Nintendo's next handheld

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
First of all, sorry if this in the wrong section, I don't know where to put this.

When Nintendo announced the DS, I thought the video consoles of Nintendo had 3 'pillars' :

1st pillar: Nintendo homeconsole (currently the Wii)

2nd pillar: Nintendo handheld (currently the Gameboy Advance)

3rd pillar: Nintendo with another handheld the DS

So I know the DS isn't the continuator of the Gameboy series, but what will Nintendo do now?
The DS has sold great and made millions for Nintendo (and I think the DS is gonna earn way more money for Nintendo then the GBA), what will Nintendo do?
Will they continue with the 3rd pillar (the DS) or will the next handheld we will see from Nintendo be the continuator of the GBA?

NeverX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think all that third-pillar nonsense was just them doing a little damage prevention if the entire DS dual screen novelty never took off. But it did, so yeah, it's definitely replaced the GBA as their handheld gaming system.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
As pleased as I am with the Wii and DS, I will be very interested to see if they can update the graphical quality on both systems. This isn't a breaking point for me but it would be nice for Nintendo to match the superior graphics on both the PSP and 360. I know they could do it and by god it would be amazing to see all of their franchises in HD-quality graphics
tongue.gif

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
JKR Firefox said:
As pleased as I am with the Wii and DS, I will be very interested to see if they can update the graphical quality on both systems. This isn't a breaking point for me but it would be nice for Nintendo to match the superior graphics on both the PSP and 360. I know they could do it and by god it would be amazing to see all of their franchises in HD-quality graphics
tongue.gif

True, I too want better graphics on the next handheld of Nintendo.

Duke_Jay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Satangel said:
JKR Firefox said:
tongue.gif

Yes, it would be cool if they could combine the orginality of the DS and the Wii with superior graphics.
yaynds.gif

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo's next handheld will be the Gameboy 2.

The DS was an experiment to see how people would take to new control methods ... they have expanded on this with the Wii.

But, some time ago, they said that they had long-term plans for a new Gameboy, which, at the time, they referred to as the Gameboy 2.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
honestly.. I'm up for whatever lol
Seriously, I think I'll be fine with whatever direction they want to take their next handheld.
I am expecting one roughly psp sized touchscreen, and at least dreamcast level graphics

DarkUli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I freakin' love the touchscreen, and if they could somehow..Elevate that to a new, better handheld, it'd be great.

Somehow, this thing doesn't get old, haha.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:

The DS was an experiment to see how people would take to new control methods ... they have expanded on this with the Wii.

But, some time ago, they said that they had long-term plans for a new Gameboy, which, at the time, they referred to as the Gameboy 2.

No, it will not be the Gameboy 2. Nintendo has retired the name Gameboy.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jumpman17 said:
thebobevil said:

what makes you so sure?
I would be glad if they released a Gameboy 2

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jumpman17 said:
thebobevil said:

No-one said it will actually end up being called the Gameboy 2 ... Nintendo usually use working titles, before deciding on a final name ... but GAmeboy 2 is the product.

DarkUli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
awdofgum said:
bosscolor said:
Ds has a long life so we'll not see a new handheld from Nintendo in a couple of years

I don't think the DS can hold another 2 years or less, with it's limited hardware power.

True..And especially how things are advancing so fast!

Then again, neither can the PSP, the graphics will advance and it'll simply stay at that level.

Altough.. The DS uses graphics from..Around 2 or so generations back (PSX I believe) and yet it's still good.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
thebobevil said:

Yes.. the DS was an experiment.. and it ended up so well that they decided to experiment with the Wii also.. which is also selling ridiculously well. I don't see why they would go back..

Seeing how the DS is doing.. I don't expect it to be substituted at least until 2010..

Try2bcool

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They need to add an analog stick, have the upper screen be as big as the whole upper cover of the DSlite, have Bluetooth capabilities, and it needs to have Wii graphics capabilites (which shouldn't be that difficult...let's face it, they aren't all that advanced).
Oh, and it needs to have a usb and/or media card slot on it so you can use it as a media player for mp3, divx, etc...

Wait a minute! All you would have to do is add a touch screen to a PSP!!
rofl2.gif

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
Try2bcool said:
They need to add an analog stick, have the upper screen be as big as the whole upper cover of the DSlite, have Bluetooth capabilities, and it needs to have Wii graphics capabilites (which shouldn't be that difficult...let's face it, they aren't all that advanced).
Oh, and it needs to have a usb and/or media card slot on it so you can use it as a media player for mp3, divx, etc...

Wait a minute! All you would have to do is add a touch screen to a PSP!!
rofl2.gif

and one another very important feature.....
It MUST can be hack for play rom
grog.gif

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It'll come out within mid 2008, to early 09. Also, if you noticed, the sales of DS are decreasing quite a bit, and now psp has more sales. But I don't find that so surprising, because half of Japan has a DS.....

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Satangel said:
JKR Firefox said:
tongue.gif

Me too. Agreed. PSP have good graphics, why Nintendo can't do it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY