Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DS Lite was a "revision" in the sense that it was a redesign from a physical standpoint (not a features/compatibility one like the DSi). Brighter screens, different shape (full clamshell, more balanced top to bottom), smaller slot-2 (and some addon cards changed for that), better battery life, and wasn't it even cheaper? A better model of the original DS. That's what people feared, that a cheaper and lighter 3DS would come out to replace the current physical model, and that's what Nintendo was trying to calm.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The DS Lite was a "revision" in the sense that it was a redesign from a physical standpoint (not a features/compatibility one like the DSi). Brighter screens, different shape (full clamshell, more balanced top to bottom), smaller slot-2 (and some addon cards changed for that), better battery life, and wasn't it even cheaper? A better model of the original DS. That's what people feared, that a cheaper and lighter 3DS would come out to replace the current physical model, and that's what Nintendo was trying to calm.
...and they're releasing a more expensive, heavier and bigger 3DS model - how does that change anything?

The functionality remains the same, the screens are bigger and appear to be improved, the model is getting a CPP XL, so a potential buyer doesn't miss on anything...

The only thing that makes this situation different is the fact that its purpose is not to replace the 3DS, instead, it simply branches the main console into the "Small" and "Big", leaving the choice to the End User, which is nice and dandy.

I don't think anyone seriously expected an all-new 3DS that'd replace the current one - the handheld is young and unlike in the case of the DS Classic which had some hardware issues, there's nothing that appears to be wrong with it. Nintendo isn't quite there yet technology-wise to improve upon the design or miniaturize it without inflating the price of the end product.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
...and they're releasing a more expensive, heavier and bigger 3DS model - how does that change anything?
lolwut

"Company A said they're not going to release a model that's cheaper and lighter and better-built."
"Well they're releasing a bigger and heavier one so-"

Again, lolwut?

Cheaper and lighter versus more expensive and heavier... these are not things pulled out of asses. These are things people care about.
Nintendo was denying the fears that they were going to release a cheaper/lighter/better model to replace the current.

"Cheaper and lighter and better-built to replace the current model".
Okay, now let's examine the DSi XL and 3DS XL.
"More expensive and heavier models sold alongside the first."

Do I need to make a fucking chart to explain this shit?

People were holding back on the 3DS expecting a CHEAPER and LIGHTER model (possibly better-built, with the rumors of the second analog stick). Nintendo doesn't want that. Nintendo wants people to BUY the system, not hold off on buying it. So Nintendo let people know that they were not building a CHEAPER and LIGHTER system to REPLACE the first one.

Instead, they did the same damn thing they did with the DSi, they released a MORE EXPENSIVE and HEAVIER and BIGGER system to be SOLD ALONGSIDE the first.

D

Deleted User

OP
lolwut

"Company A said they're not going to release a model that's cheaper and lighter and better-built."
"Well they're releasing a bigger and heavier one so-"

Again, lolwut?

Cheaper and lighter versus more expensive and heavier... these are not things pulled out of asses. These are things people care about.
Nintendo was denying the fears that they were going to release a cheaper/lighter/better model to replace the current.

"Cheaper and lighter and better-built to replace the current model".
Okay, now let's examine the DSi XL and 3DS XL.
"More expensive and heavier models sold alongside the first."

Do I need to make a fucking chart to explain this shit?

People were holding back on the 3DS expecting a CHEAPER and LIGHTER model (possibly better-built, with the rumors of the second analog stick). Nintendo doesn't want that. Nintendo wants people to BUY the system, not hold off on buying it. So Nintendo let people know that they were not building a CHEAPER and LIGHTER system to REPLACE the first one.

Instead, they did the same damn thing they did with the DSi, they released a MORE EXPENSIVE and HEAVIER and BIGGER system to be SOLD ALONGSIDE the first.
Pretty much this, It doesn't hurt them, if anything it helps them out, they're not trying to alienate their base by redesigning the thing.
A lot of people, myself included, find the 3ds TOO small, but still wanted to get the system right away.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
*supermad*
I'm not entirely sure if you read the rest of my post. Probably not.
You admitted there was a choice instead of replacement (which is one of the major differences), but the main point was people were waiting to avoid feeling ripped off (like people who bought the 3DS at launch price did so that's still fresh in the minds of consumers).

That's the main point, people didn't want to feel ripped off and that's what Nintendo was trying to calm fears of.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
*supermad*
I'm not entirely sure if you read the rest of my post. Probably not.
You admitted there was a choice instead of replacement (which is one of the major differences), but the main point was people were waiting to avoid feeling ripped off (like people who bought the 3DS at launch price did so that's still fresh in the minds of consumers).

That's the main point, people didn't want to feel ripped off and that's what Nintendo was trying to calm fears of.
No need for such outbursts though - I agreed that it's not a replacement and in fact, I even said that nobody should've expected one nor should in the nearby future as Nintendo isn't quite "there" yet, and you exploded as if I slaughtered your pet hamster. :P

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You mean you didn't?

No I just get really annoyed when I have to repeat myself, and from the way you worded the part I quoted it seemed like you didn't think the difference between a bigger and smaller device was one that mattered to consumers (when there's people on both sides of the fence).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You mean you didn't?

No I just get really annoyed when I have to repeat myself, and from the way you worded the part I quoted it seemed like you didn't think the difference between a bigger and smaller device was one that mattered to consumers (when there's people on both sides of the fence).
Apart from the part where I say that the End User is the one who chooses between the smaller or the bigger variant, both of which have the same functionality. :P

I guess it might've been worded awkwardly, but at least now it's clear what I meant...

...and your rodent was delicious. :creep:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.