No headphone audio boosting plugin?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kibido, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Kibido
    OP

Kibido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    Are there none? The headphone volume on the thing is so low even when turned up to max.

2. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH uɐᖵ pǝɔuɐʌp∀ dɯǝʇ∀ꓭ⅁

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    Is it really that quiet?
    My N3DS XL is very loud :wtf:, I always play it with medium-low volume

3. Black ace

Black ace GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2010
    If its just the standard speakers, then its got a decent volume. But to avoid causing ear damage Nintendo lowered the total volume output when using headphones

4. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH uɐᖵ pǝɔuɐʌp∀ dɯǝʇ∀ꓭ⅁

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    Using headphones with the volume at max it makes my ears bleed...
    EDIT: You can even listen it without putting you the headphones :rofl:
    Maybe it's hardware fault? :unsure:
    (or maybe personal tastes)

Last edited by THEELEMENTKH, Feb 17, 2017
  5. Shikkichu

Shikkichu Just a Pika Girl~

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    Well there's this, it's a hardware mod, but simple to do: https://gbatemp.net/threads/hardwar...volume-of-your-3ds-some-models-so-far.400221/
    Go into your settings on your 3DS and change the audio from "Surround" to "Stereo" if it sounds muffled, idk random thing I saw when googling

Not really sure what else to tell you, get better headphones if you don't already have? Pref with bass boosting, it'll "feel" louder, at least it does to me, but I also am hypersensitive

Kibido likes this.
  6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Why would 3DS have a surround sound option? How can you even get Surround audio on the system alone?

7. Black ace

Black ace GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2010
    I've actually just tried using my headphones again and its much louder than I remembered it. Perhaps it could be because I'm using the N3DS XL, I remember having low volume issues with the O3DS XL.

Could also be personal preference, been having to use lower volumes with headphones for the past year and a half when I noticed my ears were being damaged from loud volumes

8. Shikkichu

Shikkichu Just a Pika Girl~

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    Nintendo is weird like that, maybe they had plans they never met up to the idea of later down the line? (attachable speakers?)

My o3DS is super loud with my headphones, then again I have noise cancelling headphones that also boost the bass xmx

Last edited by Shikkichu, Feb 17, 2017
  9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well i mean the wii u game pad has the same setting. I dunno how was it supposed to work, espcially for game pad, but a console tv, sure it would make sense. I assume maybe nintendo planned to make a surround sound accessory purchasable or something, or least some kind of 3DS player for tv or whatever. (Like playstation vita tv) Would been nice, least if wii u could play CART NDS/3DS games. :)

10. MaK11-12

MaK11-12 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2009
    Namek
    It gives a surround sound effect, not actual support for surround sound speakers; it's still stereo.

11. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    @Kibido Volume too low?
    I use n3DS and Sennheiser HD800S together with this bad little boy (Fiio A3 portable amp). You can blow your ears off if you want.
    Its very portable, has built in battery and low-high gain for more sensitive iems (if you use them by any chance, it probably fires lasers out on high gain). Its not top audiophile grade, but its more than adequate for the dac that N3DS has :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by fatsquirrel, Feb 17, 2017
    Kibido likes this.
  12. MaK11-12

MaK11-12 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2009
    Namek
    Or you can connect the 3DS headphone port to your computers' microphone port, and listen through your computer. You can amplify the audio by changing microphone settings.

13. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.
    I'm still waiting for a hack like this. The headphone port either doesn't give enough power or the OS is limiting it. For now I use a small FiiO mini amp, it doesn't do much though.

14. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Thats not really amplifing...

Which Fiio are you using? Mine does the job superbly well and I use very high impedance power hungry headphones.
    If you are using IEM theres absolutely no reason it wouldnt crank the volume up to levels where it would be harmful to your hearing...

Last edited by fatsquirrel, Feb 17, 2017
  15. Minnow

Minnow GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2015
    Canada
    The volume is fine for me, and it's not like I bring my 3DS to busy/loud places anyway.

16. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Tuvalu
    there's a resistor afaik in the port, if you put a cable (solder?) to bypass it that will make it louder and better quality according to people who did a tutorial on this.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  17. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.
    E06 iirc. I'm not saying it's still low, it is high enough. But a bit more would be better for me as I love the Ace Attorney games to play its music loud. The amp to its max is like a medium volume range where it's just enough to hear everything.

The amp on my PC is great though, combined with my ATH-M50x it gives the sound quality a boost too.

18. cybrian

cybrian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    The resistors are 1mm x 2mm in size. I've done it, it's not exactly an easy mod. I probably would say no if someone offered me money to mod theirs just because I wouldn't want to risk breaking it.

19. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    I think your headphone might have an high impedance resulting in a really low volume

20. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    Recommends an external DAC in which audio gets outputted into device and outputted at a louder volume

But then says that Outputting the audio to PC (to use its onboard DAC) then outputting it at a higher volume isnt amplifying

[​IMG]

MaK11-12 likes this.