Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

SomeGuy2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK Im a little confused. Im still a little new @ this wii modding thing. I have a US Model Wii running System Menu v3.2U I think. Have Homebrew channel v1.0.1 installed and working I also have Preloader v.28 but want to upgrade to .29 but keeps failing.

Preloader v.28 says IOS v30 SystemMenu v289
HBC says v1.0.1 IOS36 v4.18

Using WAD Manager 1.3 the only WAD I can install without error is cios249r7.wad every other WAD I try to install give me a ret=-1022 error.

Im confused, I want my wii as uptoday as I can get it and I under stand that I might now want to upgrade to SystemMenu v4 yet.

I am trying to install any of the new USB Loaders to play with them but no matter what I try to load/install as far as all these cIOSs and IOS and such its getting confusing.

What do I need to do in order to install any of the public avail USB Loaders based on the pecs of my system I gave above?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

KevMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey so I am brand new to the whole wii homebrew deal and have a coupld questions. Before I ask here is how my wii is setup right now: I have V3.4U with homebrew channel installed to my wii system. On the homebrew channel all I have installed right now is GeckoOS (not sure of uses just followed a tutorial) and the Brawl+ codeset that Gecko loads. So my questions are this:

1) I was reading a couple post and was wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to V4.0 and if so what is the safe method to do so. (will I need to save HBC to my SD card first or what?)

2) If I do upgrade will my Brawl+ hack still work and is 4.0 compatible with most other apps as of now.

3) My main concern with all of this is bricking my wii so what applications do you want on your wii to prevent this from happening. (I have heard of starfall, preloader, and softmii though I dont know how any of this works)

4) What apps are needed or best to have with homebrew channel

When all is said and done with I just want to have a hombrew wii with the ability to use emulators to play games saftely, be able to play brawl+, customizing the wii menu looked pretty cool/different app channels on the menu, and have it be brickproof and/or have a way to repair it if something happens.

I am not familiar with ISO's or related things but I will look to see but help with that would be appreciated.

Thanks

raptir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KevMan:

1) If you want SDHC support or the ability to play WiiWare/VC off of your SD card, then yes, it is worth it. I highly recommend this tutorial:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

I used that, and it worked fine. Make sure you downgrade first. Also, if you go to Waninkoko's blog (just google his name) you can get a network version of the cIOS36 installer, eliminating the need to make the WAD.

2) Yes, it will still work. Ocarina is supported in 4.0. The only things that aren't supported are Starfall and installation of all of these hacks. If they're already installed, you'll be fine.

3) Unfortunately, you can't use any of these to preven bricking when updating the system menu, as the installation process overwrites them. Once you get it updated, look into Preloader and StartPatch4.0.2. I'm liking Preloader so far, but apparently once you install it you cannot remove it completely. StartPatch is completely removable, and provides a simple way to recover from a half/soft-brick. If you just want brick protection, get StartPatch. Just search for it on here. And none of this makes it brick-proof, it just makes it so you can recover from a partial brick of your system (IE, system menu corruption).

4) That's really personal preference. I like the Homebrew Browser, as it can help you keep all your homebrew up to date. It'll also help you install other homebrew (like emulators) easily.

jiteshpatel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey

i do not really want the homebrew channel because of the complications when updating

i was wounder if there exists a way of laying wiiware and victual console games of a disk or even a sd card without the use of the homrbrew chennel

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
jiteshpatel said:
hey

i do not really want the homebrew channel because of the complications when updating

i was wounder if there exists a way of laying wiiware and victual console games of a disk or even a sd card without the use of the homrbrew chennel

You would need 4.0 for that.
Check out this tutorial for that:

http://wehackwii.pbwiki.com/News+-+System+Menu+v4

jiteshpatel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i ment i want to be able to download wiiware and vc games from the net (if they are available) and burn them onto disk or onto SD cards and play them on the wii without the use of the homebrew channel at all is that possible

if not is there a way of installing the homebrew channel just once in order to do the above and then get rid of the channel and still use the games how i described above

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
jiteshpatel said:
i ment i want to be able to download wiiware and vc games from the net (if they are available) and burn them onto disk or onto SD cards and play them on the wii without the use of the homebrew channel at all is that possible

if not is there a way of installing the homebrew channel just once in order to do the above and then get rid of the channel and still use the games how i described above

You can download them illegally from the net, and then you should put them on your SD card.
Then you have 2 possibilities:

- Install them via WADManager which you can use via the Homebrewchannel
You install them then on your Wii's memory

- Install 4.0 and then you can run them from your SD card (run=copy from the SD card to the Wii's memory, if the game closes, it copies itself back over to the SD card)

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Satangel said:
run=copy from the SD card to the Wii's memory, if the game closes, it copies itself back over to the SD card
It won't copy back over after closing the game
The next one will overwrite it and the first game never leaves the sd card

jiteshpatel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
jiteshpatel said:

You can download them illegally from the net, and then you should put them on your SD card.
Then you have 2 possibilities:

- Install them via WADManager which you can use via the Homebrewchannel
You install them then on your Wii's memory

- Install 4.0 and then you can run them from your SD card (run=copy from the SD card to the Wii's memory, if the game closes, it copies itself back over to the SD card)

you know the 2bullet point, does that mean i download the game from any site, put it on a sd card, and then simply put the sd in the wii and copy the game to the wii? can i run from the SD menu and also are there any problems with this method? sorry to ask such dumb questions

loony747

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I have another question, regarding external hard drives to use with USB Loader.

I'm a bit on budget right now, and only have a little over 65 bucks to spend.

Anyways, I've been looking on Newegg, and found a few that seem to be plenty cheap for the capacity they hold. But I wanted to ask here before I make a purchase, to see if anyone had any of the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822242009 - Cirago 320Gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16822136174R - Western Digital 320Gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16822148340R - Seagate 250Gb

Now, the reason I'm mainly asking is because:

1) I want to see if they work with the USB Loader

2) The prices seem fairly cheap, and I don't want to receive a piece of crap at my step. Then again, maybe that's because I'm used to buying at stores like Best Buy, and tend to see 160Gb drives for over 70 bucks.

Hopefully you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

TheOnlyOneHeFear

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quick question, I'm running a Wii with 3.2E at the moment. I've got the latest HBC installed, and I recently installed cIOS rev 10 (for the USB backup launcher) and preloader 0.29. I haven't installed any other cIOSes (apart from rev 9 before I updated to rev 10). I want to update from 3.2E to 4.0E now, but will the fact that I've already installed preloader affect anything? Can I go ahead and run wanin's 4.0 updater without any problems? Or do I have to somehow uninstall preloader first, update to 4.0 and then reinstall preloader?

CursaKuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, REALLY new to all of this and there are like.. pages and pages.. of junk to go through
i tried searching for a few hours now can't find my simple answer. (searched not only this website)

What I know:

Im using Wiikey 1.9g
Recently updated out of stupidity and curiosity (friend told me it was "safe") :[
So I'm on 4.0U now -.- Aaand...
I never got the HBC or anything really before the update.

What I want to know:

Am i "screwed" if i don't already have HBC on my wii.
Or can I downgrade my software somehow using wiikey disks? or any other way for me to do stuff?

Wanting to just play some VC and wiiware.
Not sure now if I will have to sit it out now until another twilight style hack comes around
If i could do ANYTHING from where i'm sitting. Please let me know.
smile.gif
Thanks!!!
wacko.gif

loony747

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheOnlyOneHeFears said:
Quick question, I'm running a Wii with 3.2E at the moment. I've got the latest HBC installed, and I recently installed cIOS rev 10 (for the USB backup launcher) and preloader 0.29. I haven't installed any other cIOSes (apart from rev 9 before I updated to rev 10). I want to update from 3.2E to 4.0E now, but will the fact that I've already installed preloader affect anything? Can I go ahead and run wanin's 4.0 updater without any problems? Or do I have to somehow uninstall preloader first, update to 4.0 and then reinstall preloader?

You should be fine updating to 4.0 using Wanin's method. I did the same but two days ago.

You should know, however, that once you update, your Preloader will be erased, which means you will need to install it again. Again, I did this but 2 days ago.
tongue.gif

Overall, just upgrade to 4, and then reinstall Preloader .29. You should be fine.

QUOTE(CursaKuma @ Apr 15 2009, 01:09 PM) Hey, REALLY new to all of this and there are like.. pages and pages.. of junk to go through
i tried searching for a few hours now can't find my simple answer. (searched not only this website)

What I know:

Im using Wiikey 1.9g
Recently updated out of stupidity and curiosity (friend told me it was "safe") :[

What I want to know:

Or can I downgrade my software somehow using wiikey disks? or any other way for me to do stuff?

Not sure now if I will have to sit it out now until another twilight style hack comes around
smile.gif
Thanks!!!
wacko.gif

Personally, I would just wait for a new Twilight Hack. You can downgrade, but most of the methods I know require you to use the HBC... which you don't have.

Since I don't have a modded Wii, I can't help you with anything reagrding it. I sure hope someone else comes, and will be able to help you.

CursaKuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
loony747 said:
TheOnlyOneHeFears said:

You should be fine updating to 4.0 using Wanin's method. I did the same but two days ago.

You should know, however, that once you update, your Preloader will be erased, which means you will need to install it again. Again, I did this but 2 days ago.
tongue.gif

Overall, just upgrade to 4, and then reinstall Preloader .29. You should be fine.

QUOTE(CursaKuma @ Apr 15 2009, 01:09 PM) Hey, REALLY new to all of this and there are like.. pages and pages.. of junk to go through

What I know:

Im using Wiikey 1.9g

What I want to know:

smile.gif
Thanks!!!
wacko.gif

Personally, I would just wait for a new Twilight Hack. You can downgrade, but most of the methods I know require you to use the HBC... which you don't have.

Since I don't have a modded Wii, I can't help you with anything reagrding it. I sure hope someone else comes, and will be able to help you.

Thanks for the fast response man, i looked everywhere honestly. Now i know i can safely wait like the idiot that i am for updating.
smile.gif
lol oh well

raptir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last question... is it safe to just reinstall Firmware Update 4.0 if I'm already running 4.0? I want to try StartPatch instead of Preloader. Though I might just wait for BootMii. But, the question stands, is it safe to install System Menu 4.0 without downgrading again first?

Also, does the IOS Downgrader remove PatchMii, or does it leave it in tact?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like how these earbuds put on a light show like PAIR ME PAIR ME