Nintendo's next-generation console is codenamed 'NX'

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have to assume the collective brain cell will not fire in time for them to do p1ngpong's suggestion. To that end I would say multiplat, PC, phone/tablet and the like would be a good step for them. Maybe make their own branded peripherals along the way. If I am dreaming then I hope consoles go the way of the dvd type market with everybody making the same baseline capable hardware with their own twist.

Equally I am going to enjoy seeing if they can make a product name that people will dislike more than this codename --dolphin was not bad, revolution had some decent sticking power and.

On three consoles... I am having flashbacks to that whole three pillars nonsense from the start of the DS.

As for the new 3ds I was kind of hoping it would be the GBC to the 3ds' GB.

All that said with the failures of the 3ds and Wii U I am curious to see what goes next. Bridges do not seem quite as badly burnt as the post 16 bit era but when others are actively courting developers and providing good infrastructure then it still looks like catch up.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd go with a new handheld, since the New3DS makes the impression that this would be the next logical step, considering the DSi was also just a stop-gap between DS and 3DS.

And its final name will be:

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id like to see them do something revolutionary again , maybe something like their own smaller lighter better version of MS hololens, their own AR/VR glasses

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Proof for those who actually believed that the "Fusion" would be a thing (although that could be the intended final name, but I have the feeling that if its anything, it's most likely a codename for the entire project overall)

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually that has potential.
Many party games on Consoles are popular because of the fact that you can use a smartphone as a controller.
I can imagine a Mario Party game where everyone has a smart phone in their hand to control the game. Which is great because that saves the hassle of telling everyone to bring their Wiimotes with them.
What I'm not so keen about is that this is announced now instead of in 2 years where Wii U becomes less relevant or before Wii U release where the announcement would be more relevant to current gen consoles.
I'm interested

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Why is everybody already assuming it will be a successor to the handheld or home console line? Even if you have the reading comprehension of a small child, you should be able to decipher that picture at the very top of the first post that clearly shows that Nintendo believes the NX to be a companion system to the current generation of hardware. It won't replace the Wii U or 3DS, but rather, it is apparently supposed to supplement them. It also won't be a fully featured phone, tablet, or computer based on that handy little picture. With that in mind, it is highly unlikely that it will bear a name too terribly similar to existing hardware unless Nintendo truly is the first company to exhibit the ability to collectively develop an extra 21st chromosome amongst all employees.

As for what the NX actually is, I assume it will be something that Nintendo will get everybody super hyped about prior to release that will then fall flat on its face.

inb4 Nintendo decides to attempt modern VR

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure your custom would be sourly lost amongst the millions of new customers snapping at their heels...

Yes, completely true. It saddens me deeply.
What saddens me more, is seeing people on the bus/street/school/fucking everywhere doing nothing but staring in the smartphones playing games that were probably designed for monkeys. Hell, even monkeys would think those games suck.
Sad thing is, same is happening to Japan, once heaven of real gaming. :(

Reactions: weatMod

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Inb4 people deem Nintendoomed ;O; :creep:

But seriously, what is this going to be, a console, a handheld/console hybrid?
Chary's idea about it seems accurate as to what this could be.

After all, they're mostly focusing on tablet/touchscreen devices and so it seems more likely for a Nintendo Smartphone than an actual game console.

Reactions: Chary

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chary's idea about it seems accurate as to what this could be.

After all, they're mostly focusing on tablet/touchscreen devices and so it seems more likely for a Nintendo Smartphone than an actual game console.

And yet people don't know anything definitive and still they make baseless judgments and assume Nintendo will still be doomed, so, really just another day on the Temp.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My tuppence:
They're looking at Plus and Gold, and thinking "we'll do that". And why not. This Club Nintendo replacement will end up being just that if you ask me - a subscription based program, encompassing Wii U & 3DS (both aren't gonna last much longer), mobile/tablet (replacing 3DS), this NX (proper, no nonsense console to rival PS4/One - hopefully with more horsepower given its late showing, replacing Wii U) - simple structure that Sony uses (and is clearly working for them)
PC getting a mention though - now that's even more interesting! Might just be an app for it to control membership content across their platforms though...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
And yet people don't know anything definitive and still they make baseless judgments and assume Nintendo will still be doomed, so, really just another day on the Temp.
Nintendo arrived late for the Skylanders party and now to the Smartphone but being that the Nintendo brand sells itself it'll have no problem being more lucrative than others out there.

Once this is a reality the handheld gaming systems will be a thing of the past since Nintendo is the only one still standing. Okay there's the Sony too but with the Vita doing so badly this is probably Sony's last attempt at it.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Proof for those who actually believed that the "Fusion" would be a thing (although that could be the intended final name, but I have the feeling that if its anything, it's most likely a codename for the entire project overall)

Well, NX (which could be a shortened version of NeXt) could be Nintendo Cross, in which it could be a cross between a console and handheld.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Cross? I can't see that name going over well and it end up being called the Nintendo 10 or Nintendo X. You never in the US hear people call the blue playstaion button the Cross button (it's proper name), it is always called the EX or X/x button.

On the other hand I can see the Nintendo Cross being it's internal code and/or non-finalized name.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
everyone laughed at me when i said the fusion was coming...but i didn't expect it to be this crap! moving into the mobile market will be the worst decision and maybe even the last they ever make.

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.