Not open for further replies.

b00100100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a new Nintendo 3DS (non-XL version) and I am having some sound issues. Sound works perfect with headphones, and the volume button does work. When headphones are not inserted I get no sound from the speakers. If I open the camera and take a picture, it makes no sound when taking a picture. I am comfortable opening the unit up and when I did so the water indicators had been tripped. I did not remove/inspect the underside of the motherboard as it seemed like a lot of work when I don't know what I am looking for.

Does anyone have any schematics of the external sound system of the n3ds (non-XL)? I'd like to debug this and fix it but not exactly sure where to start. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Try taking the battery out, then press the power button a couple times to completely discharge the 3DS. Wait for a minute or two, then put the battery back in and test the volume. If that doesn't work, try killing the battery completely and then recharging your 3DS fully while it's off.

If those methods don't work then your speakers have probably died and you'll need to replace them. If you're tech savvy just buy replacement speakers on Ebay and replace them yourself, but some words of warning; the New 3DS XL is one of the most annoying and difficult devices to take apart. Prepare yourself if you plan to go this route."
taken from https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/9b8qgx/i_need_help_fixing_my_3dss_audio/
This should work for the New 3DS. Don't quote me on that because I never owned a New 3DS but I have taken them apart before. they are as annoying as he says.

Reactions: fmkid

b00100100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. No it wasn't hacked when I got it, however it is hacked now. I did already take it half way apart and cleaned off all corrosion and discoloration I saw with a brush and ISP alcohol. I have to say I am a little surprised that the speakers would just die. I know the sound system is in tact because the headphones worked. I would have expected some distorted sound or something from bad speakers. Well I guess I will go the replacement route. thanks

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies. No it wasn't hacked when I got it, however it is hacked now. I did already take it half way apart and cleaned off all corrosion and discoloration I saw with a brush and ISP alcohol. I have to say I am a little surprised that the speakers would just die. I know the sound system is in tact because the headphones worked. I would have expected some distorted sound or something from bad speakers. Well I guess I will go the replacement route. thanks
Check the headset port. Make sure nothing is in there.

b00100100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the headset port. Make sure nothing is in there.

I feel if it was related to the headphone port then i would still get camera shutter sound when I take a picture. I get no sound out of speakers taking a picture. I was thinking that perhaps one of the lines to the speakers was being shorted to ground by water damage corrosion and if I just cleaned it off then it would work again. My fear here is taking the entire mother board and exposing the top electronics is kinda scary. I exposed one side of the mottherboard which involved removing 4 flex wires but going further looks like a whole lot more. If I know what the sound circuit looked like I would feel more comfortable tracing it, however right now I am kinda blind as to what is what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!