'No Man's Sky' To Get "Biggest Update Yet" And Xbox One Release

no mans sky next.JPG

Released back in 2016 for the PS4 and PC, the space exploration game is set for an Xbox One release and a free update dubbed NEXT on all platforms, its "biggest update so far".

“We called this update NEXT, because it’s an important next step on a longer journey for us and the community,” writes Sean Murray, Hello Games co-founder. “We’ve been working our socks off on this and it’s by far our biggest update so far. It will be free to existing players, and we’ll continue to support No Man’s Sky in this way for the foreseeable future.”

“We’ve learned a lot over the last few years, faster than we would have liked! I’d love to avoid talking completely and just make things people can play, but we knew this was going to leak anyway, and I think it’s news that should make a lot of folks happy,” Murray added.

The title will also be enhanced for the Xbox One X with HDR and 4K support. Xbox players will get all existing updates for the game, including the Foundation, Pathfinder, and Atlas Rises. The game is also launching in China on Tencent’s platform WeGame.

No Man Sky is coming to Xbox One in summer 2018 along with the NEXT expansion, a free update which also releases for PS4, PC and WeGame.

:arrow: No Man's Sky Official GBAtemp review

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I think it wouldn't even matter if the updated added everything they promised before. People are too mad at them/or flat out don't care anymore.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I think it wouldn't even matter if the updated added everything they promised before. People are too mad at them/or flat out don't care anymore.
There's still a fairly large community around the game that has only grown since the initial reckoning of 1.0.
To the point where people have made large unofficial factions, hub worlds and nebulas, and even an oddly played-out war at one point between a couple of those factions.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,
Reactions: DKB
D

Deleted User

Only way people will be happy with this update is if the update deletes NMS and installs something half decent. Like ET Atari, or Shaqfu.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's my question - as someone who didn't watch the press showings or read the press releases, hasn't seen much gameplay, and just likes the "explore the universe" theme, would this be a bad pickup for me? I understand everyone that says "they promised this and delivered X" but I'm not a backer, nor someone that preordered. Should I care what they promised? My local store had it on sale for $10.

Reactions: AxlSt00pid
D

Deleted User

Soon enough they will put sea of thieves on the ps4 once the game stops selling and everyones bored of it.It only makes sence.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit, Twitter is going to melt down when this releases, How is this company still in business after the last time they "released" No Man's Sky?

Paralel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can only give a crap if they can finally give you a damn mini-map to use on each world you land on. It's just too damn frustrating to try and discover all the things on a given planet when there is no map to use as a reference.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never played it, because I forgot about the game a week later, after it got teased at E3. Then it got released, and I didn't bother playing it, because of the drama.

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
As someone that loves the genre, if you like this type of game, just try elite dangerous
Elite Dangerous > Eve Online > One Man's Lie

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen several say it got better, and could well believe it, but does better mean good?

I have not played said updates but I did watch a long video of someone covering the various things that were done and from what I could see it still looked like a really weak and/or flawed game.

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The game is much better since it was at launch, but I always welcome more updates. Sadly many gamer have this type of pride where they wont touch a game if it used to be bad.
Especially when they use reviews as a opinion. The game can receive updates and such, but the reviews mostly not, they have to cover the new stuff. And when they are indeed updated, they wont receive as many attention as the first version.

I was always cautious about this game, even though some themes were of my interest because I hate this hype trend. People put so much expectations that they become unreasonable, especially using procedural generation. I always knew that a computer can create levels and such just with the tools in mind, but they cant create something with the player enjoyment in mind like a designer does.

Reactions: omgpwn666

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played it for a few hours when it first came out and found it annoying and boring. I hear the updates have improved things over time, so I'll look forward to seeing if this game is out of beta yet :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Kaden maybe contact the staff? I don't know how all that works