Hacking Homebrew DS flashcart fails to run homebrew apps and twilightmenu++

elezzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have been extensively trying to get any form of homebrew to run on my flashcart with no luck so far, my flashcart is the stickerless red PCB one that can be found on ebay and runs WOOD, i wouldn't be able to tell you a specific name but the kernel it uses is from the "Ace3DS+_R4iLS_Wood_R4_1.62" folder on the github archive.
i tried running twilightmenu++ but it gives me the "FAT init failed! Press B to power off." error and i also tried the latest homebrew menu but it gives a similar "FatinitDefault failed!" error

is there any way to get homebrew running on this cart?
or could someone at least explain the root of the issue, I'm new to homebrew development.

thanks in advance and happy new year!

edit: i should add that this runs most if not all non homebrew ROMs i have tried without issue

Last edited by elezzar,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried adding the Ace3DS+ autoboot files for TWLMenu++? They should replace the _DS_MENU.dat files on the flashcard's SD root.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Personally when I am faced with this kind of problem there can be 2 reasons, the first concerns the storage capacity of the SD card (certain homebrew like Xrick do not work on SD cards of more than 32gb), otherwise it can come homebrews using the latest libraries so for this reason, I use three launchers:

- HBmenu 0.4.1 for old homebrews
- HBmenu 0.9.0 for newer hombrews
- YSmenu for newer homebrews that require the use of a memory expansion pak

Rob's solution should work

But I also think that as an alternative solution, what you can also try is to launch TWL++ via HBmenu 0.9.0 or YSmenu

If you want to try taking the test, here are the necessary links:

HBmenu pack :

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Menu

YSmenu :

https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally when I am faced with this kind of problem there can be 2 reasons, the first concerns the storage capacity of the SD card (certain homebrew like Xrick do not work on SD cards of more than 32gb), otherwise it can come homebrews using the latest libraries so for this reason, I use three launchers:
Most r4i-sdhc.com or Ace3DS+ cards can do 32GB or larger microSD cards, as long as they are formatted to FAT32.

i have been extensively trying to get any form of homebrew to run on my flashcart with no luck so far, my flashcart is the stickerless red PCB one that can be found on ebay and runs WOOD, i wouldn't be able to tell you a specific name but the kernel it uses is from the "Ace3DS+_R4iLS_Wood_R4_1.62" folder on the github archive.
i tried running twilightmenu++ but it gives me the "FAT init failed! Press B to power off." error and i also tried the latest homebrew menu but it gives a similar "FatinitDefault failed!" error
Maybe try installing TwiLight Menu++ instead? Or make sure your SD card is correctly formatted.

Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most r4i-sdhc.com or Ace3DS+ cards can do 32GB or larger microSD cards, as long as they are formatted to FAT32.
Yes, I completely agree with you, sorry, it was me who expressed myself badly, what I wanted to say is that certain old homebrews are not compatible with micro SD of more than 32gb, that is not It's not a hardware problem but rather a software problem.

Reactions: SylverReZ

elezzar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried adding the Ace3DS+ autoboot files for TWLMenu++? They should replace the _DS_MENU.dat files on the flashcard's SD root.
Thank you very much! This worked, not sure why it didn't before I was sure I tried and it said the DAT wasn't found, perhaps I used the wrong .dat by accident, either way, thanks heaps and to everyone else who posted on this thread as well!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto