Homebrew [No Longer Working] Community freeShop fork - open source eShop alternative

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next step, roll out a Switch firmware update doing the same thing.
You know they will, though it may be lower priority since Switch is already going stronger in security than 3DS ever did before 11.8. Switch is already at the state we've been at since the 2017 May Ban Wave: If you've hacked, the real question is WHEN you get banned.

Mysuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I called this in another topic. Essentially CDN apps would become worthless, though I expected it to be slower. I assumed they would start incrementally rolling out the checks after the initial protection on their first-party titles.

I'm not sure how it affects PC-based ones such as Villain3DS, but even if it works for now (assuming you have a titlekeys list) it wouldn't take much extra time to fix.

I guess Nintendo finally hired some people who know cyber security.

I tested Villain and USB Helper (3DS games) and they don't work anymore for games. Only managed to download updates and DLCs from USB Helper, i tested with Radiant Historia and FE Echoes.

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested Villain and USB Helper (3DS games) and they don't work anymore for games. Only managed to download updates and DLCs from USB Helper, i tested with Radiant Historia and FE Echoes.
Is this using the old titlekeys site or the "new" one I haven't bothered to find yet? Either way I'm just resorting to CIAs and FBI, but I like information.

Mysuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is this using the old titlekeys site or the "new" one I haven't bothered to find yet? Either way I'm just resorting to CIAs and FBI, but I like information.

I didn't even know there was a new one. I'm using the same old one (ending with .gq), however i restored access modifying host files using this method

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I didn't even know there was a new one. I'm using the same old one (ending with .gq), however i restored access modifying host files using this method
The two are the same website. The "new" one is just the "old" one with the needed IP address correction probably due to Nintendo knocking the domain address away from the site owner OR the site owner refusing to renew ownership of the domain as he saw the writing on the wall.

What really mattered was having that encTitleKeys.bin when the CDN downloaders were working.

Now the bigger question is, will we lose the DSiWare, updates, and DLCs, too? I wonder if Nintendo's going to stop here or go for the Wii U next...

Reactions: NFates

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
The two are the same website. The "new" one is just the "old" one with the needed IP address correction probably due to Nintendo knocking the domain address away from the site owner OR the site owner refusing to renew ownership of the domain as he saw the writing on the wall.

What really mattered was having that encTitleKeys.bin when the CDN downloaders were working.

Now the bigger question is, will we lose the DSiWare, updates, and DLCs, too? I wonder if Nintendo's going to stop here or go for the Wii U next...
If I had to choose a side, I'd say the Wii U will stay as is, and they will focus on doing this on the Switch instead (they haven't, right?).

Mysuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I'm actually surprised they didn't block DLCs considering some of them are paid. Maybe it's the next step? Honestly i recommend everyone to start making backups of updates and DLCs while its still possible, i did mine a long time ago (alongside games).

As for the Wii U i'm guessing it'll need a firmware update as well just like the 3DS, i would start making backups too just in case.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to choose a side, I'd say the Wii U will stay as is, and they will focus on doing this on the Switch instead (they haven't, right?).
I haven't followed the Switch scene because of how toxic it is in its current state. Also, no money to buy a Switch lol. The 3DS suits all my needs.

I don't know how the process works, but it's supposedly possible to download games from the CDN server for the Switch by sacrificing other Switches to act as some sort of middle man. Those Switches eventually get banned when Nintendo sees too many downloads coming from them.

I'm not familiar how it exactly works on the Switch, but I don't believe this process can be applied for the 3DS. :unsure:

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
I haven't followed the Switch scene because of how toxic it is in its current state. Also, no money to buy a Switch lol. The 3DS suits all my needs.

I don't know how the process works, but it's supposedly possible to download games from the CDN server for the Switch by sacrificing other Switches to act as some sort of middle man. Those Switches eventually get banned when Nintendo sees too many downloads coming from them.

I'm not familiar how it exactly works on the Switch, but I don't believe this process can be applied for the 3DS. :unsure:
We're in the same boat: I don't follow the Switch scene nor have a console, but I try to read stuff from time to time to not be a complete zero if I do get one.

You just explained to me how Switch CDN downloads work. I didn't know at all. :P

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Took them a while to patch it though. There are still other ways to pirate stuff. It just takes a couple or more steps to get it.
All they took from us is convenience. :rofl2:
Most of the kids around here didn't even get into 3ds piracy before Freeshop, and easy to install homebrew. When I brewed my 3ds, you still needed a console on or below 9.2 and had to download cia or even *shrugs* convert them yourselves from xci... Those were the dark times, that now come again. This will cost minutes of my life.

Reactions: ov3rkill

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was a nice convenience for a while. the menuhax and xorpad generation days were a bitch, at least we have godmode9 now to do a lot of work for us, just not our own personal piracy cloud drive.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was a nice convenience for a while. the menuhax and xorpad generation days were a bitch, at least we have godmode9 now to do a lot of work for us, just not our own personal piracy cloud drive.
Tbh, it was not that bad. My 3ds booted 8 to 9 out of 10 times with menuhax and the xorpad generation / 3ds to cia conversion took maybe 5 minutes. It's not like you had to do this for ten new games a day.
But yeah, Freeshop was unbelievably convenient and it was equally unbelievable that it lasted this long. How long has it been around? 2 years?

Last edited by wurstpistole,

splatty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What needs to be done to remove/uninstall Freeshop? Is it as simple as deleting the freeshop folder from the SD or does more need to be done?

Mysuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What needs to be done to remove/uninstall Freeshop? Is it as simple as deleting the freeshop folder from the SD or does more need to be done?

Depends how you installed it. If it's the cia version you can uninstall from system settings just like a normal game. The 3dsx version you just delete the file from the 3DS folder and i think the freeshop folder created there.

Last edited by Mysuke,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be obvious but DSiware seems to be unaffected.

Right now Switch is only checking that you have a valid console certificate, which has to be taken from a real Switch console. These are being shared and used for CDN downloads as you described. There isn't a check that your game has a valid game-specific ticket corresponding to a specific console when requesting a download, which the 3DS now has. I'm kind of expecting they will implement such a thing with the next firmware update though, and that the 3DS may have been more of a testbed.

I can't see them doing anything to Wii U other than shutting the servers down completely. Literally nothing new comes out for that console and the ongoing e-sales have to be pitiful.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so theres no alternative to eh, trying out 3ds games?
Sites exist that distribute the CIAs. FBI exists, and other than banning you if they detect you using it Nintendo can't do anything about FBI. At best they can try and take down THAT site, but another will pop up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o