appreciated. I can also upload pictures for clarification if need be (in case anyone needs to see exactly which IOS's I have installed and in which slot or whatever, I'm pretty sure d2x has a mapper that lets you see that).

2. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    Have you tried using ModMii?

https://code.google.com/p/modmii/

not sure if usb loaders will read from SD, so that sounds like the problem. I run everything from usb with no problems. Formatted drive to FAT32 and never looked back.....

Reecey likes this.
  3. cxerophim
    OP

cxerophim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    No I haven't, I've heard about people using ModMii or DopMii to do some advanced IOS tasks, but wasn't really sure what they were for. I actually just downloaded ModMii before reading this, so how does it work? Obviously it generates a log file showing you what IOS's are installed and the Trucha Bugs but does it automatically fix those files for you or do you have to find the new ones online because as I said, I've been following the tutorial and even on the source code pages I've gotten all the most recent stable versions.

4. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States

Modmii is a windows program and it will ask you questions of your current setup, and DL all necessary files for you. Its pretty much a once and done program.

5. cxerophim
    OP

cxerophim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    Ok, so I installed the ModMii software and followed the instructions to download the files and get the guide but before I followed through with that I tried something else. I copied everything on the SD card over to an equal capacity USB flash drive (16gb) and then copied over the d2x v10beta and installed base 56 in slot 249 and base 57 in 250. I'm not sure if it was the newer cIOS that did it or the USB addition but GX Loader works now, I dumped the NAND to emu and got duplicates of everything. I carefully followed in settings to delete the copies that were only on emunand and kept the ones I wanted on the actual nand (I don't want everything viewable from the home screen, just the wiiware on the loader) but now I get a picture over my disc channel saying Wii System Update but I double-checked the Wii settings and I'm still on 4.3U, so I'm guessing that has to be from an ios; the question is, which one do I need to redo to get my disc channel back to normal? (side-note: disc loads fine from USB Loader).

Also, second question, where exactly is the emu-nand stored when using USB Loader GX? Is it on the SD card or the USB?

6. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    Emunand that USB Loader GX creates is in the root of the SD card I would suggest the following:
    for emunand with usb loader GX on an SD card you will need this https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/sfsd-nand-dumper
    run that homebrew with the full option it will dump all of your nand folders to the root of your SD card then move the folders to a folder called nand.
    I find this homebrew works better then the usb loader GX dumping code.

for the usbloader GX side of things you can go to settings page 2 custom paths and change the emunand path. If you want save game emulation for your Wii Games go to settings> Loader Settings> Emunand: Full.

for the issue with the disc channel did you downgrade or change any IOS besides 12,14,35,36?

7. Knightjim

Knightjim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    I use Configurable USB Loader with only a SD card. I only have access to a small SD card and it works fine.

8. cxerophim
    OP

cxerophim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    Yes, I tried to install a homebrew called Rawk because I wanted to rip my Guitar Hero discs so I could have all the songs under one game which I understand is difficult to do these days since the Guitar Hero servers are no longer active. The Rawk game, when booting, says that it needs a downgraded version of ios37 which it then attempts to download but fails. After that was when I first started trying to do the ios's but as I said, I was unknowingly following old tutorials and using more archaic methods I guess. So here's the breakdown:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I still have no idea which ios's go to what after reading the guide on understanding them, I get that they all relate to different aspects of the system (for instance, why the Rawk game wanted a different ios37 is because that's the one that works with instrument peripherals) but that's about all I know and it's hard for me to keep track of which ones are supposed to be loaded in which slot, so if anyone can explain that to me in better detail that would be great. Also, thanks for the advice on the GX Loader settings, although I don't seem to have a problem loading into my saves with the Wiiware games from the Loader although I haven't tested it yet on an actual disc game, but I'll post back when I do. Thanks for all the support everyone!

Also, Knightjim how is CFG working out for you? It was one of my top 3 choices when I picked a loader, but the comparison chart said it's last release was almost 3 years ago and WiiFlow and GX seemed to be able to support a much broader array of functions, so that's what I went with.

9. Knightjim

Knightjim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Right now I only been using it for Wii back ups but its been working great in my opinion. I am new to the whole Homebrew/back up scene. I plan to trying out and possibly swicthing to a different loader once I get a USB HDD.

10. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    I'll post my system report from pimp my wii so you can get a good view on what IOS are supposed to be changed. I don't know anything about RAWK. You downloaded the songs when the server was up, did the songs get saved to the SD card? if you remove the SD card are the songs still there when playing the game if so it downloaded the songs to the nand and there is a way to create .wad files out of the songs

11. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    here's how my (c)IOS' are setup
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

12. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    Now that I compare the 2 setups you don't have the Trucha Bug anymore use MultiModManager http://www.mediafire.com/download/wf352yjprztf9kj/mmm.zip to bring it back use the install & patch IOS 36 option use normal mode, as express mode requires the ios files from NUSD to be on the root of the SD card so just chose normal mode.
    Here's the download link to pimp my wii http://www.wii-info.fr/download-450-pimp-my-wii-hackez-la-wii-facilement.htm
    If you don't feel like signing up for the website just to download the homebrew let me know i'll upload my copy of v3.0.2 to mediafire

13. cxerophim
    OP

cxerophim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    No, I never got the chance to play Guitar Hero before the servers went down, and I'm not really that interested in the DLC anyway; RAWK is supposed to be able to rip songs from your actual game discs (such as GH3) to use in it's program which is based on RB2. You can also download custom user made songs to play through it as well, but I was hoping to use the rip function as I already own 3 different Guitar Hero games, all with some pretty good tracks.

As for the IOS list you posted, it looks like there are some similarities and some differences, why do you have so many different versions of source 56 and 57? And I was also told that having the "trucha bugged" versions isn't good, can you explain why that is? Also, is there any easy way to fix my ios fumble or do I have to hunt them down one by one and install them individually?

14. cxerophim
    OP

cxerophim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for that! Sorry for the mix-up, I was writing my response when you were posting that I guess lol but I will definitely try that first. What is Pimp my Wii? Is it like a SysChecker, because I already used one of those to get my ios list, what else does it do? And yeah, I probably won't register for any other sites, sorry, only reason I registered here even was because it seemed like the only forum for this topic with any kind of regular responses lol but thank you so much so far for the help.

15. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    If you look closely you'll notice that base 56,57 are in different cIOS versions it's for compatibility, different cIOS work better for some homebrew some versions work best for some things where another works best for something else.
    Having trucha in multiple IOS can be bad trucha also makes the IOS run slow if i'm not mistaken. but you need truch in some IOS' for some homebrew to work properly for example RAWK probably depends on trucha being present in IOS 36 to install a patched 37 to run it's hack.

Wii-info.fr has some pretty good homebrew that can't be found anywhere else but I can upload the latest version of Pimp My Wii to mediafire,

Pimp My Wii is kinda of like modmii but as a homebrew, be careful with it though, it can patch all your IOS' for Trucha and ES_Verify that function is only if you have a modchip and a wii with boot2v1 or boot2v2, it's for patching your wii system to load burned Wii games however that same menu can be useful for keeping your IOS updated it can even download an old version of an IOS that now is a stub for exaxmple if an IOS version has been released that is a stub but the previous version of that IOS number had functions and is still available on the Nintendo Update Server Pimp My Wii will download the old version and installed it with the same version number as stub was. Also like I showed you it can also save a generated report of all contents installed, it saves more information then what I posted but you didn't need to see my common key my installed titles save games and other things, It can install Wads to the nand download, updated cIOS' , It can also download and install the latest version of Dios-Mios or Dios-Mios Lite and the modified BCv6 for memory card emulation with Dios-Mios

16. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
  17. cxerophim
    OP

cxerophim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the info and the upload, that really helped me understand the whole process a little bit better. So, based on the report I generated with SysChecker which IOS's do I need to fix? Or will Pimp My Wii determine that automatically? Also, I'll be brutally honest and say that I don't really have any idea what Dios-Mios does other than GameCube stuff, but I'm not really a fan of GameCube games and as I said, I have a newer, black wii which has no GameCube controller ports, so I couldn't play them anyway. On a related note though, I was looking at something called QuadForce for arcade versions of MarioGP and FZero, but it says it requires GC controller, so is QuadForce only for the earlier, white Wii's? I read that Dolphin and Nintendont can both play them as well, but I know nothing about either one. Thanks for all the help so far and sorry I'm such a n00b when it comes to this stuff.

18. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    well you want to run the path & install IOS 36 process in multi-mod-manager unless you already did so. install Hermes&Rodries cIOS 202 v6 222 223 224 v5.1 replace D2X xv6 with D2X v8

Dios-Mios is a modified MIOS app that forwards access to USB or SD(Dios-Mios Lite) and yes as you have a black wii with no gamecube ports your can't use it but you can use Nintendon-t all you need to do is have a classic controller download nintendon-t and place it on a Fat32 HDD or flash drive usb:/apps/nintendon-t/ place your gamecube games in usb:/games/Game Name[ID6]/game.iso the .iso file actually needs to be called game.iso for multi disc games the first disc is game.iso the second disc is disc2.iso the same goes for 3 and 4 disc games disc3.iso and disc4.iso

Nintendon-t recently has had the ability to run TriForce Arcade games

19. cxerophim
    OP

cxerophim Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    I don't understand the first part, MMM doesn't have an option for a 36ios...as far as I can tell. That sounds great, thanks for the info on Nintendon-t I'll have to look at their page. Also, I know this thread is kinda going on with different questions but what can I clean up after I'm done with all of this, because I have some folders on my SD that I'm pretty sure I don't need anymore and also do I need to keep all the different ios installers/wads, actually do I need any of the wads at all (example: after I install the backup vc/wiiware game to emunand do I need to keep the wad)? Thanks for everything, you've been very helpful

20. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    are you using the version of multi-mod-manager that I linked? it's the latest version v13.4 it does have the option to install and patch IOS36 i've used it personally. it's an option on the main screen.

I would personally keep a backup of your current wads on your pc just in case things go wrong and you need those backups