Hacking Non-trimmable Roms

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
New Super Mario is trimmable for single player. No, I've never testing local wireless play, but I have heard numerous folks say that if you ever want to play wireless (excluding Wi-Fi Connection), you should never trim any ROMs that you intend to play.

Also, Nintendogs runs fine here trimmed.

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NSMB works just fine for me in multiplayer trimmed, . Well, to be perfectly honest, one rom was untrimmed and the other trimmed so i assume both rom trimmed would work too.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nearly all roms have some junk FF's or 00's at the end of the rom you can drop without issue.
A few GBA titles (mother 3 and Riviera are 2 that spring to mind) have a few junk bytes at the end that can be erased with a hex editor leaving it to be trimmed normally.

Some early intros on GBA roms as well as a few translations and other hacks have their code put at the end of the rom too.
The "pure" version of GBA Silent Hill has a date at the end of the junk section too which can cause ripping issues.

The other form of ripping (linked in my signature for those that want more info) whereby you drop movies/languages/swap out sound for smaller versions... can be done on nearly all roms but it does not always produce a worthwhile result (sometimes you only lose 2 megs or so).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk