• Replies 111
  • Likes 10
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
Since everyone is arguing, I'm joining.

Revision: A revised model of a console. No graphical leaps are available. All titles can be played on the previous titles with only a few exceptions. It may have new features, however. (EX: DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS XL) It will sell side-by-side with the previous model.
Successor: A completely new console with games not playable on the previous console. (EX: DS Phat, 3DS)

DSi is kind of both of these. It is a revision of the DS Lite. It can play DSiWare games. However, it can be sold with the DS Lite. So I call it a semi-successor. If you want to argue, quote me.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway

But still this is such a profitable business that Nintendo made 2 revisions and a extra large version, probably we will see the same with 3DS. A second version with 2nd analog and some new stuff(and a XL), And then a third by the end of 3DS life-cycle, with bluetooth, 4g, Amoled screens, Multitouch, 10 MP cameras, better resolution, lightier, and more compact(and the XL)

Seeing how most people that buy new consoles buy used i dont see a bright future with tons of revisions. I have to agree with foxi really. The companies will get it in their brain that stores like gamestop is making way more profit of those new revisions than they ever will or planned.

Well the question i asked had pretty much a obvious answer. Like foxi said. They will earn on the new. But looking overall sales of everything it might not have moved at all. Damn you stores like GameStop. I dont want a future where your phone is the console :( Fuck you touchscreen only controller!

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how most people that buy new consoles buy used i dont see a bright future with tons of revisions. I have to agree with foxi really. The companies will get it in their brain that stores like gamestop is making way more profit of those new revisions than they ever will or planned.

Well the question i asked had pretty much a obvious answer. Like foxi said. They will earn on the new. But looking overall sales of everything it might not have moved at all. Damn you stores like GameStop. I dont want a future where your phone is the console :( Fuck you touchscreen only controller!
I think the article I linked to proved they are losing money for each console made after all a smart company wouldn't say that if they weren't. Ya, Gamestop sees some money from this and the helpfulness of sales numbers is still debatable so used 3ds console sales might not be as bad as people thing. Software sales on the other hand are more questionable but if your losing money from each sale them buying a used console then new games later help more then buying a new console and new games later.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
@[member='Foxi4']

To play devil's advocate, had the 3DSXL had the circle pad pro built in, would it have been a revision or successor? It would have games you can't play with the standard 3DS, but the 3DS can be 'upgraded' to play those games with the help of an add-on.

And cool, another thread about the XL turning into a debate about revision vs successor!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='Foxi4']
To play devil's advocate, had the 3DSXL had the circle pad pro built in, would it have been a revision or successor? It would have games you can't play with the standard 3DS, but the 3DS can be 'upgraded' to play those games with the help of an add-on.

And cool, another thread about the XL turning into a debate about revision vs successor!
There are no CPP-only games, besides, let's not confuse platform-exclusive content with *accessory* requirements. :)

Let's not gravitate to the other side of the scale all of a sudden, extremities are never good. Second-hand market has been in place since the dawn of "goods exchange" and it's not something to be afraid of. Neither Nintendo nor any other company will suddenly sink because of it. If Nintendo wants to avoid the fallout of cheap, second-hand software or hardware, they simply have to add some sort of bonuses for the "first person who registers the hardware/software" - they're doing it today in the form of Stars, but not all people know what the stars do and what you can get in exchange. Some people don't even register their purchases at all while it should be common place to do so. WE WANT ENTICING PRIZES, NINTENDO!

DSi is kind of both of these. It is a revision of the DS Lite. It can play DSiWare games. However, it can be sold with the DS Lite. So I call it a semi-successor. If you want to argue, quote me.
We're supposed to use a different standard for the DSi just because it has very little cart-based exclusives and mostly relies on DSiWare to differentiate itself from its predecessor? No.

The DSi was released to flush out the DS - it was not a concurrent design with it, it was a whole new architecture based on new hardware, firmware and software. We can't just squint our eyes and pretend that the whole DS-Compatibility Mode was gravitating around downstepping the CPU, the facts are that it had vastly different specs and software made exclusively for it. You can't make a "semi-successor" it's one or the other.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
What about the Sega Genesis 2 model? That was just a revision basically, but with it being able to play 32X games and then it had the Sega CD... which were basically it's own consoles just sucking the juice out of the original 2 model.

Model 2 couldn't play 32X games, it was just a different form factor.

There were plans for a megadrive(Genesis)/32X combo, codenamed Neptune, but it never surfaced.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What about the Sega Genesis 2 model? That was just a revision basically, but with it being able to play 32X games and then it had the Sega CD... which were basically it's own consoles just sucking the juice out of the original 2 model.

There were plans for a megadrive(Genesis)/32X combo, codenamed Neptune, but it never surfaced.
I can assure you that the Model 2 was compatible with 32X, it simply required the use of a spacer that came with the 32X. The Neptune was really just a stand-alone 32X and it was scrapped due to the fact that Sega was already working on the Saturn. Besides, 32X sales were abysmal, so they figured there was no point in further drowning money.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway

Let's not gravitate to the other side of the scale all of a sudden, extremities are never good. Second-hand market has been in place since the dawn of "goods exchange" and it's not something to be afraid of. Neither Nintendo nor any other company will suddenly sink because of it. If Nintendo wants to avoid the fallout of cheap, second-hand software or hardware, they simply have to add some sort of bonuses for the "first person who registers the hardware/software" - they're doing it today in the form of Stars, but not all people know what the stars do and what you can get in exchange. Some people don't even register their purchases at all while it should be common place to do so. WE WANT ENTICING PRIZES, NINTENDO!
I have yet to register even 1 of all my DS/3DS/Wii games. Yes i havent at all because they dont support the country called Norway. Until they do im not going to register. FU YOU NINTENDO! Another reason why i PIRATE AND PLAY before i actually buy it. Im pretty much losing money if i buy it without having anything in return if it ends up not hitting my standards. And no i do not sell back games i have bought.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

I can assure you that the Model 2 was compatible with 32X, it simply required the use of a spacer that came with the 32X. The Neptune was really just a stand-alone 32X and it was scrapped due to the fact that Sega was already working on the Saturn. Besides, 32X sales were abysmal, so they figured there was no point in further drowning money.

What? I didn't say that the Model 2 couldn't work with the 32X; I said it didn't include built in 32X functionality, like the post I replied to implied.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='DarkStriker']

I had the same problem with my Gamecube, DS Lite and Wii, but I registered in the UK instead and even got one prize - it was a Giratina keychain. I set the adress of pick-up to my girlfriend's house and bam - perfect gift for the Pokemon fan that she is. Poland was recently added, but I don't feel like registering, I don't buy nearly enough games to amount to any worthwhile prize, but I get your pain.
@[member='Pleng']

I see. I figured it was just awkwardly worded so I replied to it knowing what he probably meant, hence the misunderstanding.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I have yet to register even 1 of all my DS/3DS/Wii games. Yes i havent at all because they dont support the country called Norway. Until they do im not going to register. FU YOU NINTENDO! Another reason why i PIRATE AND PLAY before i actually buy it. Im pretty much losing money if i buy it without having anything in return if it ends up not hitting my standards. And no i do not sell back games i have bought.
My country didn't exist in the NoE until like 3 or 4 years ago. =3
Also, for some reason, all the countries that are on the NoE, are EU members (except two), pretty ironic. xP

Currently these are the countries that NoE supports:
-Portugal
-UK
-France
-Spain
-Nertherlands
-Italy
-Belgium
-Germany

Then there's these two:
-Russia
-South Africa (dunno why the hell it's part of NoE tho)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
-Portugal
-UK
-France
-Spain
-Nertherlands
-Italy
-Belgium
-Germany

Then there's these two:
-Russia
...you just helped me realize that the newly-opened Nintendo Poland website does not in fact have the registration or log in forms to enter the Stars program yet.

Well, that solves one problem - I can saftely carry on using my UK account. :P

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
-Portugal
-UK
-France
-Spain
-Nertherlands
-Italy
-Belgium
-Germany

Then there's these two:
-Russia
...you just helped me realize that the newly-opened Nintendo Poland website does not in fact have the registration or log in forms to enter the Stars program yet.

Well, that solves one problem - I can saftely carry on using my UK account. :P
Didn't know Nintendo opened one in Poland... It's not on NoE's main page yet: http://www.nintendo-europe.com/
Is it an official Nintendo website, or a third party one supported by Nintendo? Like the one in Greece.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Didn't know Nintendo opened one in Poland... It's not on NoE's main page yet: http://www.nintendo-europe.com/
Is it an official Nintendo website, or a third party one supported by Nintendo? Like the one in Greece.
I just double-checked the site - it's just the official Polish distributor, the site is maintained by a "third-party" company but it's "supported" by Nintendo... so yeah, not NoE, but Nintendo still.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just double-checked the site - it's just the official Polish distributor, the site is maintained by a "third-party" company but it's "supported" by Nintendo... so yeah, not NoE, but Nintendo still.
Then it'll probably follow the same system as the Greek one, so the papers for stars can't be redeemed on those sites.
You can always order from the other NoE countries tho since the main Nintendo central is in Germany I believe (all my star rewards come from Germany and my 3DS was sent to Germany to fix).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Then it'll probably follow the same system as the Greek one, so the papers for stars can't be redeemed on those sites.
You can always order from the other NoE countries tho since the main Nintendo central is in Germany I believe (all my star rewards come from Germany and my 3DS was sent to Germany to fix).
I... sincerely... don't care. :P

The only prize that I was vaguely interested in was the Silver Giratina DS Lite, and that's long-gone as far as I know. Damn, that thing was pretty...

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1