Hacking Noob needs help figuring out what modchip to use on Wii

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiserial2.jpg

So yah, I am a complete noob and that's my results from wiidrives.com. Can someone give me a link to what chip will work on my Wii? I heard ozmodchips and modchipcentral are good sites but there are so many modchips there that I have no idea which one would work on mine. I don't want to do any soldering or anything so I would like to order my chip with the wiiclip thing and the triwing screwdriver. Some links to where I can buy the right modchip for my Wii would be appreciated^^ Thanks.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Edit: Sure that it was the full number this time? The result still seems strange...
Did you type it up to the letter at the end, or have you left something out?
Btw. I don't know if wiidrives has enough data allready. Try using the Wii serial tracker.

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow that looks confusing. why is there a port to connect to the PC? i gotta search some more stuff about this before i get it. btw, what about all those wiikey w/wiiclip that everyone else has? won't that work on my wii?

nvm, i guess this IS the wiikey thing? but i m still trieng to figure out what the pc port thing is for...

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well it's because the Chip inside this Clip is blank and you would have to program it. But YAOSM (the code that you would program on it) is the best there is for D2Bs and it's really not that hard to do...
You can find more infos about it here: http://wiinewz.com/forums/yaosm/
here is a tut how to program it (except that you won't have to build a programmer, as it is allready includet in the Free Clip package: http://wiinewz.com/forums/yaosm/66819-yaosm-scratch.html / and that the PIC inside the Clip is a 12F683, so you would have to chose that one from the pulldown menu.)

Edit: Nope it's not the Wiikey thing, it's better.
biggrin.gif

Edit2: Maybe this picture makes it clearer: http://wii-clip.com/images/FREE-Clip-01.jpg
The chip is inside the clip, you just have to burn code on it once.

Edit3: You'll need these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2905

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes it would, but you would be at $65 plus shipping and have a worse (not much, but still) chip than with the Fee Clip, which is $25 shipped...

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yah but for the freeclip installing thing, it shows that i have to connect wires and stuff. and it looks really complicated. With the wiikey, i just have to clip it on and it's done. (or is it? i am not sure. do i have to install something with a dvd or something?) I would rather spend 65$ more to have a easy setup then to have to do wires and stuff which I have NO IDEA whatsoever on how it works so I don't want to screw up my wii.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm no you really don't. You stick the Free Clip into the programmer, stick that into your PC, programm it with YAOSM and clip the Clip on your Wii-drive. It's a little more work than an wiikey+clip, but not much and you don't have to wire anything.
The only thing you really need is a PC that still has this port. (some of the newer ones don't have it anymore)
But in the end you'll have to install it. I can just advise, which is the best way to go / best chip.

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm... my new laptop has that port but in the comments sections, some guy wrote:

You're opening your Wii, so things can go wrong.
I accidentally broke the power connector on my Wii, so I have to tape it on. BE CAREFUL.
The PIC programmer REQUIRES SERIAL AND USB. I saw the USB on it and figured that it could be programmed with just the USB. THIS IS NOT TRUE. You have to have a serial cable for the programming process, it just uses USB for power.

I don't understand what he means by that. According to you, all i have to do is stick the freeclip onto the pc port thingy and stick that onto my laptop and run the autoprogrammer. what's this USB stuff? i wonder if there is a video of someone installing this...

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i understand now. this makes a lot more sense to me now. the only problems i have now are...

-I am worried if my wii isn't d2B... has wii serial tracker been a reliable source for others?

-Is there any other site that I could buy this cuz I don't have a paypal account and I don't want to create one just for one purchase...

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The serial tracker only estimates what your drive-chip is. Now your drive is 100% a D2B, and the pins are not cut to 98%, but to be absolutely sure you would have to open your Wii and look for yourself.
I sadly don't know another site where you could get a Free-Clip, maybe somebody else around here does, but I'm pretty sure, that you can pay at Dealextreme via credit card. (through paypal without the need to create a paypal account)

On the other hand you never know when a paypal account might come in handy again and it's free. I have used it lots of times over the past years (then again I don't have a credit card, so it's the only way most of the times).

Edit: Yep, checked. You can pay via Paypal with a credit card without creating an account. It's just like paying in any other online store (well maybe a little safer). Just select standart paypal checkout

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1