Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
With the direction a lot of companies are moving in, I'd guess they might be trying to come up with a VR solution like the Oculus Rift. Virtual Boy 2?

I just feel that too many VR headsets are going to oversaturate and destroy the market, because nobody will know what to design for. Hopefully I'm wrong.
There's already work being done on common APIs and SDKs that will work across all VR headsets. The last thing any hardware manufacturer wants with this round of VR is lack of software support.

Reactions: Sicklyboy
D

Deleted User

Actually that has potential.
Many party games on Consoles are popular because of the fact that you can use a smartphone as a controller.
I can imagine a Mario Party game where everyone has a smart phone in their hand to control the game. Which is great because that saves the hassle of telling everyone to bring their Wiimotes with them.
What I'm not so keen about is that this is announced now instead of in 2 years where Wii U becomes less relevant or before Wii U release where the announcement would be more relevant to current gen consoles.
I'm interested
Mario Party would suck with Smart Phone controls, as do all games that are controlled by smudging finger grease on gorilla glass.
Perhaps if a Smart phone with buttons and pressure touch screens existed, I would be more on board. Perhaps the new device will be a 3DS successor that can make phone calls?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Party would suck with Smart Phone controls, as do all games that are controlled by smudging finger grease on gorilla glass.
Perhaps if a Smart phone with buttons and pressure touch screens existed, I would be more on board.

Not saying they WILL, and this is totally speculation, but what if Nintendo a) created an OFFICIAL app to pair, say, a Wii remote to the mobile device, or b) released a brand new budget controller for use specifically with smart devices?

D

Deleted User

Not saying they WILL, and this is totally speculation, but what if Nintendo a) created an OFFICIAL app to pair, say, a Wii remote to the mobile device, or b) released a brand new budget controller for use specifically with smart devices?
I'd rather Nintendo just made their own smart device. The New 3DS comes pretty close to a smartphone without phonecalls and text and it has a better touch screen than the most expensive smart phones I've used (iPhone 4s and Samsung Galaxy).

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather Nintendo just made their own smart device. The New 3DS comes pretty close to a smartphone without phonecalls and text and it has a better touch screen than the most expensive smart phones I've used (iPhone 4s and Samsung Galaxy).

If they did, I'd prefer they did that in place of their next handheld, as opposed to alongside it. Either that or functionality is mostly the same across both (like iPhone/iPod; if you have one, you don't need both)

D

Deleted User

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...that-would-be-great-on-a-smartphone-or-tablet
*Facepalm* I don't think whoever wrote this has ever played a Metroid or SSB game. Also, Link to the Past is a SNES game not a GB game.
The sort of person who wrote this is from the same legacy of people who pushed Nintendo into the smartphone area

If they did, I'd prefer they did that in place of their next handheld, as opposed to alongside it. Either that or functionality is mostly the same across both (like iPhone/iPod; if you have one, you don't need both)
Agreed. Even now The New 3DS can already do most Smartphone functions (you can even wirelessly transfer sd data now). If my New 3DS could make phone calls I wouldn't even bother with my plans to buy a Lumia 535. So if the New 3DS successor could make phone calls, or Nintendo's smart device could play N3DS games, there wouldn't be any point to having 2 devices.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Pluupy and VinsCool
D

Deleted User

That physically hurt to read
The Wii Sport's one was especially bad.
There's more to Wii Sports than just the fact it's motion controlled. You're also emulating the handle of a golf club/baseball bat/tennis racket/sword etc and a Smart Phone is the wrong shape for that. They even said themselves you would need a tablet + smart phone combo just to use the tablet as a screen which will be vastly inferior to your TV, add a Wii remote, sensor bar and complicated software to set them up on your smartphone ontop of that. You'd just be better off buying a Wii or Wii U + Wii Sports than a Tablet + Smartphone + Wii Sports.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii Sport's one was especially bad.
There's more to Wii Sports than just the fact it's motion controlled. You're also emulating the handle of a golf club/baseball bat/tennis racket/sword etc and a Smart Phone is the wrong shape for that. They even said themselves you would need a tablet + smart phone combo just to use the tablet as a screen which will be vastly inferior to your TV, add a Wii remote, sensor bar and complicated software to set them up on your smartphone ontop of that. You'd just be better off buying a Wii or Wii U + Wii Sports than a Tablet + Smartphone + Wii Sports.

Yeah, when I hit the Wii Sports, that's when I went "All my nopes!" Imagine trying to play baseball without being able to see the ball coming at you... Also the spelling errors...

Reactions: VinsCool

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The New 3DS is this generation's DSi. Less than a year after the DSi was released Nintendo confirmed a brand new handheld was coming.

Which really sucks, considering that I bought a DSi XL the holiday season before the 3DS was released XD That's the main reason I'm staying away from the -new- 3DS for now, since the next handheld will most likely be (-new-) 3DS backwards compatible

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Which really sucks, considering that I bought a DSi XL the holiday season before the 3DS was released XD That's the main reason I'm staying away from the -new- 3DS for now, since the next handheld will most likely be (-new-) 3DS backwards compatible

That happened to me too. Still using my dsi for ds gaems. Will do with my n3ds for 3ds gaems.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That happened to me too. Still using my dsi for ds gaems. Will do with my n3ds for 3ds gaems.

Meh, I'm waiting for the next generation. I'll survive, and I'll get MM3D at a discounted price used ;) I will also wait with the NX, unless it truly is as revolutionary as Nintendo says it will be (which I doubt), particularly if it's only going to be a "bridge" console between portable and console gaming

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Meh, I'm waiting for the next generation. I'll survive, and I'll get MM3D at a discounted price used ;) I will also wait with the NX, unless it truly is as revolutionary as Nintendo says it will be (which I doubt), particularly if it's only going to be a "bridge" console between portable and console gaming

Will have obsolete specs, but nintendo gaems. Instant buy from me.

#NintendoFan4Ever

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but all they need is to have 4K games, and they are the first of the next generation. done. xbox one and ps4 can't do 4k, so they got screwed for not waiting like smart nintendo.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
idk if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but all they need is to have 4K games, and they are the first of the next generation. done. xbox one and ps4 can't do 4k, so they got screwed for not waiting like smart nintendo.
4K is still expensive even by PC standards, and Nintendo has never been ahead of the curve in terms of hardware specs. They're always behind Sony and Microsoft, who in turn are always behind gaming PC specs for their consoles.

I think the smart bet is what some other people have been saying here: a touchscreen console that will include some exclusives and be able to run all the games that Nintendo will be releasing for other touchscreen devices as well.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
they wont do 4k, not unless they want it to cost $800+ that is

This, pretty much. Nintendo prefers to sell their hardware for profit than for loss, because their hardware is the only platform for their games, and they have to use outdated specs if they want to keep the price point low. As for their games, those exists SOLELY for the purpose of selling their hardware.

And besides, they've never really attempted to run the specs race - people keep wanting them to, but history have proven Nintendo doesn't need to. And I kinda don't want them to. I say let Microsoft and Sony keep running that rat race.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🛌